May 4, 2014

'Star Wars' Like You've Never Seen It: All Three Prequels Edited Into One 85-Minute Film

Apparently re-cuts of famous works by people who are in the industry isn't anything new. We've got Steven Soderbergh's re-cut of Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate, and now we have something completely different. Topher Grace of That '70s Show fame, who is a huge Star Wars fan, and he re-cut the three prequels, Episodes I, II, and III, into one 85-minute filmHe screened it just once publicly, but he's got a trailer online, and some reactions from people who saw it. In honor of Star Wars day, we've also got some other new Star Wars materials just released, including a trailer for the new animated series, Star Wars Rebels.

Called Star Wars: Episode III.5: The Editor Strikes Back, here is the trailer for Topher Grace's re-cut of the three prequel films:

He showed the film publicly to about 50 people, but it's not currently available to watch in any other way, likely due to copyright issues. The new cut was simply an exercise in editing for him, since he's such a big fan of the series, and he wanted to see what he could do to make the first three films as lean as possible:

They do talk about the fact that he can't really show it in public, and even though it's mentioned he might be able to show it at Comic-Con since he's not making any money on it, that's just not the case. Where he may actually be able to show it is if he was going to teach a special lecture on the film. There are certain allowances within copyright law for educators or people using copyright works for educational purposes, so there might be a way he could show it publicly many times without having the legal might of Disney brought down on him. There may very well be some other complicated legalese that would prevent this particular work from being show in its current form, so it's not necessarily a cut-and-dry case (feel free to share if you've got more information on this from personal experience).

If you were trying to improve yourself as an editor, taking something that already exists and trying to cut it down in a way that still allows for the main ideas to come across is a pretty useful exercise, since it's an essential skill for editors. If you had some time on your hands, trying to cut down the Lord of the Rings trilogy into one 2 hour film could be another useful exercise. Hopefully at some point we will get to see this re-cut of the Star Wars films.

And for even more Star Wars, here is the Star Wars Rebels animated series trailer, and what they are sadly doing with all of the new material that was created for the Expanded Universe:

Links:

A few years back I started to re cut "Lost" to play in chronological order. I would still love to watch it that way but wouldn't wish that project timeline on my worst enemy.

May 4, 2014 at 3:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Someone beat you to it. http://www.chronologicallylost.com/

May 4, 2014 at 4:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Alan

Oh, to be completely clear. I NEVER planned on going back to that. Ha ha. Awesome that they did it though!

May 4, 2014 at 7:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

you can always re cut arrow the island scenes, I dont think anybody has done that yet

December 1, 2014 at 7:41PM

Mario Scharff
Director

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!! that headline was a real tease. I immediately thought the re-cut was released for the 4th.

May 4, 2014 at 3:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DarthFubar

Just last week Steven Soberbergh put his un-authorized, "illegal and immoral" re-edit of HEAVEN'S GATE up on Vimeo, but UA is now a shell and presumably Cimino doesn't give a fuck. Maybe Topher should take George out for lunch and sweet talk him into allowing a "leak." I've been saying since ep3 that there's barely enough story in the prequels for a single feature, so I'm dying to see how my hunch plays out.

May 4, 2014 at 3:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I think you mean Mike Eisner of Disney.

May 8, 2014 at 3:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Calaverasgrande

The trailer is really well done and make me want to see this cut. I would love to live in a world where a single prequel that was actually good exists.

May 4, 2014 at 3:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Sean

I also done some recut but not SW movie. My exercise was a Ridely Scot Prometheus. I add some deleted scenes. Delete some scenes from original and recut almost every minute of the movie (I add almost 20 minutes of deleted scenes and my cut was only 2 minutes longer than original).

I remember how disappointed i was after the premiere of original prometheus. It was a real shock form me, and i can't forget for for an almost a year how inconsistent it was, how stupid were some scenes and maid characters actions.

