October 21, 2014

Canon's New C100 Mark II Gets 1080p 60fps & Improved LCD/EVF

Canon C100 Mark II with Lens 1080p 60fps 50fps

One of the biggest complaints with Canon's large sensor offerings below $10,000 is that they haven't featured frame rates in the 1080p 60fps range or higher. The 7D Mark II was the first to add it in this range, and now they've added it with the newly announced C100 Mark II, which is set to be available before the end of this year for $5,500.

Here are the specs of the new camera:

• Same Super 35mm CMOS Sensor (24.6 x 13.8 mm) as previous C100
  • 1080p: 23.98, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94
  • 720p: 23.98, 25, 29.97
  • 640 x 360: 23.98, 25, 29.97
  • ISO 320 to 80,000 in 1/3-step increments
  • Dual Pixel CMOS AutoFocus is Now Standard (Also includes Face Detection AF with STM Lenses)
  • Canon Log LUT Support on the HDMI Output (so you can see what the final image will look like while still recording log)
  • 4:2:0 to SD card, 4:2:2 via uncompressed HDMI out, Timecode over HDMI
  • Dual SDHC/SDXC Card Slots
  • AVCHD: 28, 24, 17, 7 Mb/s
  • MP4: 35, 24, 17, 4, 3, Mb/s
  • New 40% slow motion to 250% fast motion in MP4
  • AAC Audio Recording
  • Built-in 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi support
  • New internal mic built into the body, not just the top handle
  • New 1.23MP OLED Screen that can be tilted to the side of the camera (camera can now be controlled without side handle)
  • New 0.45" 1.23 MP viewfinder
  • Availability: December 2014
  • Price: $5,500
Canon C100 Mark II OLED Screen LCD Out

Picture quality for the most part will be similar to the current C100, and I would expect the higher speed 1080p modes to look just as good as they look on the C500. This is the camera many had hoped Canon was going to release in the beginning when the C100 first camera out, but it's a pretty good step up from the original, especially since the LCD and EVF on the current camera can be difficult to work with at times. It's also great that they have incorporated an internal mic into the body itself. This lets you break the camera down into a smaller form while still retaining scratch audio (without buying a little 1/8" mic). It doesn't seem like they've done anything with the HDMI output, so I would still expect 8-bit 4:2:2 external recording.

If you like Canon and the images their cameras produce (and you've got a few of the lenses), you'll know why you want this camera, but if you absolutely must have even higher frame rates and the ability to record RAW at some point (like the new FS7), this may not be the right camera for you. Price-wise, however, there is nothing for this amount of money that is as well-rounded and shootable out of the box as this new C100 Mark II.

The camera is available to pre-order right now from B&H and should ship by the end of 2014.

Canon C100 Mark II with Top Handle

This is a really boring update. I think Canon is 3 years behind

October 21, 2014 at 9:18PM

Agree'd. It would be fine if they were pushing in a different direction from 4K like everyone else (dynamic range, high frame rates, etc.) but they really don't seem to be doing much at all

October 21, 2014 at 9:26PM

Tom Hornblow
Camera operator, Steadicam

Management... Leadership... what is going on there?

October 21, 2014 at 9:40PM

Jake Keenum
Filmmaker
1995

Well at least they upgraded the processor to the DIGIC DV 4, from the DV III which was something that wasn't mentioned on this post. Not sure how much that improve the IQ though. 10 Bit 4:2:2 internal would have been a lot more exciting.

October 22, 2014 at 12:03AM

Matthew Devapiriam Emmanuel
Camera Operator

yeah this is one of the most underwhelming camera updates. canon is doing the minimum it can to get by, almost as if other cameras don't exist.

October 22, 2014 at 12:36AM, Edited October 22, 12:36AM

I think we can all agree they did this update before they knew about Sony's FS7 - which is Sony's way to crush the C100 Mark II. FS7 - more dynamic range, 4k, ability to do raw, slo mo - the one thing the C100 has for it is the lovely Canon skintones. But that c log is a limited gamma. Sony stole their thunder.

October 22, 2014 at 9:34PM

Ed David
Director of Photography

Boring? It just depends who YOU are. For some of us this is anything but boring. Bernard Winter's comments sum it up for me.

I'm an FS700 shooter now but I've sampled the C100 enough to know that I absolutely love the image, the form factor, the controls and the native mount for my full suite of L glass. Now we have the dual pixel AF and the much needed addition of 1080-60P.

I shoot web and local broadcast, most of which I deliver at 720p, so the 4K option of the FS700 is meaningless to me. Honestly, I only jumped ship from Canon to Sony (I was an XF300 guy) for the frame rates. But this new Mark II looks like a winner. 3 years behind? I think not.

October 29, 2014 at 11:56AM, Edited October 29, 11:55AM

Steve Smede
Magazine Editor/Photographer/Videographer

Still seems like too little too late. Looks like a tiny bump up from the A7s for more than twice the price...

October 21, 2014 at 9:20PM

Tim Milgram
Director / Cinematographer

something that should have been in the original release.

October 21, 2014 at 9:25PM

Kazu Okuda
Filmmaker

Yeah... if this had 4k that would be one thing...

October 21, 2014 at 9:28PM

Tim Milgram
Director / Cinematographer

*yawn* neXt!

