We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

October 16, 2011

Two Weeks Remain to Get 50% Off Adobe Premiere Pro or Production Premium for Avid and Apple Editors

In addition to 20% off upgrades to CS5.5 for everyone through the end of 2011, Adobe's offer of 50% off Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium or Premiere Pro for Apple Final Cut Pro or Avid Media Composer customers expires October 31st. As I mentioned when the deal went live, here's the coupon code, and some more details as well as a video about the discount:

Apple Final Cut Pro and Avid Media Composer customers can receive a savings of 50% off the full version of Adobe® Creative Suite® 5.5 Production Premium (Mac OS or Windows®) or Adobe Premiere® Pro CS5.5 software purchased through the Adobe Store. Adobe customers who own suite editions or individual products that qualify for upgrade pricing for Production Premium are also eligible to receive the same price (50% off the full version of Production Premium). When purchasing through the online Adobe Store, you must enter offer code SWITCH in the shopping cart before checking out when prompted to do so.

Adobe has also launched a dedicated website for switchers, which highlights such issues as being able to use all of Final Cut Pro's keyboard shortcuts within Premiere (which I've covered in the past).

Link: Adobe 50% Off Offer (use the code SWITCH)

I'd like to note that, for students (regardless of highschool, college, middle school level) there is at least a 75% for you in the Education store.

October 16, 2011

Chris Hubbard

Good point. But educational versions to the best of my knowledge can't be upgraded later, so if it's 50% vs 75% I would say in many situations the full version is worth it...

October 17, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

plus: educational versions usually have different terms of use, meaning you can't lawfully use them for commercial content, just for learning or teaching; given that, a 75% discount doesn't seem enough to me

October 17, 2011

@Samuel: Actually, you can use Adobe's educational versions for commercial purposes. (Although back when they had both Student editions and Academic editions, only the Academic could be used commercially.) As far as I know, the only limitations for the educational versions now are that you can only buy 1 copy per year, and you can't resell it.

@Koo: If you mean you can't change the educational version to a commercial version, I believe you're right...but the only reason you'd even need to switch to the commercial version is if you want to resell it (see my comment about limitations above.) I've spoken directly with Adobe about upgrading from an educational version, and at least with CS5 and CS5.5, you can upgrade them just as you would a commercial version (i.e. move from CS5.5 educational to CS6 commercial at standard upgrade price.)

The way Adobe has it set up now, the educational versions really are a fantastic deal.

October 24, 2011

Nathanael

Adobe education versions can be used professionally after the user finishes school. Not the case for Avid and other education versions. Thanks Adobe!

October 18, 2011

w

October 22, 2011

n

Adobe's laying off 750 people and discontinuing Flash for mobile devices. Seems to run in stark contrast with everything they've been saying about how critical Flash is for mobile devices.

Just read about it in the Wall Street Journal. Posting here because I'm sure many NFS readers will find it as interesting (and surprising) as I did.

Wall Street Journal story about it: http://tinyurl.com/cz85f33