October 8, 2018

This DIY Pizza Dolly Will Make Your Camera Moves Smoother than Melted Mutz

If you need an emergency dolly for your smartphone camera, this DIY hack is as easy as pie.

Along with Thanksgiving and National Coming Out Day (which is in just three days!), National Pizza Day is one of my favorite holidays. So when I came across this little filmmaking hack, you can imagine my frustration knowing that we're four months too early for publishing the perfect pizza/filmmaking combo post. But guess what, I'm gonna do it anyway because it's cool. And easy. And free if you've got a pizza cutter. So, here you go! The team over at COOPH shows you how to turn a regular ol' pizza cutter into a DIY dolly for your smartphone filmmaking needs. Check it out below:

I wholeheartedly believe in the aphorism, "If it looks stupid but works, then it ain't stupid." This thing looks totally stupid, but it looks like it works pretty well. Is it ideal? I mean, no. I've cut enough pizzas in my life to know how friggin' unwieldy pizza cutters can be—trying with all your might to slice a perfect acute angle but ending up with an irregularly polygonal trash pizza instead. Dumb.

However, if you don't have the money to invest in some smartphone filmmaking gear or just want to get a quick dolly shot on the fly, then this hack might be worth a try. Grab some rubber bands, a pizza cutter, and slice away. Just, you know, watch your fingies—and surfaces.

I wonder how this footage is going to CUT TOGETHER. Get it guys? CUT TOGETHER? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

October 9, 2018 at 3:54AM

Are you kidding ..... le sigh

October 9, 2018 at 11:59AM

This is so stupid.
Is this the future where young filmer go? OMG.

October 9, 2018 at 12:03PM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator/Owner

If it's working it ain't stupid

October 12, 2018 at 4:58AM

Are we being trolled? I feel like we're being trolled.

I mean, it works? But I can't imagine how shaky the footage would be. The editing in the video seems to cover up most of the shot. Maybe the image stabilization in the phone can compensate? I would just hold the phone with my hands and shift my body from right-to-left rather than stick it to a pizza cutter WITH RUBBER BANDS.

However, that being said, maybe this could be an option if you wanted to get a shot of a pizza cutter slicing pizza from that angle? Still probably wouldn't be useable footage.

October 9, 2018 at 12:57PM, Edited October 9, 12:57PM

Andrew Robertson
Video Producer

For longer moves, why not try using the pizza itself? A crisp base and plenty of flour is recommended. If you choose a Quattro Formaggio, you could perform some impressive parallax pans in the middle of the pizza - Gouda gives the best resistance.

October 9, 2018 at 4:41PM

For the whiny naysayers, perhaps you missed this phrase in the first sentence:

"If you need an emergency dolly..."

A lot of you seem to forget that No Film School is for ALL levels of filmmakers, in all disciplines. The simplest solution for the complainers is to NOT READ and NOT COMMENT on stories you believe are beneath you. But that wouldn't do much to puff up your egos, would it? (Let me get out a preemptory "F you" to people jumping on my case.)

EDIT: I'm not saying the whiny naysayers shouldn't read and comment, it's certainly their right. But just because you can doesn't mean you should. Sometimes it just makes you come across as, well, whiny naysayers.

October 12, 2018 at 2:05PM, Edited October 12, 2:08PM

Well, my friend...

It would be easier and less shaky, if you put the camera on a piece of cloth or sheet of paper and just slide the thing over the table.

October 13, 2018 at 3:27AM