October 21, 2014 at 9:25PM, Edited October 21, 9:25PM

Wentworth Kelly
Director/DP/Colorist/Drone Op
1947

Currently using the C100 in it's current form day in, day out. Ergonomics wise one of the best cameras I've used in a long time for the type of work I do. For the price update very welcome. Bullet Proof recording... Sharp 1080P... Quick pay off. No brainier in my book. Bigger stuff. Hire.

October 21, 2014 at 9:36PM, Edited October 21, 9:36PM

Can you tell me what type of work you do ? And how do you make the camera work for you? Surely you have a shoulder rig and or glidecam? I just think the ergonomics are actually pretty bad of the C100/C300/C500 line. Hard to shoot from the hip in a run and gun way anyway. Perhaps for shorts or features it works. But for broadcast, doc, events even weddings, cant see how its any good.

October 23, 2014 at 8:35AM

Patrick Hoelscher
Director/DP

It really depends on how you want to work. If you love shoulder-mount, then this is not the camera for you. The hand strap makes this a great "floater" camera for getting in and around tight quarters and crowds. It's not good for HH interview setups. It's great for run and gun and the batteries have a great life. I usually change it once, maybe twice, a day.

October 23, 2014 at 5:31PM

Jeremy Parsons
Director of Photography / 1st Assistant Camera / Crane Tech

Well, if you have looked to Philip Bloom´s test/review of the C100
and look at around 14 minutes out in the video and you see how he use it for shoulder/support shooting.

October 28, 2014 at 10:13AM, Edited October 28, 10:13AM

The improved designs and added features are great, but without much difference in actual picture quality, I feel like this camera is just too late in the market now. Not even 4:2:2 internally? Canon can't be thinking of selling those c300s much longer than they already have. Maybe if they had the touchscreen focus (that was paired with the 70d's own dual pixel AF, a useful tool to have) it would be something to consider, but in the end, it just comes up way too short.

October 21, 2014 at 9:43PM

Nothing special or exciting, but it does interest me. I know the A7S is cheaper and produces a "better" image, all the functions of an actual camcorder are definitely great.

It's an exciting time to be a filmmaker.

October 21, 2014 at 9:49PM

Matt Bastos
Filmmaker/Writer

*but, all the functions...

My apologies, haha.

October 21, 2014 at 10:13PM

Matt Bastos
Filmmaker/Writer

I don't think this Mark II is THAT bad and was expected after the 7D mk II. Really, Canon could just wait and release something else way later. It is just a C100 without some key issues.

But picture qualitywise, the 1080p video you can get with a Atomo's recorder combo is better than the 1080p from some budget 4K cameras (my opinion), with an ergonomic and VIDEO focused camera (ND filters, XLR...). So, if you don't need the 4K, this is a option to consider.

October 21, 2014 at 10:07PM

If you have $5500 to spend, save steal beg or borrow another $2500 for the FS-7. Compared to what the competition is offering, this is a $3000 camera at best.

October 21, 2014 at 10:17PM

Bill Thomas
DP

Bill Thomas you are very right I agree with you, I moved to Sony PXW fs7. It is worth the extra money and option to record raw 4k when needed.

October 21, 2014 at 10:31PM, Edited October 21, 10:31PM

Aurelien Brentraus
Director/Cinematographer

In practice, adding in the cost of batteries, memory media, rigging, eyepiece and whatever else you need, what is the cost of ownership of the FS-7? I'm about to decide on one of the two, for mixed use (doc, corporate, even the dreaded weddings) and moving up from a Canon 6D, and therefore have some expensive glass. Seems like snobbery attitudes, although I hate the way Canon (and most other camera makers) dribble out changes. I like the idea of a workhorse HD camera, and renting the high ticket cameras. Unless you utilize 4K year round, it's hard to justify owning some of the costlier cameras which will be dated in 2-3 years. I'm betting the c100 mk2 will pay for itself before it's obsolete. Opinions please, but no canon snobbery.

March 2, 2015 at 2:41PM

It may not be super sexy as far as the specs are concerned but it'll be a workhorse. The image is good. It's pretty small. The media is affordable and the batteries don't cost a fortune. It'll sell well.

October 21, 2014 at 10:18PM

Tom Abray
Indy Videomaker

I want one so bad

October 22, 2014 at 3:13PM

Peter Staubs
Camera Assistant

comments get voted down for the weirdest reasons on here. "Oh, he wants one?" VOTE DOWN!

October 30, 2014 at 1:19AM

OMG 60p at 1080!!!! Way to catch up to 2013 Canon. This is a $3499 camera hands down. Was holding out for C100 MkII too. Bye bye Canon. You have truly shown how much you refuse to update with modern technology.

October 21, 2014 at 11:02PM

It looks like they at least addressed the two loudest complaints people had against the original C100: the almost-unusable viewfinder and the lack of 60 FPS recording. A better designed OLED rear screen is a nice addition, too.
On the other hand, the viewfinder still doesn't seem to tilt upwards, the camera lacks the 50 Mbps 4:2:2 MPEG2 broadcast codec in the C300, and the HDMI output is still 1080p and 8-bit. When the GH4 and a7S can both output UHD over HDMI and offer higher bit-rate codecs internally, it's hard to justify higher-end cameras not at least matching their features.
It's still one of the most ergonomic cameras on the market for hand holding, though. Canon's color science is well regarded, too, and since the 1080p image is downscaled from UHD internally, it ends up being very detailed. That said, I hope this doesn't turn into their video equivalent of the ###D DSLR line, where they add one or two features each year and re-release the camera as if it's a new model.

October 21, 2014 at 11:10PM

With cameras like the GH4 for under half the price this seems like a joke. Canon is way behind the times.

October 21, 2014 at 11:11PM

Calen Albert
DP/Filmmaker

You clearly have never used a professional camera before.

October 22, 2014 at 10:40AM

Alan Dembek
Camera Assistant

C'mon, Alan, lets not get silly. Just because the GH4 doesn't have built in XLR inputs or NDs does not simply make it "unprofessional". The GH4 can output 10-bit 422 via HDMI, isn't that more "professional" than Canon's 8-bit 422? I own and shoot with both the GH4 and C100. Add the YAGH interface, a set of ND's and a Speedbooster to the GH4 and you've got, in my opinion, a better camera right around the same price point.

October 22, 2014 at 6:55PM

John Morse
Producer + Director

But with all of that, the GH4 costs about as much (maybe a little less) than the C100. While the GH4 does do 4K, it sucks at low light and the C100 has much better dynamic range. Plus, having built in NDs is a really under appreciated feature. You would also need to add a shoulder rig to the GH4 (especially with the interface unit) for it to be as stable as the C100 can be when it is handheld. Each camera has their strengths and 4K is a pretty awesome feature but I'd grab the C100 for it's low light ability, dynamic range, and ergonomics almost every time.

October 29, 2014 at 10:14AM

Brendan Lubin
Director/Director of Photography/Editor

Good points. Having built-in ND's is almost a necessity once you get accustomed to using them. The irony is that they are more important on a big chip than a small ENG sensor, yes? Yet it's all the ENG camcorders that have them. Matte boxes or screw-on varios don't seem like feasible substitutes to me.

October 30, 2014 at 11:03AM

Steve Smede
Magazine Editor/Photographer/Videographer

Sort of an out-of-the-blue announcement....

So they gave the C100 the features that everyone was asking for and priced it the same. The old C100 can be had for 4500 (non-AF) now which isn't that bad of a deal. In fact, it might be a better deal than the new C100 since the image coming out of it is the exact same. If you want slo-mo you can have it for $1000.

I think this announcement would have a better reception if they phrased it as:

"C100 price drop. Also added a $1,000 1080P 60FPS option."

I'm really hoping that Canon is able to pull something else out of their hat...but I've been hoping that for the last 4 years.

October 21, 2014 at 11:14PM

Question is if this will even have a chance against the internal 4k recording offered by the FS7 for under 3k more, I know 4k isn't for everybody but this camera looks weak against competition from cheaper cameras like GH4 and A7s (and that crazy low light performance).

Come on not even internal 4:2:2?!

October 21, 2014 at 11:47PM

Isaac Alonzo
Photographer / Cinematographer

Any update for the Mark 1? Can you send your Mark 1 to be upgraded to Mark 2? ANSWER ME CANON!

October 21, 2014 at 11:48PM

Yusuf Amin
Director, Writer, Editor.

No internal 4:2:2? I see they are still trying to protect the c300 :/

Hopefully the c300 Mark II comes out soon too. I'd be willing to upgrade to that from my current c100 Mark I. Not so much to this one.

October 21, 2014 at 11:52PM

Matthew Devapiriam Emmanuel
Camera Operator

Jeez they should've added RAW, ha just kidding figured id keep the trend going though it would've been nice. Come on Canon!

October 22, 2014 at 12:17AM

Anthony F. Marino III
produce shoot edit

How sure are people that this thing even has 60p? All I see is 60/50i. Here's the line in the press release:

"The camera supports AVCHD bit rates up to 24 Mbps (LPCM) at a maximum resolution of 1920×1080. Frame rates of 60i, 50i, 24p, 25p, PF30, and PF24 are all available to meet the needs of your production workflow"

October 22, 2014 at 1:01AM

Clayton Arnall
Camera Pointer

In the B&H specs it does say 1080p at 59.94 frames, certainly a bit confusing though

October 22, 2014 at 1:12AM

Tom Hornblow
Camera operator, Steadicam

I think the 60p is only available using the MP4 format.

October 22, 2014 at 10:37AM, Edited October 22, 10:37AM

Hands up all the pros, or anyone really, that's been asking Canon for facedetect AF.

Seriously, I can think of a dozen features they SHOULD have put in the C100 but here you go...have this instead.

October 22, 2014 at 1:09AM

seanmclennan
Story Teller

Just get the Panasonic GH4, absolutely fantastic 4K video directly to memory card! That is an innovative camera at a third of the price!

October 22, 2014 at 1:26AM, Edited October 22, 1:26AM

Wow. Disappointingly lacking 4K but also...

For the same price as the current C100. I am so pissed that I bought a C100 last year.

October 22, 2014 at 1:38AM

Jeremy Abbott
Video Producer/Independent Filmmaker

Canon? Ah yes I have heard of them. Don't they make lenses or something. Supposedly years ago they even manufactured cameras. Kodak, Pan AM, Detroit, Canon, glorious names of bygone day

October 22, 2014 at 1:46AM

Peter Staubs
Camera Assistant

Canon is not going out of business anytime soon

October 22, 2014 at 9:36PM

Ed David
Director of Photography

Are you saying Canon is not going out of business anytime soon?

