January 16, 2013

New Sony F5 Camera Taken for a Spin in Short Film 'The Contract'

We have seen a few examples of what the new Sony F55 is capable of, but there aren't really many samples showing what its similar-looking sibling, the F5, can do. A group of students over at USC produced a recent project called The Contract that was shot exclusively with the new camera, and they wanted to explore just how - the camera was and how it would perform in mixed-light situations. Check out the movie, written and directed by Rodney Hooks, below.

There is some NSFW language:

Here is a bit of the process that went into the movie:

The opening Car scene is shot handheld from the backseat with a 50mm lens set at T2. On the hood of the car is a Lite Panel Mini with a remote dimmer attached to the top of my camera so I can ride the key light on the actors “to taste”.  I found this to be wonderfully liberating and allowed me to participate in the creative process even more intimately.

The scene as they pull up and sit in front of the house is where the Plasma lights came in. We were able to light from across the street with no cabling or generator. Each lamp was powered by its own battery belt that sustained it for hours. All the lights were gelled and softened to some degree and we still had plenty of stop with the cameras very sensitive ISO.

The “argument” in front of the house is shot with 650w lamps bounced off of board and a 1k through a 4x4 silk.  All this is plugged into the locations house power. We utilized 75mm and 100mm lenses shot at T2. I think the skin tones turned out marvelous.

Color Timing all these scenes at Shapeshifter under the supervision of Randy Coonfield was a revelation and joy. We discovered enormous dynamic range. The files had a gentle sensitivity to them that allowed for subtle color correction and adjustment. Having done my own color and black and white printing of still photographs for many years I enjoyed this aspect of our process tremendously.

The “fireplace” sequence was one of our dynamic range tests.  Again we used small instruments bounced off of boards with a 400w lamp gelled with 216 and CTB edging our actors. The fire was reading around T22 in a scene that was shot at T2. The waveform monitor built into the Sony Monitor was starting to peak out past legal yet we sustained color and some detail in this beautiful effect.

Our “ Garage” scene was filmed late at night but of course lit to play as morning.  Again the Plasma lights came into play to create the  “Sun” coming through the slightly frosted windows. It was set to be very hot, almost “”out of control” to give the scene a sense of realism. These lamps are naturally daylight balanced and I left it raw while using tungsten lamps on the additional lighting. I love to mix color temperatures and feel the Camera captured the mood and quality I was working for.

We haven't talked too much about Hive lighting, but the company makes plasma lights similar to the technology in the Zacuto light, but much more concentrated and more like a traditional Tungsten head. These are the most efficient lights per watt in terms of their output currently available, and they obviously proved to be extremely helpful on the shoot.

As far as the camera is concerned, they rated the it at 1200 ISO and shot in XAVC HD, but S-Log was not implemented in the camera yet. There is a ton of dynamic range in the camera, but whether it's as much as the F55 remains to be seen -- though they are both rated at 14-stops. Some of you will surely say just like the other shorts that the images don't seem as cinematic as some other cameras (namely Arri and RED), but I think we're getting to a point where digital is digital, and the looks are going to be more accepted as we move away from film. Even watching this on Vimeo it's clear that the encoder and the down-scaler is doing an incredible job. It's too bad Sony couldn't have released this camera instead of the F3, as it literally takes everything that was good about that camera, and multiplies it by 10, without adding all that much to the cost -- but I guess that's the march forward of technology and everything gets better.

Head on over to the Sony forum to read more about the production.

What do you think of the short? How about the actual performance of the camera itself?

Link: NEW Production shot on the F5 "The Contract" -- Sony Forum

What was that film even about?

Unwatchable student film.

Shanon Fernald

What are you talking about? The story was really nice, the actors were good, the lighting was beautiful and the camerawork was solid. I have seen "unwatchable student films" and this is definitely not one of it!

January 17, 2013

Heiko

why do we readers of NFS have to be subjected to such kindergarten sentiments. The post clearly states ===> "The Contract that was shot exclusively with the new camera, and they wanted to explore just how - the camera was and how it would perform in mixed-light situations"

why do we keep having art convos about exclusively technical subjects

thadon calico

in addition , from their vimeoo page ===> "Some of our intention technically was to explore it’s native ISO ( we rated it at 1200 ) , it’s dynamic range and the cameras color sensitivity especially to mixed color temperature light sources"

PLEASE READ SHIT THOROUGHLY B4 COMMENTING

thadon calico

It makes the insecure feel better - it's not complicated

January 17, 2013

brett

The post asked the question "What do you guys think of the short?" Commenting with one's thoughts on the short is a perfectly sensible thing to do. Bitching that other people commented on the short is a little neurotic. Maybe you are responding to the "unwatchable student film" comment, but I just literally didn't understand what the film was about. The story made little sense to me. The image looks fine. The detail and dynamic range look great. The lighting and sound design weren't perfect, but yeah, it was a student film. Lighten up.

