We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

December 31, 2012

Online Cinematheque MUBI Now Streaming 30 Curated Films a Month for $5

If you're tired of digging through Netflix or Hulu for harder to find films, there are some options out there for you to consider. MUBI (formerly The Auteurs), an "online cinematheque," is a website dedicated to film culture, conversation, and criticism. They also have been doing online VOD streaming for a while now, but a new format has been rolling out in Turkey, Norway, and the UK, and now it's about to launch in the United States. It's quite a departure from the way most streaming sites are organized, but the site, which is partnered with The Criterion Collection and other art house distributors, already does things a little differently than everyone else.

Here is an excerpt from their announcement:

Every day we’ll curate a wonderful new film and you’ll get 30 days to enjoy it. 30 beautiful, hand-picked movies to watch at any time, with a new one waiting for you to enjoy every morning—all for just $4.99 a month.

MUBI's existing library will remain available for subscribers to watch through the next month on mubi.com. After that, you'll have 30 terrific, hand-picked films available to you, with a new title added each day.

If you're wondering exactly how this will work, here's a brief Q&A to explain:

How does the MUBI subscription package work? Every day, we introduce you to a new film our programmers love, and you have 30 days to watch it. That means there are always 30 films available to watch no matter when you log in. It's like your own never-ending film festival, constantly refreshed and personally curated.

What happened to the full MUBI.com website? Don't worry! Our social networking features and community forum, as well as our film database and editorial content like Notebook, are all still there. They can be accessed at this link, or by clicking the “Go to MUBI Social” link in the social menu.

How many films can I watch now? We always have 30 films available to watch. Every morning we add one new film, and the oldest film in the selection disappears.

What time does the Film of the Day become available? The Film of the Day is updated at midnight.

How do I know how much longer a film will be available? If a film is expiring in less than five days, we'll let you know on its film page. When a film displays “1 day left,” you can start watching it at any time before 11:59pm on that day.

The Auteurs was an excellent source of true criticism much like Cahiers du Cinéma, the famous French film magazine. That excellence has continued with MUBI, and now with the new curated streaming service, they are trying to make it easier to find quality art house or foreign films. While the new format may have something to do with cost, it's still pretty cheap considering it's only about 17 cents per movie. The new service won't compare to the number that's on a site like Netflix or Amazon, but MUBI is able to stream a lot of movies that may not be available in any other format, and will most likely not be streaming anywhere else -- so it might be a service to add in addition to one you already subscribe to.

If you're interested in broadening the scope of your entertainment a bit, head on over to MUBI and check out their new streaming service with a 30 day free trial by using this promo code: popcorn. Even if you don't want to try out the VOD streaming, MUBI is still a fantastic community of people who love films, and they have daily content involving news, film criticism, and film theory that is quite a bit more nuanced than your average local film reviewer.

Links:

Mubi is really cool, but I've been waiting for them to make an app/channel available for more devices, specifically, Roku.

December 31, 2012

Shenan

If I were a movie snob, "I'd buy that for a (five) dollar(s)!" The price is right, but the model may not be for everyone. Since they make their catalog available for one day per film, I can see how easily it would be to get backlogged. I don't have a ravenous cinematic appetite nor the time, what with the site, social media and other projects/gigs, to watch 30 films in a month. Though if you are a hardcore cinefile, this is a steal.

January 1, 2013

DIYFilmSchool.net

I think you may have misread. Each film is available for 30 days, not 1 day per film.

January 1, 2013

Bdizzle

MUBI is one of the coolest film sites.

January 1, 2013

maghoxfr

If this service is not on Roku or similar like Apple TV or bluray boxes its nearly worthless to me. I only watch movies on my TV at home.

January 1, 2013

Earnest reply

I use a HDMI from my computer to my TV or Blu-ray player if I want to use an online service. I definitely know where you are coming from, you should look into your options there.

January 1, 2013

Hello Joe,
Thank you for a great piece on MUBI. We work hard. Hit me up for a free subscription. :)

Best,
/efe
MUBI

January 2, 2013

Can I have a free subscription? haha. Love the idea though. I like netflix but sometimes I don't know what to watch because there is so much. Weird problem I know, but with a smaller selection I would watch more movies I wouldn't normally. Which is why I like having the movie channels on TV because sometimes there is a movie that is on so I watch it but I probably wouldn't have started watching it on my own.

January 3, 2013

Jason

I wonder how will new model look like. I have always been huge fan of Mubi, especially because I had the possibility to watch rare movies, which I could't find elsewhere. In my region (Germany) there were more than 1000 movies available. This was my favourite video library, and every day I watched a new movie across the world.

But I am a little bit suspicious about the new model. And more suspicious I am after watching this mubi-trailer. I mean, "The Big Lebowsky", "Lost in translation", "Taxi driver" - aren't those movies everybody already watched? Will this handpicking point out only mainstream?

I loved Mubi for all the movies from Japan, Iran, Australia, Russia etc. - from each country at least 10 movies were available without time limitation. Now I will have only 30 movies a month, and - evenmore - most of them are available in each videocenter... My fear is just, mubi could become just another streaming website... And after all: perhaps I'm too selfish, but I want to pick the movies myself, even from a limited amount of 1000 movies, than to wait till curators pick up the movie I like. Nothing against the curators, I just hope, they will avoid the mediocrity of movies everybody can watch everywhere. I wish more rare movies, more cineastic experiences, more inspiring diversity. And honestly, for this diversity I would pay more than before. Otherwise the genial concept of mubi will disappear in the rush for public demand ("more mainstream, unless they won't watch us").

I just hope my fears are groundless...

January 14, 2013

I'm not sure I understand the new mubi. Is the original library of over 800 titles gone? Because that was the main reason I was on mubi. They have a wonderful selection. But if there's only going to be 30 movies now, and if I might have seen them all before, then why continue?

January 22, 2013

Hugo

So even if you don't know what I want to talk about ecosystems and how they're effected by their environment.

You can see that dispersal is integrating
things across regions, and though they receive a lot of these issues are ecology exam 2 coalescing, increasing systremic risk.
So lucky for us, there's a woman in front. Starting out on the
first, and so on.

January 6, 2014

Euh êtes vous certyain de ce quе vߋus affirmez ?

April 6, 2014