October 23, 2014 at 1:09PM

Lane McCall
Producer/Director

Canon is not going out of business anytime soon

October 23, 2014 at 4:38PM

Huh? I didn't catch that.

October 30, 2014 at 1:29AM

I would be more underwhelmed if the actual image produced by these cameras was not so incredibly powerful. As a longtime C100 user, and now someone who is dabbling with Sony cameras, I can already say that I prefer the C-series image over the Sony color science. It's not just incredibly user friendly, but also incredibly versatile. It just works.

October 22, 2014 at 1:51AM, Edited October 22, 1:51AM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

I agree. Canon might not be the most technologically advanced, but it gets the job done right. Who cares if you're recording 4K raw at 120fps if it all has to be fixed later.

Canon has consistently delivered an aesthetically pleasing color space that works great for a cameramen (and women) who know how to light and get that image in front of the lens, not in post.

October 23, 2014 at 5:42PM

Jeremy Parsons
Director of Photography / 1st Assistant Camera / Crane Tech

Yeah! Plus, functionally they're amazing and user friendly. You get useful power options, built-in ND filters, amazing audio, now 60fps. Huzzah.

October 28, 2014 at 3:42PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

Guess I'm just gonna have to learn to like Sony Colors... :/

October 22, 2014 at 3:40AM, Edited October 22, 3:40AM

It could have been better, but seems like Canon is holding back.

October 22, 2014 at 3:45AM

Mohd Nor Ariza Bin Kamil
Cinematographer and Video Editor

Now it'a greater camera... To bad it's a little to late. Should they made the update before the announcement of the FS7 I would probably have bought this in a heartbeat.

October 22, 2014 at 3:45AM, Edited October 22, 3:45AM

Viktor Ragnemar
Director/Cinematographer

Lies

October 23, 2014 at 12:09PM

Dre Kahmeyer
Director

meh

October 22, 2014 at 4:42AM

Miguel Sotto
Cinematographer

Canon doesn't have the internet.

October 22, 2014 at 5:31AM

Dantly Wyatt
Musical Comedy & Content Creator.

But they added WiFi to the camera....they just don't know what it does.

October 22, 2014 at 11:15PM

According to the press release and B&H specs IT DOESN'T HAVE 50/60P, only 50/60i.

October 22, 2014 at 5:52AM

Seems like I only checked the info under the shutter speed where it doesn't list 50/60p on B&H, but it does lists it under the frame rates. Anyways, on press release it only says "Frame rates of 60i, 50i, 24p, 25p, PF30, and PF24 are all available to meet the needs of your production workflow" so I wouldn't get excited yet about the possibility of 60p until someone confirms it.

October 22, 2014 at 6:10AM

Another important benefit of the Canon DIGIC DV4 processor is Full HD recording in both the high-quality professional format AVCHD or the popular web-friendly MP4 format at a variety of bit rates (up to 28 Mbps and 35 Mbps, respectively), resolutions, and frame rates (up to the smooth look of 59.94p) to suit practically any production need.[iii] For special-effect requirements, slow and fast motion MP4 recording at up to 1920×1080/60p can also be performed.

October 22, 2014 at 6:12AM

And same time on B&H it talks about DIGIC DVIII instead of DV4: "DIGIC DV III Image Processor
Designed and built by Canon for the highest HD RGB processing, the DIGIC DV III Image Processor uses proprietary circuits and architecture to deliver the highest image quality at the highest speeds, with low power consumption and minimal heat output. "

Anyways, I read the press release on Canon Rumors where they attached it together with the info from B&H, letting me think it is part of the actual press release. So I guess it does have 60p then.

October 22, 2014 at 6:28AM

They used the DIGIC DV4, not the 3. Its supposed to "noticeably improve the image quality" by using method that separates the RGB channels in way that was "previously only achievable with a 3-chip camera." I'm, of course, paraphrasing here, but that is what I recall from my research.

October 30, 2014 at 1:36AM

If they put 4K in this, even as a signal out of the HDMI, even in 8bit like the A7s, it would make it a contender. As it is, no thanks.

October 22, 2014 at 6:42AM

Lucas Ferreira
Cinematographer

I honestly, think that people are missing the point. I have filmed with a lot of cameras for a verity of different shoots and it is not all about 4k. Yes 4k is great, but most clients can't even tell the difference. I have been using the c100 for about 9 months and the build, design, and flexibility of it is amazing. The 4k sensor shines although it gets pushed down to AVC HD. The pictures are sharp, crisp, and gradable. What else do you need? Yes there are other cameras that cost less and give you 4k but at what cost? No pro audio inputs, not a great design for filming, additional costs to get the same features which are standard in this camera. Look all I'm saying is know your clients, know what your shooting and make the right choice for you based on what you are creating not based on a features list. I made that mistake when I first looked at the c100 initially and now that I have it I love it. Cheers guys!

October 22, 2014 at 8:06AM

Tristan Barrocks
I' a Digital Story-Teller

What do you shoot mainly then? Corporates and event things? I mostly do Web documentaries but want to move into broadcast docs and factual. I will probably go for the FS7 due to its broadcast approved colorspace and data rate.