After recut film was more solid, and I was almost happy with it. There were 2 plots that cannot be removed because I don't have original material ant that plots are meshed with other important plots in original cut.
After recut I showed it to my friends and they liked it more than original. It is real shame that we can't share that kind of exercises with other filmmakers. I'm really curious other opinions.

May 4, 2014 at 4:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Piotr Naumowicz

fanedit.org to see tons of projects like this!

May 4, 2014 at 7:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Re-edits are nothing new. Just not very well known. Enjoy!

May 4, 2014 at 5:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Benja the Ninja

dude i can't for the life of me figure out how to find a download these

May 8, 2014 at 7:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

john

Fingers crossed for Breaking Bad! I could do without the eating dinner scenes and time filler monologues every character has.

May 4, 2014 at 7:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VinceGortho

I'm glad this is getting more attention. I first heard Topher talk about this on the Nerdist podcast (or with Pete Holmes, I confuse their guests often). Apparently he had been taking private editing courses and got really into recutting older films. I'm glad he was able to learn to appreciate the post production process as an actor, as he normally never gets to see this side of the job.

Maybe it was the trailer music, but the idea of an Inception/Titanic mash-up came to mind. The iceberg is the "kick" and the sinking ship is the "collapsing dream".

May 4, 2014 at 8:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I haven't even seen the 3rd one yet, but about 2/3 of the way through The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug I was already convinced I could make the whole bloated trilogy a single feature film. Helloooooooooo future project...

May 4, 2014 at 8:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

tsholl

Whoa you beat me by 6 min hehe

May 4, 2014 at 8:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Agent55

Jackson's The Hobbit is one series that will be in desperate need of a trimming into a single film. Yes I realize the 3rd film isn't released, but the 2nd was... well it was terrible, but also bloated and likely a sign of the 3rd film's obesity. Too bad these recuts can't be passed around legally tho :(

May 4, 2014 at 8:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Agent55

yep, thought the same thing! Definitely needs to be done.

May 10, 2014 at 4:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

dtmp

misleading headline for OLD news... Bad form, dudes.

May 4, 2014 at 10:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

James

A parking garage? To paraphrase Triumph the insult comic dog,"Were they waiting for their moms to pick them up?"

May 4, 2014 at 10:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chris H

I think I'm going to tackle Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" series and make it one movie which emphasizes Bilbo.

May 5, 2014 at 11:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

William

Is there a link to the 85-Minute cut?

May 5, 2014 at 11:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Michael Hawk

Would there be any problem for him to release an EDL for the project?
If we had that, plus the specs of his rip of the movies (source DVD/Bluray used, exact compression settings) anyone with basic knowledge of an NLE could recreate the film for themselves. Wouldn't even be that complicated.
How could an EDL and list of compression specs be copyrighted?

May 5, 2014 at 3:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Stanley Kinkersnick

That's a good one. I think it could work. Now if only Topher could read this...

May 5, 2014 at 5:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

My question is, where do people find the materials to actually do fan edits? Given that most of it is copyright, I know educators even have to go through hoops to get stuff. Heck I remember in film school I had to do a Highlander edit.....talk about rough.

May 6, 2014 at 11:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Miles

Its considered fair use. Either Way it is pointless its not what was done and an epic waste of time.

May 7, 2014 at 1:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Open Source Fan Edit of Star Wars Episode I-III now available!

This is one Star Wars fan's passion project, taking the mess of Episodes I-III and editing them into a single, cohesive, and hopefully decent film.
It is also an attempt to show this can be done legally and through open source. This repo includes only the Adobe Premiere project files and reference stills.
To watch the movie, legally owned copies of the source films will need to be added to the project, and then the film can be rendered.
If anyone needs help viewing, send me a private message and I will make sure you can see the film as long as you legally own Episodes I - III.
Download and rendering instructions are here: https://github.com/ScottMonaghan/Star_Wars_Fall_of_the_Jedi.mrpitiful_fa...
Let me know what you all think!!

August 25, 2016 at 12:05PM, Edited August 25, 12:05PM