September 13, 2011

We Have 10 Days to Make History: #ManChild Could Be the Most Funded Film in Kickstarter Narrative History

Big news about Man-child today, thanks to you! Three things:

FIRST: with only ten days left in my campaign to make my first feature film, I just discovered that if we're successful, we will make history. I didn't start out with this goal in mind, but as I was exploring Kickstarter I found that if Man-child is funded it will become the single most funded project to be listed in Kickstarter's narrative film category. Wow.

SECOND: we are officially most of the way there. Most of the way to making history, that is! 51% and counting. However, the campaign is ending next Friday. As you know by now, Kickstarter projects are all-or-nothing, so if we don't make history we'll make... nothing. Now is a great time to get on board!

THIRD: last week's Twitter outreach campaign was extremely effective. Thank you to everyone who helped reach the basketball community -- it was a classic case of "strength in numbers," as I never could've done it alone. In fact, we now have a success story worthy of an official press release (after the jump). What happened? Well, we were able to reach none other than one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time:

The "Phil" from this tweet is 11-time NBA champion coach Phil Jackson, who coached Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Shaquille O'Neal and has more NBA championship rings than anyone in history. The tweet itself is from Jeanie Buss, EVP of Business Operations for the Los Angeles Lakers. To both of them: thank you for making a huge difference. It was truly one of those magical, unexpected moments in life; I saw that the project had received a bump and so I logged into Kickstarter to see where it came from. This was my reaction:

After I finished picking up the pieces of my exploded head, I realized this was a potentially newsworthy item to help attract the larger basketball community to the Man-child campaign. So I enlisted some help from my roommate (who works in the PR world), and just now issued this press release.

Special thanks to @StereoMob, @natekaramanski, @Efowl4, @vtkproductions, @soniglf, @fishxpressions, @WhoIsTheRockman, @Morris_Young, @WagonTrailBrew, @edwardkwak, @ihateyourfavmov, @jnzproductions, @ambigouslilly, @Everything_Film, @CineDSLR, @galaxyTwelve, @nobull408, @zdlldz, @ChunkyB101, @MVBotefuhr, @ThePrain, @pgrandstaff, @Miles_McNamara, @jenna_payne, and @natums for reaching out to the basketball community on Twitter and making this possible. You are the #manchild #streatteam! Sorry for anyone I missed -- and thanks to everyone else who has twittered or otherwise shared it so far, as we are more than halfway to making history because of you. ((Outside of Kickstarter's narrative film category, there are a few films (though not many) that have raised more than Man-child's goal. However, they are all documentaries (and one animated film) with the possible exception of the in-a-class-of-its-own Save Blue Like Jazz, which is based on a bestselling spirituality book. As it is based on a autobiography of sorts, I suspect it will be a narrative, but they chose not to list their film as a narrative, so Man-child will be the most-funded film in the narrative category -- if we make it, that is.))

Here's the video of the Twitter campaign, which is most definitely still relevant (the twitter lists mentioned are here):

Sorry about all the "ums" and "ahs" -- I'm working on getting better on camera (I'm used to being behind it, after all)...

And thank you for your support over these last 10 days! If you know of any outlets that might be interested in this news, here's a link to the press release. And while we're officially "most of the way there," 49% is a lot to cover in 10 days. A LOT. I truly appreciate any sharing efforts you can make during this home stretch!

[Phil Jackson photo by Keith Allison]

Really exciting! We're all pulling for you.

September 13, 2011

Ryan Jacobi

Dude – you got me. I'm not that into basketball but your story is intriguing. Even more intriguing to me is your approach to film-making and the use of new media to do it.

I recently found your site and have found it extremely useful in my personal goal (more like a dream) to become a filmmaker as well. For now I'll continue playing in the world of startups but as a thank you I'll be backing your film later tonight.

Best of luck brother, I hope you can pull it off!

Also, has anyone told you that you look and sound like Justin Long? ;)

September 13, 2011

Thanks Dan!

It's funny, there are two guys I get: Keanu Reeves and Justin Long. Never anyone else! We're all Asian-ish, so it makes sense...

September 13, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

That's OK man – it's better than what I get. Todd Phillips – the director of Old School and the Hangover who likes to put himself into his own films as the creepy perverted guy. My girlfriend is not a fan when my friends bring it up.

September 13, 2011

Ha, that is pretty bad. I just remember that one film where he makes a cameo in the elevator...

September 13, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Hi Koo,

Just found your site a few weeks ago and I I think your site and info is great. I am also considering taking the online self-promotion route instead of film school because of you. Thanks for all the great knowledge and advice. I pledged $10 to your film. It's not much, but I hope that someday people would do the same for me on my projects. Good luck with your film, and I can't wait to see the final product!

September 14, 2011

Jake Huddleston

I have to say this has been a stressful campaign to follow. I want to see you succeed in this and I really want to see the power of kickstarter really prove itself here. I plan on going the crowd funding direction for my next couple projects so this site has really given a lot of inspiration on how to do it.

Seriously, this is the best website ever. I check it everyday, sometimes multiple times haha.

September 14, 2011

Thank you Jake and Andy!

September 14, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I just pledged $150. Also, I can donate audio post production services if/when you get to post-production. That stuff is expensive ... better to spend money in front of the camera, I think. Anyway, I hope you reach the goal! Love this site!

September 15, 2011

Thanks so much Stu! And yes, I figure spend most of it to get it in the can and if I have to edit and color correct it all myself (worst case scenario), it's better to spend it in front of the camera.

September 17, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Koo, I just made a modest donation to your project and wish it could be significantly more. While planning your project you've also found to the time to create and maintain what is by far the most information rich and useful site for modern indie film making (my opinion only, but I'm pretty confident I've got it right)–an amazing accomplishment.

Along with what I imagine to be thousands of others who subscribe to your weekly update and/or visit the site regularly, I have benefited greatly. After years in LA and NYC in the belly of the beast, I've moved to the boondocks in Massachusetts so the connection you provide the the daily goings on in this exciting time for filmmakers, is irreplaceable. So thank you.

My real motivation in writing this is to make a plea to my fellow consumers of Nofilmschool to give something back for all you've done. . . . I want to say to them - "COME ON GUYS, HELP KOO OUT HERE. TIME TO OPEN THE WALLET AND GIVE. HE DESERVES IT ON EVERY LEVEL.

Thanks Koo,
Tim

September 16, 2011

tim

Thank YOU Tim and glad to have you as a reader!

September 17, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Did you ever consider to use Indiegogo.com instead of kickstarter?

September 16, 2011