But even more important is the intelligent handle on the FS7, then lets you control most aspects of the system with one hand (even zoom if you use Sony glass). If you want anything like that with Canon you need to invest another £500-800 for a good rig.

October 22, 2014 at 9:57AM

Patrick Hoelscher
Director/DP

Hey man thanks for the reply. I shoot primarily live events and promotional films. At this point in my business I have no immediate need for 4K. Secondly, if your spending between $5000 - $7000 on a camera what's an extra $500-$900?

October 22, 2014 at 2:58PM

Tristan Barrocks
I' a Digital Story-Teller

Hi man, thanks for your reply also. This is the only rig I would currently consider (as it gives you same capabilities of the FS7, even slightly better with the focus drive) store.zacuto.com/recoil-handgrip-kit/

In addition to that I'd also have to add an external recorder however... So overall more like £1000-1500. Then I'm very close to the FS7 price - plus that would give me 4K...which is just future-proof. I mean even if you don't need it right now. You could do stockfootage stuff which is good additional business...

October 23, 2014 at 8:45AM

Patrick Hoelscher
Director/DP

The C100 is definitely a workhorse, but who wants to carry around a big, bulky, heavy cinema camera when you still need other cameras to fill the gap? A solid upgrade, but it doesn't make me want to run out and get one. Where is the built in time lapse, stills shooting, 4K, and 120fps slow motion, etc... At this point a GH4 rivals the C100, in every way but low light, which is why I sold my C100's and 5D's in the first place. Too bad I own a fortune in Canon glass, but I get much more accomplished being lighter, stealthier, and with these key storytelling features at my fingertips. This update just solidified my switch.

October 22, 2014 at 8:23AM

Charles Maring
Photographer / Filmmaker

I'm probably going to catch flak for this, but keep in mind I own both a c100 and a gh4. I believe this upgrade appeals to people who were already looking at a c100. This thing is an incredible camera. Most of the people commenting are just looking at specs (i'm sure some of you have used the c100). The slow motion on the gh4 is a joke. It is NOT sharp. You can get away with 60fps, but you better have a lit set or doing it outside, because everything sucks after 800iso. SKIN TONES, geez. The c100 DESTROYS the gh4 in color science. 4K!!! eh, if that is your thing, but 4K does nothing more me and if I have a client that wants 4k, I'm definitely doing it on a sufficient camera like a RED or a Sony FS. On paper this doesn't look like much, but ergonomics, color science, QUALITY 60fps that can work in low light settings, usable EVF, OLED screen. This looks like a fantastic camera for someone already considering a c100. You guys might already be sharpening your swords and coming for me, but I've used both cameras extensively, and those are my findings.

October 22, 2014 at 9:00AM

Matt Marrs
Director / Camera Operator

Agreed... I had two C100's, and loved them for what they were. This is a nice upgrade, but for me it comes down to "a camera I will carry everywhere". I actually adore the 96fps slow motion of the GH4. It's not as sharp as I would like, but it beats not having it as an option. 4K works for me because I also build interactive iPad apps. Having 4K allows me to screen grab and tell interactive stories on Retina displays. 1080p was OK, but is a big stretch to pull an image for iPad displays. The color of the GH4 in my opinion is on par or better than Canon color, and I am a fan of Canon's color. I also do a lot of gimbal work, and the C100 is too heavy to really work it all day. I would love the C100 or other cinema cameras if they were so damn big. Why build a camera that is heavy and huge, when you have an option to build something that is small, light, and nimble. Canon is just headed in a different direction that a lot of us.

October 22, 2014 at 10:24AM

Charles Maring
Photographer / Filmmaker

Thank man for speaking the truth. A camera's specs are just one part of evaluating a product. People's obsession with 4k is misguided as it is one useful tool out of the many other things you should be looking for in a camera. It's like looking for a car and only rating it based on horse power and nothing else. At the end of the day use the camera that works for your work flow and business. I do find it funny that people like Joe Simon, Philip Bloom and other well known filmmakers find this camera to be a great tool to use for telling stories.

October 22, 2014 at 3:07PM

Tristan Barrocks
I' a Digital Story-Teller

Just wanted to add a +1 to Matt's comment. My work is mainly weddings. I was already considering a C100, but the lack of slow mo was the main turn off, so I do find the update significant. There's particular moments in weddings, like throwing rice outside the church door, when slow motion really adds a lot.

What I like about the C100... Well, wedding guys have different priorities from people doing controlled shoots. Low-light ability, being able to record hours and hours of footage to SD cards, continuous recording over 30 minutes, dual pixel AF, long-lasting battery, great look out of the camera, and the ability to record a backup, in case of card failure, without attaching an external recorder -- these are all huge plusses -- butt-saving, shoot-saving, thank-God-for-this-feature plusses -- though these are also all things that don't matter too much to someone who's mainly doing narrative.

Add to that that I'm already heavily invested in Canon, and that, for weddings, you need 3-5 cameras, not one camera -- so you need something that's going to kind of match your existing cameras, without grading, if you don't have the money to upgrade all your camera bodies at the same time.

Anyway, so I think considering a C100 Mk II is quite rational for me, though of course I appreciate it's horses for courses -- that everyone's needs will vary...

