June 30, 2011

Final Cut Pro X is New and Unfamiliar. Here's 2.5 Hours of Free Training.

Video learning site Izzy Video has created a 2.5 hour Final Cut Pro X online training course -- and released it for free. Many of the tutorials at Izzy's site are normally part of a paid membership, but you can go watch this one in its 26-part entirety, without charge. I haven't done a tutorial on nonlinear video editing since 1998, when I first learned how to edit on a Media 100. But when I booted up Final Cut Pro X this week, I was lost. I couldn't even drag a clip onto the timeline because the behavior was completely new. So much thanks to Izzy for posting.

Due to bandwidth issues, Izzy took down the project files (which were originally available for download), but you can easily follow along without them -- just substitute your own footage (the project files are just video clips).

Link: Final Cut Pro X Tutorial, Web-Based and Totally Free! | Izzy Video

[Thanks, @BrettSnelgrove]

Very nice find.

June 30, 2011 at 12:09PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Alec Sprinkle

Fantastic. I appreciate anyone presenting information that helps us learn FCPX instead all of the complaining.

June 30, 2011 at 12:12PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

JS

I second that!

July 3, 2011 at 10:51PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Anthony Haden S...

Amen.

July 4, 2011 at 1:39PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Mandrew

Yup...me too.

August 12, 2011 at 1:03PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

ralf

Apple finally posted this FAQ 8 days after FCP X was released. For some reason there is no link to the FAQ from the FCP X first page:

June 30, 2011 at 1:33PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Michael Clark

The FAQ is so available from the first page in the BIG BOX that says "Answers to your questions about Final Cut Pro X". It's RIGHT THERE !!!!!

June 30, 2011 at 10:36PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

I finally opened FCP X this morning and felt remarkably confused so I'm very thankful for this. Now knowing exactly how frustrating the new UI can be, you really have to wonder how much of this 'overwhelming anger' is really just misdirected UI frustration.

June 30, 2011 at 3:42PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Carlos

And by this I mean that if Apple had just left the 'classic' UI with speed improvements and magnetic timeline option, with all the things missing that are missing now - would reaction really be this acidic?

June 30, 2011 at 3:54PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Carlos

This how to video training of the UI is just what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

July 1, 2011 at 8:16AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Abersouth

You are the best!

July 1, 2011 at 5:14PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Rafa Sanchez

To be fair to Apple, I watched a few of these videos and really, really tried to get into FCP X on my own machine. I'm just not ready yet to switch.

July 1, 2011 at 7:57PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

swester

Is it actually good tho? Keep on hearing bad things about this new version.

July 3, 2011 at 12:02AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

You guys (Izzy & No Film School) Rock Rock Rock - you made my day !!

July 3, 2011 at 10:35AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

A Madsen

I had a job to do with lots of mixed footage, formats, frame rates, sizes, etc. It was driving me crazy and FCP 7.0 required me create a whole load of different sequences, and just wasn't handling the data very well. Totally frustrated I opened up FCP X, imported them and exported again with absolutely no problem whatsover. I didn't even have to tell it anything about my clips - and I had a set of perfectly rendered, high quality video. So definitely it is good for this kind of job. Now I'm editing my own full HD documentary footage, but I'm not ready to go through the learning curve for a complex editing job and all of the data management involved. I'm comfortable with FCP 7.0. But I'm definitely going to watch these training video. Thanks for posting.

July 14, 2011 at 6:42PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM