Superproducer Ted Hope on...

EF & MFT 2.5K Blackmagic Cinema Cameras Just Got a Massive Price Drop

Blackmagic Cinema Camera - Micro 4-3 Mount Without Lens - FrontWe just got through talking about Blackmagic's low numbers for shipping Pocket Cinema Cameras, and the delay on the Production Camera 4K, but now we've got some pretty exciting news about their other camera straight from CEO Grant Petty. The 2.5K Blackmagic Cinema Camera, which we've told you is now shipping regularly from major resellers, just got a massive price drop. Instead of retailing for $3,000, the company has now reduced the camera's price to just $2,000. Here is what Petty said about the shipping dates:

The new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is now shipping and there is a software update for it posted on our web site.

There are some new features in the software for the Pocket Cinema Camera. You can now focus by pushing the focus button when using an active MFT lens. This makes it very easy to accurately focus. The focus peaking feature is still there and you enable it by double pressing the focus button. The focus zoom feature is enabled by double pressing the OK button.

There will be an update for the 2.5K Blackmagic Cinema Camera soon that will also add these features, plus new de-bayer processing that will improve the cameras sharpness when shooting non RAW files.

The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is not yet shipping as we need some more time. Our first batch of sensors was delivered only this week, so we have not been able to complete the software for the camera. We expect to start shipping in about 3 to 4 weeks once the final software work and testing is completed.

Here he is on the price drop (emphasis mine):

We have worked very hard over the last year to be able to build the Blackmagic Cinema Camera at a lower cost so we can reduce the price and allow access to digital filming to a wide range of cinematographers and photographers.

We have done it and from today the Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF and MFT models will be reduced in price to US$1,995. This is very exciting and is one of the proudest moments of my life to be able to do this!

I think people will be able to use the savings to invest in some exciting lenses and rigs to really boost the creative possibilities. The Blackmagic Cinema Camera is a fantastic design that's now well proven. The advantage of the 2.5K sensor is it has enough resolution to eliminate the bayer resolution loss of a HD sensor, but when shooting RAW it produces files that are too not to big to store and work with easily. It's a fantastic solution.

All orders placed that have not yet been filled, can be reduced to the new lower price.

This is absolutely dirt cheap when you consider that the camera still comes with a full version of DaVinci Resolve, a program that retails for almost $1,000. If you were to buy that software plus UltraScope separately, you're almost getting the camera for free. There is no doubt that Blackmagic wants to take some of the heat off for not quite delivering on time with the new cameras, though this is definitely a more interesting way to do it. Obviously if you bought a camera only recently, you're probably disappointed that you could have saved $1,000 from the retail price, but that's kind of the way it is with any product.

Grant also mentioned that they've developed a new community for content creators called Splice:

So I have created a new community page where we have people talking about their stories and posting their projects and images online. It’s not about Blackmagic here, as I really just want to share people's stories about their work and how they got started in the industry.

I get to talk to so many people from thousands of post production and broadcast facilities, so I hope this website lets others enjoy these stories as well.

When we proposed this website to people in the industry, they were really receptive to the idea and have been fantastic in supporting it. They have really opened up and shared the tough times as well as the good times. They have explained how they got started in the industry and even the big breaks that made them who they are today. It’s fantastic and we are so lucky that we have had this support.

If you are interested in reading these stories, please head to www.splicecommunity.com

I hope that Splice will be a community space where you can go to see the background stories behind so many great projects. We will feature everything we can from feature films, shorts, TVCs and documentaries. There are loads of projects from directors, DPs, editors, colorists, visual effects artists and post houses who have all shared their stories.

With all of the recent developments with other camera systems, and the missed shipping target for the 4K cam, this price drop makes a lot of sense. Blackmagic has proven once again they are willing to shake things up a little, even if it might upset a few customers or lose a little money in the short term.

For those looking at their next camera, is the 2.5K BMCC back on your radar if you'd been looking elsewhere?

Links:

This is wonderful news!
I was going to go out to buy the BMCC from a local dealer an hour ago and I just checked my inbox and saw Grant Petty's email. :)

Ahmet Ardal

WOW! Perfect reaction from BMD! Thanks Grant!

Matt

This is not how those of us that just took a massive hit to resale and rental value feel!

Ant

It never had any resale value, I could already find BMCs for $2000-2200 in the used market, it still is their 1st gen product, you should have known better if you cared about it's "value", and not buy beta products..

Michael

Selling something for 2/3 of the original price isn't bad at all. But no matter what it was, when you drop a new price by 1/3, then the resale drops by 1/3. And most likely the rental as well.

Brett

You lost me at 'it never had any resale value'. What the hell are you talking about? Resale value of cameras owned by the early adopters just went from $2500 to $1500 as a reward for sticking with Blackmagic through all the crap.

Ant

@Ant
Don't worry if you don't get it..

August 4, 2013

Michael

@Ant - The challenge of humility is to become selfless by celebrating in someone else's excitement.

Razor

Nice quote!

Jeff

kudos to that quote

Colin

I was going to invest in a BMPCC as a backup to my BMCC, but I might as well just pick up another BMCC and sell off the Resolve licence for $700. That'll mean I pay +/- $1300 for a 2.5K RAW camera. And I can use all the same accessories and lenses. Way to go BMD!

MWL

Ahhh!!! This is epic news!!!!!!

Aaron

Does this mean the 2,000$ BMCC will still include the davinci resolve?

Aaron

August 2, 2013

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Canon raw fanboy voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Chris Lambert

don't forget that the 5D has a full frame sensor...

August 2, 2013

Couldn't really care about the 35mm sensor low light is the only thing that would sway me to the 5d, yes I know that comes from the sensor if ML get pro res or compressed dngs then maybe well talk but this price drop has seriously got me considering abandoning my 4k pre order and ordering

Chris Lambert

I understand your point... I'm about to do the same! Having the 2,5K BMCC with MFT mount + metabones speed booster would allow me to have the best of both worlds (my arsenal of vintage 4/3 lenses which are cheap and fast) and my L lenses from Canon. What I was saying is that full frame has a different aesthetic on it's own and it has nothing to do with low light capability!

August 2, 2013

sure but it's an aesthetic that's getting a bit over used now don't you think? Camera manufacturers spent years trying to get more in focus and then along comes the 5d and suddenly everything has to be shot at a max speed of f1.9 on one hand it's made filmmaking more accessible to everyone but on the other its made people obsessed with shallow dof to the point it's distracting in what they do produce or has a non immersive wow look at how just in focus that is too the casual viewer.

I always have a dslr in my bag tho just in case. just have to see what comes first my 4k camera or the ongoing job i absolutely have too shoot on the original.

Also it has made the pocket quite a bit less attractive as pocket + speed booster now = sameish crop as the BMC for only slightly less money onto more expensive media per gig so it's basically a call it situation: smaller with the option of having a larger crop should you need it vs 2.5k

Chris Lambert

You can't use EF glass on the passive MTF BMCC with a speed booster. No apature control.

Ant

love this comment

francis

will still include the davinci resolve?

Aaron

From my understanding it will include Resolve. Nothing has changed with the package, just the price. If that is wrong, however, I will update the post.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

The camera plus Resolve is listed at the new price on the BMD site.

Tzedekh

Fair play to Grant and Black Magic Design. They promised too much with their shipment dates, missed them time and again and thereby created a lack of confidence in their company with many people.
So they've addressed people's concerns (after a time) by explaining what's been happening with reasonable explanation and answered popular discontent with an incredible price reduction. Imagine Canon doing this (yeah, right). BMD, a very good move on both counts which is of benefit to all.
I really want to see these guys and their cameras make waves.

ADC

So do we buy the MFT version and then get the MetaBones Speed Booster to make our EF lenses wider and brighter?

Julian

yeah I was kind of wondering the same thing... is the 4K really important right now? wouldn't it be better to have a the BMCC 2,5K in MFT mount + speed booster (total of 2500$) as this would give us shooters the possibility to use both MFT and EF lenses for about half the price of the 4K BMCC?