January 17, 2013

na u lighten up....the creators of the short told u about their intent...now u wouldn't use a Ferrari coupe to pick up trash in the streets, would u?...this short's intent isn't meant to showcase their story telling skills just the technical abilities of the cam....maybe i should post that again cos u are not READING THEIR WRITE UPS

January 19, 2013

thadon calico

Wow. That cam is going to really sell. Love his lighting scheme too.
With the Zeiss Ultras, this is essentially the same rig used for a LOT of TV drama. I can see most Sony owner/ops moving to this rather than the F55.

marklondon

Yeah, all they really need now is solid support and workflows for XAVC.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Yep. Can't keep putting everything through Smoke :-) I imagine we'll see Avid/FCP integration asap.

marklondon

Yeah, that's really the way these cameras will succeed. Drag and drop will make lots of people very happy.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

The camera looks great, and I'm sure it will look even better once they manage to get it s-logged. And the skin tones were right on par with any other high-end digital cinema camera out there, at least in my opinion.

However, with the exception of the first few shots in the car, the camera work and the framings in this short were not very good, especially in the front yard scene. The lighting was well done, though. Also, I'm really interested in the potential of plasma lighting in the future.

Robert

Plasma lighting is just insanity. They are approaching Tungsten CRI - I know there is some contention about the CRI number in general but stay with me - last thousands of hours with no degradation, and are 10 times as efficient as Tungsten lights - not to mention they are immediately more pleasing to look at than LEDs.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Camera really looks great - beautiful color and resolution - guess the DSLR era is really coming to an end...

Lance B

What is this statement based upon? There's a big difference between the F5 and a DSLR beyond image quality and for most of us low budget indie filmmakers it's the difference in price between a Canon 5D mkiii and an F5.

Why is it every time a new camera comes out there's a need to call it a "insert camera model here" -Killer? I'd be surprised if people weren't still shooting on DSLRs in 5yrs time. Don't forget that a lot of people like the form factor of DSLRs and they like having a camera that shoots great video AND stills saving them having to invest in two separate systems.

Neil

Hey I love the DSLR form factor and am probably one of the only posters here who has actually shot and released a Redbox Top 10 movie that was 100% Canon DSLR - but there is no DSLR today that can come close to the image in this short. The resolution, color and dynamic range are just fantastic and far better than even the Canon 1D C which I love.

4K is here to stay and Sony has done a great job catching up with Red with these new cameras.

January 18, 2013

Lance B

So Lance B, what's the name of your movie?

January 18, 2013

dixter

I think you missed Neil's point -- that it doesn't make any sense to compare this camera to a conventional DSLR. The F5 was designed with completely different functionality, capability, and market in mind and that nature is reflected in its form factor, price, and specifications. Saying that DSLRs will be irrelevant because of this camera's existence makes little sense relative to its place in the market.
The only DSLR camera with a remote relevance to the F5 would be the Canon 1D C, which, as you know, is a specialty cinema-optimized model of the 1D X and only just recently went on sale.

January 18, 2013

Blah

That was the on-board codec with no slog! damn, that camera encodes really well for the internet.

ryan

Hats off to Sony. They are neck and neck with ARRI now in terms of image quality.

Mark

It still looks for video-y to me. Visually the short was rather boring. Not a fan of the Sony look at all. Like you said in the post, not very cinematic.

I thought the performances of the actors were pretty good but the overall writing was not very entertaining. The music was awful. It started pulling the film into the over dramatic corny territory.

Wilhelm

its a student film, ease up

ryan

The footage looks glossy, super sharp, and non-film like. Don't get me wrong, it looks good, it just doesn't look like film, and that's not necessarily a bad thing depending on what you're shooting. The BMCC looks like (Super 16mm) film, and I've even tricked some of my friends into believing BMCC was indeed film footage in a blind test.

Some Guy

This is easily remedied. Want your 13-14 stop digi-cinema cam to look like film? Post work is as follows:
1. de-focus the image slightly
2. use warm diffusion (highlights mostly)
3. add grain

Tune to taste.
Voila, film look is fully emulated.

January 17, 2013

No need to ease up. It was put out for the public to judge.

vinceGortho

Color engine is thatnof the f3. the f55 has the f65 color engine and superior skin tones.

jordan

Indeed this camera looks nice , Was this shot as compressed 2k since thats the highest resolution in camera for the F5. It kinda favors the canon 4k 1dc footage, but there seems to be a tad more detail.

The real question, is if one purchases this or USED/REFURBISHED F3, right now you can get a decent
F3 for about 6.5 or $7000 which is not bad, it may not the quite the pinpoint resolution as F5 but F3 with SLOG is no slouch.

Jayy Slocum

Where's best to get a used F3?

vinceGortho

What the movie was about ?

Nygel bissel

My God...Apparently this camera seems to capture almost everything you put in front of it very finely and vividly. I see people commenting that this camera looks video-y and I can see what they are referring to. The F5 is almost too clear and clean of and image. To get this camera to "look like film" you will have to "dirty up" the image in post with filters, crushing blacks, limiting highlight brightness etc. I love the power of what you can get straight from this cam but it just may be arguably too clean of an image. I think one's post work is where it will truly be determined.

