This kit from RØDE simplifies not only recording audio on the fly but also monitoring it.
RØDE wants to take the guesswork out of your audio recording and monitoring with its recently released Mobile Interview Kit. This Lightning-connected recording solution allows you to hook up not only two lav mics but also your headphones for direct monitoring. It's made up of one SC6-L input/output breakout box specifically designed for Apple iOS devices, including both smartphones and tablets, two smartLav+ lavalier mics, clips, windshields, and many other desirable add-ons that not only allow you to conduct your run-and-gun interviews more effortlessly but are also capable of producing broadcast quality sound.
Ease of use is a great feature of any piece of filmmaking equipment, but that the end of the day, quality is the real dealmaker. For many documentarians, indie filmmakers, and run-and-gun shooters, RØDE's inexpensive smartLav+ was the solution they'd been looking for. The smartLav+ is a 4.5mm omnidirectional mini lav mic with Kevlar reinforced cables that was designed specifically for use with Apple mobile devices, the idea being that those who are recording on the go usually use their smartphones to do so.
The second piece to the Mobile Interview Kit is the SC6-L. This little device is an input/output breakout box that allows you to connect directly to iOS devices via a Lightning connection, which is the main difference between it and the original SC6. Built with two TRRS inputs and one stereo headphone output for monitoring, the SC6-L connects to any TRRS device.
To make recording easier, the kit is optimized to be used with the RØDE Reporter app, which allows you to monitor directly, customize settings according to your specific needs (boost gain, stereo and dual mono, etc.) record uncompressed or compressed formats, as well as high-res 24-bit, 48kHz stereo/mono.
- OS Requirements: iOS 11 and higher
- Bus Powered: Yes
- Direct Monitor: Yes
- Sample Rates: 44.1/48 kHz
- Bit Depth: 24-bit
- Simultaneous I/O: 2/2
- Computer Connectivity: Lightning (iPhone/iPad/iPod)
- Analog Outputs: 3.5mm TRS Headphone Output
- Output Connection: SC6-L: 3.5mm Headphone Output
- SmartLav+: Gold-plated TRRS plug
- Power Requirements: Powered from iPhone TRRS socket (2.7V)
- Maximum SPL: n/a
- Equivalent Noise: 25 dB Typical
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 69 dB
- Frequency Range: SC6L: 20Hz - 20 kHz; SmartLav+: 60 Hz - 18 kHz
- Polar Pattern: Omni-directional
- Active Electronics: JFET
- Acoustic Principle: Permanently Polarised Condenser
- Weight: 53g
- Material: PC and ABS Plastic
No word yet on price. To learn more about the RØDE Mobile Interview Kit, head on over to the company's website.