August 2, 2013

Remember the 2.5k BMCC is a dumb mount, so you don't have aperture control on Canon EF lenses. You'll need full manual glass.

Luke

I don't know if this possibility has been talked about by Metabones, but an alternative (and cheaper) dumb mount EF to MFT Speed Booster adapter with aperture control like the Nikon to MFT Speed Booster would be a wonderful option in this case. You would lose IS but you can rig unwanted vibrations off if needed.

Of course an active MFT mount update would also be great and not impossible considering the BMPCC has it, but perhaps that's asking too much right now? This new price is absolutely good news.

August 2, 2013

Im with you, I would love an active MTF lens mount for IS and you know, changing aperture

Kevin

Not too much of an issue if you use actual cinema glass, or vintage glass.

Jake

Indeed, I love me some manual, but the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 is a lovely lens that'd need some active help for exposing (or I could just get the Nikon mount version and a Nikon to MFT Speed Booster which has an aperture ring).
Although I've read the focus ring keeps on spinning, it has no hard stops, which is a bummer.

August 2, 2013

BM is the new RED, but more affordable.

Natt

This was done to battle the Magic Lantern 5DIII RAW seems like.

sammy

Uh, no.

Razor

MLRaw is sweet but pretty much unusable in a professional setting.

Grant

A ton of people (professionals or not) were saying, at least, that they were going for a 5D3 with Magic Lantern rather than a BMCC. This basically sends anyone on the fence straight back to Blackmagic; fantastic camera that's even more of a bargain now.

I can't see the price of Resolve on eBay holding up, though. :)

August 2, 2013

The downside to the 5D3 RAW is that it still suffers from more detail mush than a BMCC.

Razor

It also looks "videoish" compared to the more "filmic" look of the bmcc.

Michael Hawk

More videoish? Detail mush? lol

you guys should get ourselves into MKIII raw. I'm doing some shoots with 4x 64gb 1000x cards about 50min total. The quality after proper treatment in resolve is on par with BM, with no moire. Colors are just great.
The only drawback really is the file size, but you can convert to prores HQ or cineform 444 and that's just fine.

But the BM camera at this price tag is plain awesome, but MKIII's raw is developing really fast, now they're going to the 2nd generation of encoding and things are really promissing... Plus Komputerbay cards are cheap and reliable right now.

Also Magic lantern has tons of features laking on BM camera.

Since I've got a MKIII I'm not that desperate to make my move right now. I'm waiting for the 4K one... But not that in a hurry, after all my clients are not paying the extra for Raw quality or even prores. For them H264 is just fine...

But If I had a MKII or something, a BMCC EF would be my next camera. Awesome discount!

Alex Mand

Razor

best comment yet

August 2, 2013

Hmmmm... Or maybe I can get 2 BMPCCs!

Kiko

The main drawback of Chromecast is that it doesn't mirror the desktop or other applications. Although it's more expensive my Apple TV lets me share photos, presentations, spreadsheets, etc. And, with the new OS, I will be able to not just mirror but extend the desktop as well. If you are using the apple ecosystem, I think the Apple TV is a better choice.

George

Anyone have a date (or leads) on release of mft mount to ef lens speed booster?

I've heard "August" or "later this year"- I think this would be great for MFT BMC cameras for our manual cine lenses

Newman

Wait, WHEN?!? Because I was going to NYC just to buy this baby in B&H and now I need to know if the value will drop in month already.

Rodrigo Molinsky

Wait, WHEN?!? Because I was going to NYC just to buy this baby in B&H and now I need to know if the value will drop in this month already.

Rodrigo Molinsky

i'm sure two things made this price drop happen: %80 ml and 20% shipment delays

Andrew

Wow. I was on the fence about what cam to pick up but this is an offer I really can't refuse. Only question now is how long it will take to get hold of one!

Trza

I'd rather they keep the price at $3k and swap the 1/4" TRS jacks for XLR.

Pat