Adobe Releases First Major Update for Premiere Pro CC

One of the chief criticisms of the new Adobe CC suite is that you are constantly paying for the software, and at some point, if you decide you don't want to pay for it anymore, you won't have access to your work until you pay again. While Adobe has said they are looking into ways to improve the situation, one of the reasons they have said for doing this is that they are able to improve the software much more frequently. It looks like they are making good on that with the release of the first major update for Adobe Premiere Pro CC less than one month after it was released.

reTooled posted this fantastic video showing off some of the major updates and how they affect your editing:

Here is the full list of Premiere updates:

1. Anywhere for video support

2. Duplicating a title in a sequence creates a new, unique title, which can be independently edited from the original.

3. Lift and Extract can be used when only an In or Out point is set (if only an In is set, Lift/Extract will use the end of the sequence as the Out point; if only an Out is set, the beginning of the sequence will be used for the In point).

4. Copy, Cut, and Clear commands work between In and Out points on targeted tracks when no clips are selected.

5. When a sequence is loaded in the Source Monitor, keyboard shortcuts can be used to navigate to edit points (Up/Down keys by default).

6. Keyboard shortcuts can be used to clear In/Out points on clips in the Project Panel.

7. The Enable Clip command now works as a toggle when multiple clips are selected, such that any disabled clips become enabled and vice versa.

8. The Match Frame command will prioritize a selected clip over a targeted track.

9. The Relink command can now be used on a sequence containing offline media.

10. The Export EDL dialog now contains the option to include or exclude Transitions and the Key Track.

11. The Reveal In Project command now works from the Source Monitor.

12. A preference has been added to select whether or not playback jumps to the beginning of the Timeline or a Clip once the end has been reached.

13. A button has been added to the Timeline Panel to globally Link or Unlink all clips in the sequence.

14. An assignable keyboard shortcut has been added to enable toggling between the Source and Program Monitors.

15. The Reveal In Finder command can now be used on clips in a sequence..

16. A default start timecode value for all new sequences can be set in the Timeline panel.

17. Clips can now be dragged from the Finder or Explorer directly into the Source Monitor.

18. The Match Frame command now works on Nested or Multi-Camera Source Sequences, first matching to the source sequence, then stepping back further to the original master clip used in that source sequence.

19. Offline audio clips are now displayed in red, matching offline video clips.

20. The Source Settings dialog can be accessed by right-clicking on Clips within the Timeline Panel.

21. A preference has been added to allow the Timeline Panel to be automatically focused after an Insert or Overwrite edit is performed.

22. The Auto-Save dialog is suppressed during editing, and auto saves will not occur if no changes have been made to the project.

23. The Tone Settings dialog allows users to set the amplitude and frequency of the Bars and Tone synthetic clip.

24. Closed Captions are displayed on thumbnails in the Captions panel.

25. Options have been added to the Automate To Sequence dialog for Still Clip Duration, giving control over whether still clips use the In/Out range or a specified number of frames per clip (for timelapse workflows).

Besides all of the individual updates, one of the biggest parts of this announcement is that Adobe Anywhere is finally available for Premiere CC and also for Prelude CC. If you missed what the fuss is all about with Adobe Anywhere, here's a great video from 1/29Creative which was a collaboration with Adobe:

Support for After Effects CC with Adobe Anywhere is going to be coming later in 2013, but you can start using it right now with Premiere and Prelude. This is more than just a bug fix update, and while I don't think anyone likes being locked into payment plans forever, this is one of the major benefits that you don't necessarily get when you own the software outright. If Adobe can continue offering major updates one after another, it will be a much better deal than if they were releasing major updates only once every six months or even every year.

We'll see how this plays out over the coming months, but it's a good sign that they will be trying to provide as much value as possible with the subscription. You can read more about the specific updates using the links below.

For those who've been looking for specific fixes or enhancements, does this update satisfy some of those? What other features are you looking for Adobe to add or change in Premiere Pro CC?

Links:

wow that is awesome, and would come in handy a lot (talking about the adobe anywhere). One thing I think adobe could do is follow black magic's footsteps and offer a free but limited version of premier. Limited to HD? no mercury? Limited finishing options?

Im sure they will figure out something, this is exciting!

Kevin

The entire playback engine is build around Mercury - I think you mean no CUDA/OpenCL.

July 12, 2013

Ok

Adobes new slogan should be "Adobe - one step closer to Apple". All Premier Pro is doing is slowly moving to become FCPX. next update they will have "Magnetic Timeline Toggle" watch and see.

Jimmylee

How? By adding much requested features without having to wait a year? I don't understand your logic...

July 11, 2013

Doesn't Premiere already do that?

Tommy

Next thing you know, they'll have native support for Red footage as well! Oh wait...

Gabe

LOL

July 11, 2013

I hear they're thinking of adding curves. Oh wait...