October 22, 2014 at 9:08PM

Adrian Tan
Videographer

Totally agree with you best wedding camera just got way better. I'm also interested in the improved image quality. On Ablecine's blog they say: "While keeping the same Super 35 sensor as the original C100, the advanced Canon DIGIC DV4 image processor in the Mark II interpolates HD from the 4K sensor, much like the C500 processes 2K information. The camera separates the RGB output from the camera’s 8.3 Megapixel CMOS imager into three individual 8 megapixel signals (as opposed to 2MB in the C100) for noticeably improved image quality. It also has a new debayering algorithm to help minimize moiré and reduce video noise even at high ISO speeds. (ISO range 320 to 80,000)."- See more at: http://blog.abelcine.com/2014/10/21/canon-announces-new-eos-c100-mark-ii...

So I'm excited to see some footage

October 23, 2014 at 9:41PM

Peter Staubs
Camera Assistant

Great post Matt. The voice of reason. I always laugh at the negativity thrown at Canon for lack of 4K but people all seem to be ok with no 4K for the Alexa Amira that costs more than 10 times the amount of the C100. People are just weird. I love the C100, it makes me lots of money. The upgrade for the price is awesome. I will get one and will keep on making money and producing what I think and my clients agree are gorgeous looking movies. This is what the Canon cinema cameras do so well - The GH4 is awesome at everything it can do but one thing it can't do is produce the same pleasing color as the Canon cinema cameras.

October 24, 2014 at 1:05AM

James Manson
Photographer

While I wont be using it ... I can see the c100 mkii as a great tool for wedding videographers, doc shooters and super low budget indies. Most of the c100 users that are out there now are probably too busy working the100 small jobs that their camera's workflow is designed for to defend the canon line on the internet :P

October 22, 2014 at 9:11AM

Adrian Wong-Ken
DP/Director/Producer

It'll have a hard time holding its value. 2015 is the end of the line for the 1080p cameras. For run-and-gun, there are new 4K camcorders and rigged out 4K DSLR's (which have a better stills capture as well). For low/no budget creative projects, C-100 will be going against URSA, AF-200, GH4/A7s + Shogun combos, FS-7, NX1 and many speculated/currently unannounced projects like A-99 MK II, which might have an internal 8K, or updated A7s with the internal 4K function. TV is in the 4K mode now for archiving, if not broadcasting, and the broadcasters themselves are going online (since 4K broadcasting will depend on the government while streaming can be mostly controlled by the source). Once folks see what 4K looks like, wedding and corporate will demand it as well.

My take is that Canon will have to revamp their entire EOS line very soon or see a lot of their L-glass head out to eBay.

October 22, 2014 at 11:14AM

Dan Leo

It will continue to be a very practical all-rounder camera in 2015 I suspect. Ursa is going to be an expensive camera to run all day, the batteries are 300 a pop and cfast cards start at like $800 right now.

I still believe canon has one of the best color sciences for the price as well, fs7 looks ugly - this coming from a former fs700 owner, and i loved that camera. Their cameras are very, very practical still.

October 22, 2014 at 2:37PM

Adrian Wong-Ken
DP/Director/Producer

URSA is not a run-n-gun camera but the media can be rented and files compressed (if you have no need to shoot Raw) during the image acquisition. And, whenever Atomos releases Shogun - expected by December now, a couple of months later than originally - a lot of folks will use that with very versatile GH4 or A7s (or NX1, if it lives up to its billing)

And then there's FS7 for another fistful of dollars or FS-700 + CD Q7 for a few fistfuls more.

So, the question here isn't whether C100II is a competent camera but whether it provides value for its price and release date. I would say that, considering its competition, it does not ... to a neutral buyer who isn't heavily invested in Canon glass already. To me, this looks like a hurried update that has been in the development stages for a new camera but has been released now to cover a bunch of hinds in Canon headquarters.

As to 4K - many dismissed it a year ago on this very site ... and then Panasonic released GH4 and it sold 2.5 times the number of units the company anticipated. Likewise, ARRI kept telling folks that Alexa has enough res ... and then had to scramble with the open gate sensor in order to placate the pros asking for better detail. And, going into the Christmas shopping season, Panasonic has a 4K compact camera in LX 1000 and a 4K DSLR style FZ-1000 for $900 each.

And this $5,500 camera does not.

October 23, 2014 at 2:30AM

Dan Leo

With a Atoms Ninja Star this camera update will be a documentary workhorse in the current tech space. 4k still isn't practical for verité documentary filmmaking when you're shooting hours and hours of footage. Great camera, great color, if you only need 1080. But, is it forward thinking? Not really. Maybe that's why they didn't make a big deal out of the launch.

I'm just glad Canon is starting to release new cameras.

October 22, 2014 at 10:09AM, Edited October 22, 10:09AM

B. Gudgel
Documentary Director

And they call it Mark II! AVCHD - Is there still any goodness left in this ancient codec to compete with the trending ones.

October 22, 2014 at 10:13AM

Mohan

What's so bad about the C100's codec? Have you had a chance to work with footage from a C100? I convert the internal codec to prores so I can edit easier(I have an old computer) but the stuff grades fine. so much better than dslr and other 1080 cameras that are cheaper. Plus remember it is 4k down sampled to 1080 so it is pretty similar to having 4k and downsampling it you just don't have the benefit of pan and scan and reframing but image quality is great.