January 16, 2013

I had the same response to a lot of The Hobbit. Went and saw it last night in 2D and a lot of it - especially facial closeups - were startlingly sharp and clear. There was a clinically clean feel to it with no texture or soul.

David

Film grain and dirt is soul now? Wow.

January 17, 2013

Natt

I thought s-log (or s-log2) was out of the box on the F5? IS that not the case?

Peter

Yeah they were using the camera before the final release firmware.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

FYI .... Hobbit looked awful in IMAX with a 2k DCP.

Mark

Good ol RED ONE MX kills this Camera. So much more filmic. This looks way to video...

mike

Keep dreaming.

jordan

Look at the details in the face from the still, the detail is there and again, this in-camera compressed with no s-log

As far as all the critic on the film not being perfect, ease up its a student film and technically this post was geared around technical aspects of the camera, so technically if you are looking at specs the subject matter
is irrelevant. If you want a more film look then add grain, the little so far from this camera looks promising,

Jayy Slocum

Don't forget to crush the blacks as well!
I still work with film. Its nice, but I am not in the camp that it has something unreachable digitally.
Look at Skyfall - that's a DOP who has been working with digital for a while. It looks stunning on a big screen - on anything smaller its breath-taking.
Does this footage look amazing for a first shoot by people who've never worked with the camera before? Hell yes. Try shooting 35mm with only a miniLED without having ever shot it before and see how you get on. :-)
I kid, but I am mostly serious.

marklondon

Its weird how obsessed some people are with "filmic." I haven't shot on film so I don't have any need/nostalgia. I respect it but don't require it. If motion rendering is the only problem for this camera, then the pros murder the cons.

ryan

Its because digital cameras (well, I guess the RED is an exception if you expose it correctly, light it correctly, and use certain lenses) still havent gotten to film yet in terms of dynamic range and color and "organics" of the image (forgive me for using that word)

john jeffreys

Like I said above, I think that sentiment will disappear as film goes away. I think the Alexa is still the best at this, but I'm sure there will be a point in time when people think something looks old if it resembles film too much.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Yes Joe, I agree with you here. I would say Arri Alexa then Red One Mx then Red Epic and then the Panavision Genesis and Sony F65.

This is my OPINION.....probably most of you won't agree :))

mike

Watch 1080P version of the Oblivion trailer, shot with F65...

You do not get those skintones with Epic.

January 18, 2013

Juhan-i

I think Joe is right about that. But I'm not sure I'm happy about it. :(

January 17, 2013

Like many things before it, I think that'll be true...until it's not. Analog synths gave way to digital synths. Uniquely digital sounds are more popular than ever but almost every software and hardware synth maker is also tripping over itself to make virtual and/or actual analog synths. Vinyl records and tape cassettes gave way to CDs and the various digital file formats. But, how many times have you heard someone add pops and crackles or the sound of boombox transport buttons to a song? Solid state took over the audio world for a time until vacuum tubes came back with a vengeance. It seems like more and more young people who grew up in the bland, cookie-cutter suburbs are moving to the city because they find it more genuine and appealing (at least where I live).

Film looks awesome. Digital bests it at some things but most humans find film very pleasing to look at. I think after so much visual sterility and clinical precision, the film look will be a welcome change. What was old will be new again and I guarantee whoever does it will be called some kind of genius or trailblazer to those kids who grew up on squeaky clean images (it'll have to be the right project at the right time). That is, unless, they crack the "film look" soon with next gen sensors like Dragon or whatever Arri comes up with next.

January 17, 2013

Brian

I may be wrong but I think it's the cadence, how the signal resolves detail is what people are comparing to real celluloid being "filmic" or or even "organic". It's a digital signal, super clean. I see no problem getting this footage as "organic" or "filmic" in post as you like. It's all there and won't fall apart in post especially with a professional doing the tweaking. Most would crap their pants if they saw what real celluloid looked like straight out of 35mm camera. This is the future, look at how much better our iPhone pics turn out once the right filter is applied. Same goes here just on a much larger scale. The cameras are arriving one by one at a rapid rate so there's no excuse there. I speak for myself when i say I better concentrate more on my lighting and post production skills rather then what specs a camera has. In my humble opinion all the new releases have been really nice so far. I realize the only thing that can make the image pretty now is me. The details all there.

Anthony Marino

True, the new generation of moviegoers actually prefer the "video" look. Ask any young kid and they will tell you that they prefer the clean digital look. But real celluloid straight out of 35mm camera looks awesome, I have shot a lot and often you can go with it with just a one light transfer and it looks good. No need to "tweek" as much with film as with digital. But I guess the freedom with digital cameras is so much better. Even if I love film I have to say that film is dead.

mike

Mostly I agree with that. I think people who haven't shot film would be shocked how often '1 lights' get used and often regraded from the digital transfer not from the original neg. However, I don't miss matching footage across days/emulsions. Digital means those days are mostly dead for me :-)

marklondon