August 28, 2018

Blackmagic Design Releases Footage From Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Blackmagic has begun rolling out material for its updated Pocket Cinema Camera.

When it comes to the news cycle, April seems like a long time ago. That's when we first heard Blackmagic Design introduce its Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. An update to the popular BMPCC, the BMPCC 4K is a Micro Four Thirds (MFT) HDR sensor with a native 4096 x 2160px resolution, dual native ISO up to 25,600, and 13 stops of dynamic range. It's tiny and powerful.

The camera is available for pre-order for $1,295 and expected to be released this September. We've already seen cages announced from 8Sinn and LockCircle. Now the Australian company has released footage shot of the camera from cinematographer/editor Mark Wyatt

This is what Wyatt had to say: "The camera tests I wanted to do were in the forests and waterfalls on the outer West Coast of Canada. I was really interested in seeing how the new sensor would handle these harsh lighting conditions. By increasing the ISO to an impressive 1250 and 2500, it allowed me to capture the dark moss-lined walls and unique emerald color, yet also hold onto the highlight detail of the top of the waterfall and sky. I feel most cameras would likely struggle with this scene.”

The footage was shot using RAW and varying ISO at 400, 1250, and 2500. For lenses, a Sigma 18-35mm was paired with a Rokinon Cine 50mm EF and a Metabones Speedbooster to Micro Four Thirds.

Wyatt also mentioned that he only had the camera for a few days, adding, "The weight of the camera is very liberating, especially when you are used to using larger camera systems. The screen is big and bright enough to use in daylight, which I found great for judging focus and exposure. And, the colors too on the screen, were also nicely represented. In fact, I would argue it is Blackmagic’s best screen yet.”

Tech Specs:

• Full size MFT sized sensor
  • Native 4096 x 2160px resolution
  • 13 stops of dynamic range
  • Up to 25,600 ISO
  • Carbon fiber polycarbonate composite body
  • Built-in SD, UHS-II and CFast card recorders
  • USB-C expansion port for external SSD or flash disk
  • Features full size HDMI output
  • Professional mini XLR
  • 3.5mm audio jack
  • Built in 5” LCD touchscreen
  • 3D LUTs
  • 4th-gen color science
  • Supports remote camera control via Bluetooth

Looks like my GH5 just became a B cam.

August 28, 2018 at 11:02AM, Edited August 28, 11:02AM

Alex Alva

You made that assessment from seeing 1 video?

August 28, 2018 at 12:31PM, Edited August 28, 12:31PM

Reggie Brown
Cinematographer

Yeah, I was just hyperbolizing to make the point that I really enjoyed this footage and that it looks promising. I'm just excited that another MFT is coming out with really good IQ.

August 28, 2018 at 12:42PM, Edited August 28, 12:42PM

Alex Alva

I have an Ursa Mini Pro and a GH5.......and my GH5 has just gone up for sale! And yes.....from only seeing 1 video. LOL.

In all seriousness though, I want my cameras to live in the same color science and I absolutely love BM's menu system.

August 28, 2018 at 3:59PM, Edited August 28, 3:59PM

Ian Mora
Writer, Director, Editor, Camera Operator

LOL

August 28, 2018 at 7:14PM

Reggie Brown
Cinematographer

It looks as good as I was hoping. Nice colors and clean image.

August 28, 2018 at 12:05PM

Less than a month from release and this is the first footage we're seeing.... smells fishy to me.

August 28, 2018 at 12:36PM

Chris Kas
Jack of all trades

Why's that?

August 28, 2018 at 12:42PM

Alex Alva

The HDR version of this footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J9WhtDVuKM

August 28, 2018 at 2:56PM

phong

There is so many compression issues in that video. It's horrendous. I will stick with watching the SDR.

August 28, 2018 at 3:40PM

Alex Alva

But it looks like they just took the sdr version and graded it in hdr, right?

August 28, 2018 at 5:07PM

Álex Montoya
Writer/Director

Yeah, technically it has the appropriate nits to be considered HDR but if you're going to refer to something as "high" it at least should be high quality and not introduce a bunch of macroblocking.

August 28, 2018 at 5:29PM

Alex Alva

Can anyone share some info on what suitcase he used to carry spare batteries in?

August 28, 2018 at 3:48PM

Torben Greve
Cinematographer

Now do skin-tones

August 28, 2018 at 6:40PM

To properly evaluate the camera, they should provide footage of people, we need to see the skin tone. Who the heck always shoot in the forest??
I haven't invested in any Blackmagic camera because I always feels their camera's rendering of the color is a bit off.... looking at trees and grasses that share the same green palette simply can't give a objective judgement of the color rendering.

August 28, 2018 at 7:06PM

Sam

Here is the skin tone test for the BMP 4K prores hq.

August 28, 2018 at 8:46PM

Juan
Camera Operator/ DP

Footage looks good, but then again, each of the models has heavy makeup/foundation on the face, that's probably why the skin tone look so even.

August 28, 2018 at 10:33PM

Sam

And what exactly means "skin tone"? I think that term shouldn't be used, it's just too ambiguous and while not racist "per se" it's certainly not the best to describe the wide range of human melanin concentration on skin. I understand it is a term used historicaly by the photo industry, but I guess it's about time to stop using it, don't you agree?

September 3, 2018 at 7:35AM, Edited September 3, 7:36AM

Skin tone is just that: live humans and doesn't have to imply "white Caucasian" skin tone. The footage that has been referenced contained at least 4-5 different racial mixes and didn't start out with the white woman; that hardly seems like a racist approach to camera color evaluation. I like shooting landscapes as much as anyone, but I wouldn't buy anything without seeing how it handled people.

September 3, 2018 at 4:24PM, Edited September 3, 4:24PM

Douglas Bowker
Animation, Video, Motion-Graphics

Keyboard warriors.

August 28, 2018 at 7:22PM, Edited August 28, 7:21PM

Bobby Vu
Director & Photographer

Here is the skin tone test. Footage looks ok in my opinion. Definitely better than any dslr/mirrowless cameras in the market except for theGH5s which might be a bit inferior than BMP Raw

August 28, 2018 at 8:52PM, Edited August 28, 8:52PM

Juan
Camera Operator/ DP

I'd discount John Brawley's video. The color pallet surrounding the people subjects in his video are really dull and brown + orange 5500k color temp.

August 29, 2018 at 2:38AM

Vincent Gortho
none

Underexposed areas - like the man's suit and back wall are pretty awful

August 31, 2018 at 12:13PM

erloshA

Looks like much awaited camera of the century...!!
Gonna buy it as soon as it releases in Dubai.

August 29, 2018 at 3:10AM, Edited August 29, 3:10AM