July 12, 2013

MATT DAMON

July 12, 2013

Jules

i actually like some of these updates.
though my feeling is what really matters in premiere is cutting and just few basic effects. id much prefer to do more complicated transitions/fx in AE so im ok for Now

Kazu

18. The Match Frame command now works on Nested or Multi-Camera Source

Wow... Simples but I always tried that and nothing. lol

Alex Mand

How was this not already a feature?

Chris

Before that, you had to make sure you renamed the clip before editing or the original would also change, and that made no sense.

FabDex

This feature alone makes me tempted to switch to the CC version.

July 11, 2013

Jeremy - what are you waiting for?

July 18, 2013

Nice. New features. But they should focus on the enormous bug list of 7.0.
Its like a beta version.

Paul Jay

It fixed the multicam issue. Thank god. Working nicely. Good buy if you are a student/teacher at $19.99 for the suite.

SMD

A lot of changes that show that Adobe are not stubborn and actually listen to user requests. PP CC is my favourite editing software.

Stu Mannion

/me Rolls Eyes

Cancelled my CC last week.
Couldn't get over the overwhelming dependence and then inevitable price hike in a year.

However, it was fun to have them offer me 3 different discounts to try to keep my business - Everything but my simple request of not screwing me in a year...

And of course they're releasing features and "making good on" - what part of trying to get their numbers up currently to justify the subscription move don't you get?

sigh...

Jer

hmmm, seems more like bug fixes. I really like their programs but it is not worth $50 a month for a year subscription for light users. I only need the production premium suite. I would subscribe if it was only $20 a month for the production suite and maybe $10 more for a month or two for one additional program if I needed it. Adobe sure knows how to screw their customers long term.

Patrick M

the thing adobe doesn't get is that will on increase the number of people who bootleg their software.

July 12, 2013

chopnshoot

I used to pirate Adobe product, not I have creative cloud. Because I love subscription models. For me, its a subscription based MONEY generator.

Creative cloud is a great bargain.

July 12, 2013

Tom

As a Adobe CC customer I was really looking forward to Prelude, in order to quickly arrange mountains of footage. It's turned out a major disappointment. Prelude does not support .MTS files. Prelude cannot manage about half the footage in my work, so it is of very little use to me.
The constant updates of the Adobe CC software are nice. There is one drawback however. You will constantly be taking time to learn the new stuff. Time that otherwise would be invested in getting the job done.

July 12, 2013

Richard

Once you start working in Premiere Pro CC you are stuck. Premiere Pro CC does not save out to CS6 project files. If you cancel subscription you cannot open your PP CC source files... game over. But backwards-compatibility to CS6 is not the real solution to the source file issue anyway. The core issue is a legal one when Adobe denies users access to their own Intellectual Property in the first place. Intellectual Property is defined in the 1976 Copyright Act: Article I, Section 8, Clause 8 of the United States Constitution, also known as the Copyright Clause which covers Intellectual Property. Adobe cannot legally control, administer, withhold, or perpetually charge you to access your own Intellectual Property.

July 12, 2013

Razor

Although I'm not a fan of this model if you cancel and need to work on a project later just pay for a months worth and cancel again. Kind of a pain but if you don't need it everyday it might be a good way to go.

July 12, 2013

That's not a satisfactory solution per the law. That's still Adobe administering and maintaining a hold on your Intellectual Property.

July 13, 2013

Razor

If your that worried about going back to your projects, start saving XML's when the project is done.

July 13, 2013

David Sharp

Really wish I can get Adobe Anywhere running. Doesn't seem to be any information on how to get it started. I see "server", "Username", and "Password". That is it.

July 12, 2013

You need to have a server setup to run Adobe Anywhere as far as I can tell.

Here is a link to the basic hardware needed: http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/a...

I wish I could just use my home system to get it to share a project with someone but that seems a bit optimistic.

Imagine being able to shoot today and have someone edit at night across the globe and render it out for a client in the morning! It will be a game changer for sure for corporate videos and other small projects.

July 22, 2013

Dan Herrick

I use CS6, but I decided to learn FCPX...I detest subscriptions.

July 12, 2013

moebius22

Another great improvment is the return of control surface integration. It was suppressed since the CS3 (?) and now back.
It give me the possibility to work again with my old but still very good Tascam FW-1082 (using mackie protocol).
The jog/shuttle is fine, also the potentiometers.

July 12, 2013

Great tutorial!

July 13, 2013

ooookay, does anybody else have the feeling that this just makes it possible for adobe to release unfinished software and fix it afterwards? it's just like the demise of the consoles! every since they added the online-feature to the ps3 and xbox, they ship out unfinished, buggy software.
just another way to make more money and faster, with one mayor victim, the buyer....

July 13, 2013

Andreas W.

My latest observations/rant:

But first, David Pogue, of the NY Times, just the other day wrote a piece re the great controversy caused by Adobe's cloud. More specific to Photoshop users but same disgruntlement as Premiere users. For those who haven't heard there's a petition going on at change.org. It had over 35,000 signers. Pogue called the petition doomed from the start. Adobe had already forecasted and factored in the disgruntlement.