October 23, 2014 at 9:47PM, Edited October 23, 9:47PM

Peter Staubs
Camera Assistant

I use AVCHD all the time for a particular Australian television show. Almost all content on Australian television is 1080p down-scaled to 720p or 576p. 576p is actually considered HD in Australia. Basically everything looks like crap so who cares about the codec. I actually think the AVCHD color is marginally better than Pro Res from the clean HDMI. Anyway,what exactly is a 'trending codec?'

October 24, 2014 at 1:27AM

James Manson
Photographer

It's frustrating that Canon makes cameras for a fantasy marketplace in the past rather than what real people actually want today.

October 22, 2014 at 10:44AM, Edited October 22, 10:44AM

Daniel Dyer
Filmmaker

Now I'm getting really curious about the c300 mk2. The price is propably going to be around $15k so I wonder how many they are going to sell next to the fs7, if the improvements are like this.. Especially when there is the c500 to protect.

October 22, 2014 at 11:13AM

Sony comes out with the FS7, so Canon fires back with the C100 Mark 2. The camera wars have begun! LOL.

All joking aside, I do love the baked in Canon look as it's great for non-grade type projects that I do get - docs, reality shows, corporate and events - and that's when I wish I had the C100 / C300.

But for anything higher end or cinematic, Sony S-Log just blows doors all over Canon. The highlight roll off and the dynamic range on the 7Q S-Log is just great. I even love the very neutral, almost understated skin tones of S-Log. Yeah, it's very boring out of the camera and needs to be graded but you can make it look anyway you want.

I seriously hope Canon comes up with something to keep it interesting. I certainly hope they don't fall into their DSLR pattern where it was the same camera re-hashed for 5 to 6 years. That was miserable.

October 22, 2014 at 11:22AM, Edited October 22, 11:22AM

Gene Sung
DP / Director

They should have just done a firmware update that gave us 1080p 60p in the original C100. They made no changes to the processor or sensor so obviously the original C100 is more than capable of handling 1080p 60p, probably even higher frame rates. I knew it was a long shot but I was hoping Canon would release a paid firmware update for all the cinema cameras that gave internal 4K, 60p, a better codec, and so on. I would have paid a good amount to have 4K and 60p put into my C100. It would almost be the perfect camera. The C100 is a powerful camera with a lot of untapped potential. If someone hacked it and gave it the features it was capable of, I'd pay for that.

October 22, 2014 at 11:26AM

Brendan Lubin
Director/Director of Photography/Editor

Couldn't agree more. Took the words right out of my mouth.

October 22, 2014 at 2:50PM

Jeremy Abbott
Video Producer/Independent Filmmaker

Yeah, that's just straight F-Up. Making people buy what is essentially the same camera just for 60fps and a few bells and whistles? Either exploitive marketing or completely brilliant because they know people will buy the same camera again and Canon has to put out no effort.

October 22, 2014 at 4:47PM

Gene Sung
DP / Director

The processor was upgraded to the Digic DV 4. The first round of their cinema cameras use the DV III. I'm not sure why they didn't mention that in the post.

October 22, 2014 at 5:53PM

Matthew Devapiriam Emmanuel
Camera Operator

I think most people are glancing over the new specs. The processor was upgraded resulting in lower noise / better IQ / Less Morie. The Dual Pixel AF is standard and is V2 with the fixed center focus now movable + face detection with STM glass. The RGB readout has changed to 3 separate 8MP vs 2MP on the original. The EVF is a massive deal, and the LCD screen (looks like its borrowed from C300) is a massive upgrade. Those guys with gimbals will appreciate the on board mono mic, more programmable buttons, an increased bit rate of 28 for AVCHD and 35 for MP4, LUT output via clean HDMI, 40% slow in camera. The wifi options will open new possibilities for untethered file transfer, and mobile device control over camera controls - this is huge on its own. There are a heap of smaller updates like the transparent SD door, better battery release position, solid RED record button (not sure why they did this), GPS and new navigation nipple on the 270 degree flip out screen. And yes 50/60p! Hooray! People act surprised or disappointed that there is no 4K options here - are you serious? Expect this in their C300 MKII... Weather you love this camera or hate it, the C100 MK2 it will fly off the shelf, and most C100 users will upgrade, regardless if a 60p firmware update comes out for the original.

October 22, 2014 at 9:31PM

Daniel

I know that the processor will give it less noise and morie but I don't really need that. The original C100 is already great in both of those categories. Really not worth buying spending $5500 for that. The movable auto focus is great but I rarely use the auto focus feature anyway. The bit rate increase is not going to be noticeable to anyone really because it will still be 8-bit. Just because it went from 24 to 35 doesn't mean the image is gonna blow away the C100. Slow motion would be nice to have but not worth buying a new camera for. People that are using the C100 don't generally need the wifi option and while it would be nice to have, not worth a whole new camera. I'm not upset because I don't think they added enough to the new camera to make it worth upgrading. I'm pissed because they could have easily added most of this stuff into the original C100 through firmware updates. The C100 is capable of the same performance as the C500 but instead of giving us a few more things, like 1080p 60p, they just came out with essentially the same camera and added a few new and unneeded small features.

