It's much more than just a large microphone.
Sennheiser teased its Memory Mic—a wireless option for smartphones— during NAB 2018, and our first reaction was "this mic is big." Once Sennheiser spoke about its capabilities, however, it became a little more interesting.
The wearable microphone is available now and can record up to four hours of audio at any distance from your phone. Here's how it works.
After downloading the free Memory Mic app (Apple or Android) from Sennheiser, you can connect the Memory Mic to your phone via Bluetooth. Once you start recording audio on the Memory Mic you no longer need to stay in Bluetooth range. Its internal storage records and stores up to four hours of 16-bit/48 kHz audio.
When you've stopped recording, the app can sync the audio and video via Bluetooth. The app also allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the Memory Mic at three different levels for softer and louder audio. Since the Memory Mic does not use an input on the phone, you can simultaneously record the phone audio which can be mixed later on.
The Memory Mic is attached via a magnetic clip and features an omnidirectional condenser capsule with a good frequency response for voices at 100—20,000 Hz. Two glaring drawbacks are its size and color. At 30g and white, it will be hard to conceal like a traditional lavalier. Sennheiser says the device is aimed at journalists, vloggers, and presenters, but as filmmakers, it has some viability as well for things like shooting walk-and-talks from behind, car scenes where you can plant the mic in a visor, or picking up audio at a distance.
A full charge of its lithium-polymer battery provides up to four hours of operating time and can be recharged via USB port in about two hours (ne hour provides 70% battery capacity). Street price is set at $200.
- Android version 5.1 or later; iOS version 10.2 or later
- Bluetooth 4.1 or later; WLAN IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
- Transmission frequencies: 2.4 to 2.4835 GHz
- RF output power: ≤ 10 mW
- Max. sound pressure level: 119 dB SPL
- Capsule: prepolarised condenser microphone
- Pick-up pattern: omni-directional
- Frequency response: 100 – 20,000 Hz
- Data stream bit resolution: 48 kHz/16 bit
- Operating time: ≤ 4 h
- Power supply: rechargeable lithium-polymer battery; 3.7 VDC, 360 mAh
- Charging current: 5 V, 500 mA via USB
- Charging time: 70% charge: ≤ 1 h; 100% charge: ≤ 2 h
- Dimensions: approx. 51 x 37 x 16 mm
- Weight: approx. 30 g
- Temperature range: Operation: 0°C to +40°C; Storage: -20°C to +70°C