I'd guess that Adobe thinks it can afford to lose as many users as Apple lost in it's debacle...

I'm certain that the other developers would like to follow suit but they know the old adage: The backs of the pioneers are filled with arrows. So, they are all grateful to Adobe for being the pioneer. Before we know it this will become the new normal.

I'm resisting the cloud and staying on CS6 for now. I just heard about the multi-cam bug which has now been fixed in this release. I hadn't heard about it and I'm glad. I depend on multi-cam. I can't imagine having to deal with that crap.

I'm sure that the pace of the updates will become dizzying and Adobe tech people will all default to suggesting that people with any kind of system problem, driver issue, etc.to upgrade to the latest build. And the sheeple will be driven into various states of inoperability.

We are forced to pay for what Adobe positions as a great benefit: improvements released on an unscheduled and frequent basis. Who ever said that was a good thing?

Adobe.

Of course one needn't upgrade until certain that needed functionality is intact. And who upgrades while in the middle of a project anyway? Right? Boy I'll bet that age-old rule will be forgotten.

I see some comments re the duplicate title function. The utility of the 'connectedness" if you will, of the titles is that it allows a quick change of design elements such as font, size, color. Kinda like how modern web design and print layout works: via style sheets that govern those elements. Imaging having a finished, lengthy, program with numerous titles throughout. Program-wide changes in all titles controlled by a particular template is beneficial.

I hope Adobe is not taking that function away.

Razor: Maybe that's why Adobe is now calling it a "membership".

N.K. Osborne: Adobe anywhere is a server-based solution, with users accessing the server via terminals that no longer need to be fast workstations. It requires that YOU have a server admin setup a fast server and network the users to it with fast connections, at a studio for example. It also works over the Internet for remote users. All Adobe app files and user program assets are housed on the server. Users are now unconcerned with the workstation, OS, Adobe apps, updates or anything else except programming content.

Something I just learned: Adobe has announced EOL for Encore.

July 13, 2013

wsmith

Still no Cinema DNG support. Ironic as the excerpt below says how Adobe led the industry toward Cinema DNG.

CinemaDNG is the result of an Adobe-led initiative to define an industry-wide open file format for digital cinema files.[1] CinemaDNG caters for sets of movie clips, each of which is a sequence of raw video images, accompanied by audio and metadata. CinemaDNG supports stereoscopic cameras and multiple audio channels. CinemaDNG specifies directory structures containing one or more video clips, and specifies requirements and constraints for the open format files, (DNG, TIFF, XMP, and/or MXF), within those directories, that contain the content of those clips.[2]

July 18, 2013

sean H

Personally I think it is strange that Adobe is now updating its software quicker then with prior versions. I use CS6 (.0.3 I think) and they always had the opportunity to give updates to users. So basically it's nothing new. What I very much dislike in those updates is the fact that you have to reinstall each and every plugin you have to work again and if you also use third party hardware then it is quite possibe that the latest version doesn't work properly and you'll have to wait for new drivers (here's looking at you Matrox, Blackmagic, Aja).

The discontinuation of Encore is also troublesome, we need to look elsewhere for DVD and Blu-ray mastering.
Is the next step looking elswhere for video editing? I guess it's time for me to give the new Edius 7 edition a try.
Perhaps go Boris Fx im stead of After effects? Who knows. All I know is there's live beyond Adobe if one doesn't want to be forced to monthly payments!

July 18, 2013

Ron - Thank you so much. Every point you made- Valid.

July 18, 2013

Dheep

Ill care about Adobe products when its not trying to force the cloud on us. I would love to see an article here on how poorly Adobe has done this.

July 18, 2013

andrew

#1. Pogue is nothing but an enormous Shill. I wonder where he puts his Sandwich board everyday when he gets home ?
#2. I dont want constant updates from MS OR Adobe or anyone else ! My PC is working fine Thank you. WHY would I screw it up yet again? And the Huge amount of time WASTED every time they need to "Spruce Things Up For My Benefit"
#3 I dont want a constantly changing PENCIL. I want to pick up my Pencil for a FEW weeks of PEACE and do some WORK maybe ? Or maybe Fun? Or have a Pencil that actually Works ?And according to Pogue you are a Technophobe because you might like some Peace & Quiet for a while ?
4. I'm through with Adobe - if not forever , for quite sometime. I was very Loyal but after the Crapping in the faces of all the Loyal customers - NO. Its bend over ,get Reamed and , OH ....Thank you for those Piddling updates "In The Cloud". The Cloud is not required, nor is it Necessary .

July 18, 2013

Dheep

great opportunities now for pixelmator, idraw, finalcutx .... betting adobe back pedals within a year or two

July 22, 2013

gregorylent

Adobe CC is the best for Avid that happened for years. We own a thanks to the staff at Adobe that they made it so easy for us to chose Media Composer.
Avid and some other companies should pay a bonus to the guy who came on that idea at Adobe.

July 23, 2013