I don't care too much for 4K yet, it would be nice to have, but don't put a new coat of paint on a BMW and call it a Ferrari.

October 23, 2014 at 3:06PM

Brendan Lubin
Director/Director of Photography/Editor

THIS JUST IN !! - Myspsce adds new MULTIPLE photo upload feature !!!

October 22, 2014 at 12:43PM

I think that Canon deserves the honour for "The best trolling company in 2014".

October 22, 2014 at 1:38PM, Edited October 22, 1:38PM

Panos Karachristos
Director - Filmmaker

sorry, i'm not commenting on canons new old product, just want to know where i can put of the music loop, which NFS is playing in the background!

October 22, 2014 at 2:17PM

hannes mair
photographer - moviemaker

October 22, 2014 at 2:33PM

hannes mair
photographer - moviemaker

The more I think about it, the more this upgrade irks me. I bought a C100 last year for basically the same price, just before DPAF was released, so it has none of the benefits of this model. It has been the best camera purchase I've ever made and I absolutely love it, but it doesn't come without pitfalls. If they offer an upgrade option of some kind for existing users I would absolutely take it. But....

This C100 mkii is a slap in the face to the Canon faithful. The fact that they lowered prices for a couple months to entice people to buy up stock, then announced this to be released in two months shows how little they care about their install-base. And no 4K of any kind..seriously?? No 10bit or even 8bit internal 4:2:2?? I am the first to say I hate the whole 4K revolution, consumers will never benefit from it and clients with their web videos..don't get me started. But for the amount of VFX work I do for side projects and green screens etc. not to mention just the creative freedom of reframing and subtle camera movement..if you are a heavy post-production user it is absolutely invaluable.

Ya the ergonomics of this camera are second to none, it really is a workhorse. And I've recently been combining (1080p) footage from an FS700 with my C100 in post - colour correcting, green screens, the works - and can say without a doubt that I prefer C-Log a hundred times over the Sony image; Canon's sensor just produces beautiful footage. But this is not nearly enough of an upgrade.

The C300 upgrade better come in at the same price point as the FS7 and it better blow our damn socks off or I think Canon has sunk itself in this battle.

October 22, 2014 at 2:47PM

Jeremy Abbott
Video Producer/Independent Filmmaker

That's interesting because I was a long time Canon user and while I prefer Canon color science over the stock FS700 without the 7Q, but I far and away prefer the image I get from S-Log 2 - way better highlights, more dynamic range and I love how neutral S-Log 2 colors are, which is perfect for grading.

But yeah, non-graded image Canon is great.

I'm excited for the FS7. I'm hoping S-Log 3 with LUTs will give you an Alexa knock off for $8K. I could hardly tell the difference between S-Log 3 + LUT and the Alexa. From what I understand, all the LUTs for the F55 will work on the FS7.

October 22, 2014 at 4:53PM

Gene Sung
DP / Director

I personally think this is a great update for the c100. The original c100 and 300 are in very high demand for commercial work and this will be too.

October 22, 2014 at 4:54PM

Ryan Blaske
DP/Editor/Director

I've owned my Canon C100 for over a year and it's been nothing less than spectacular. I think that people forget that Canon is a business and will likely be releasing the next C300 soon. If they were to give the C100 Mk II Internal 4K and 120 fps for $5500 then how would they expect to sell any of the new C300s?

The image quality from the current C100 is outstanding, low light performance is fantastic, and it's the most reliable camera I've ever owned. The GH4 doesn't have good low light capabilities, doesn't have NDs, and has a smaller M43 sensor. The A7S has horrible rolling shutter, no XLR inputs, and bad moire. Every camera has their strengths and weakness so if you don't want to buy a C100 buy another imperfect camera and live with the results. There's not use bashing Canon as a company just because they didn't call you up to find out how they can sell more cameras.

October 22, 2014 at 7:08PM

Thanks Canon, Just bought my C100. And now there is a Mark 2 with 60fps.

BTW the viewfinder is not as bad as people say it is. The top handle is a good place to place your forehead and you can see the image just as good as any. You just don't have an eye cup. But I once seen a fellow videographer with pink eye and it made me think twice about putting my eye in another mans viewfinder.

October 22, 2014 at 7:45PM

Luna Videography
Videographer

It's not that it's a bad camera, it just shouldn't cost more than $2,999.

October 22, 2014 at 9:13PM, Edited October 22, 9:13PM

Dantly Wyatt
Musical Comedy & Content Creator.

I like to the look out of the box of the c100 / 300. Ergonomically, xlr inputs, mic, ND's, waveform. All great. But for me, couldn't justify the price compared to what else is out there. (Namely now the FS7). However out of the box I think the Canon color is a bit more natural/nicer IMO.

What do you think the chances are of C300 mark II having 10-bit internal 422 1080p and maybe 8-bit 422 internal 4k? Would anyone be interested in that? At what price point?

October 23, 2014 at 12:13AM

Dean Butler
Writer Director Shooter Editor

Have you shot and graded the Fs7 or are you just guessing?

October 23, 2014 at 12:20PM, Edited October 23, 12:20PM

Tim Naylor
NYC DP

And snap. Just guessing. Rentals in Perth don't have it... yet. I would definitely hire both and play with them before making a purchase.

October 23, 2014 at 10:03PM