September 29, 2015

Remix This Short Film with Free Audio/Video Stems & a Complete Production Breakdown

What does $500 and a punk rock filmmaking ethic get you? A short crime thriller, a comical production breakdown, and all the free video and audio stems to remix to your heart's content!

Ayz Waraich and Martin Wisniewski set out to have some fun while making the ultimate remix film with their six-minute short LOOT. With lines such as, "I personally learned on Final Cut Pro and moved over to Premier when Final Cut became horse shit," and, "None of the sound recorded in the car was useful, god damn sound guy (which was [Martin] btw!)" their making-of document is informative and good for a laugh. Want to try your hand remixing an edit, coloring, or composing alternate soundtracks? The dropbox link to the LOOT stems is all you need to get started. First, watch the original film.

Now, remix! Below are links to the bonus content, including Video and Audio stems, Titles, The Original Script in PDF, and a 20-page MAKING OF DOCUMENT on the film:

Credit: The Wild Machine

Here's Ayz and Martin on why they made the film and are offering it up for remix:

Loot is a DIY labor of love -- made for $500 bucks by a team with years of experience, including screenings at Sundance, Berlin, etc. We'd been knocking on Hollywood's door for quite a while, aligned with an arsenal of Managers and Producers, but we got burnt out and tired of running in the Hamster Wheel of General Meeting after General meeting after.... well, you get it :) So...We decided to go back to our roots: No-budget filmmaking. We made this little grimy thriller, without any intention of making any money. We used all the music we wanted to use, and decided to put the film out as a BOOTLEG, much like Adi Shankar's awesome work.

One of the twists on this project, however, is that we're going to be RELEASING ALL OF THE AUDIO/VIDEO STEMS for the film -- so that people can remix the movie. This includes Dialogue and Sound FX tracks, as well as the titles. Viewers can take the film, pull it apart, recut it, re-score it -- and then show us. We'll be featuring the best versions, and maybe even meeting some future collaborators!

Thanks for sharing, Ayz and Martin! You can check out more of their bonus materials on The Wild Machine official site, and keep an eye out for other work on platforms such as Bureau of Creative Works

If you plan on making a remix or otherwise using the free materials from LOOT, best of luck! We'd love to see what you come up with.

Very cool.

September 29, 2015 at 7:55PM

Thanks Cody!

September 30, 2015 at 6:47PM

Jeps, great job.

September 30, 2015 at 1:35AM, Edited September 30, 1:35AM

Thanks mate!

September 30, 2015 at 6:47PM

Meh

September 30, 2015 at 9:30AM, Edited September 30, 9:30AM

Corey Machado
Video Editor

Pretty cool. I downloaded the files just to check them out but the video footage is already color graded. Will you be releasing any ungraded footage?

September 30, 2015 at 10:54AM

Unfortunately no -- the way I color process the footage doesn't allow for Martin to easily assemble a stems package. I have a bizarre process, but we're going to keep this in mind next time around. Thanks for note -- we love finding out what people are responding to. :)

-Ayz

September 30, 2015 at 6:43PM

Director

hmm, I wondered about that too. haven't had a chance to take a look at the files but it would be very cool to have ungraded footage to really get a fun remix going. But, that might be a difficult thing to do for them at this stage.

September 30, 2015 at 12:12PM

Bingo. We just didn't have the manpower or time. Plus the workflow didn't allow it. Hopefully next time though. Thanks for checking it out!

September 30, 2015 at 6:45PM

Director

Hey guys, beautifully filmed and graded. The story made no sense. Goes to show that even the best filmmaking can't over come a poor script. Good luck.

September 30, 2015 at 1:16PM

William Scherer
Writer/Director/Producer/Fine Art Aerial Photography

Thanks for the feedback, man. Appreciate it!

September 30, 2015 at 6:46PM

Director

Great work. I'll be surprised if it can be remixed any better.

September 30, 2015 at 5:46PM

Tony Virili
Digital Mercenary

Aw, thank man. :)

September 30, 2015 at 6:48PM

So I decided to give it a shot! Here it is. https://vimeo.com/141003812

September 30, 2015 at 10:39PM, Edited September 30, 10:39PM

Dude, that's dope! :) Love it. Email me your details and i'll add it to the REMIX page when we put it up soon.

Ayz@thewildmachine.com

October 2, 2015 at 9:33AM

Director

This had so much cussing in it that it sounded like a 12 year old wrote it. Really drew me out of the story.

October 1, 2015 at 10:30AM, Edited October 1, 10:30AM

Beau Wright
Filmmaker

Sorry it didn't work for you, Beau. Thanks for checking it out though!

October 1, 2015 at 9:30PM

Director

Very cool idea. I love getting to see the guts of how someone else's projects get put together. Film Riot did something similar with their Portal gun short and Hitfilm.

Thanks for sharing! I'm excited to check it out.

October 1, 2015 at 1:33PM

Oh cool, didn't know that. Will look into those. Love that type of sharing.

You're very welcome! And thanks for letting us know you appreciated it. :)

October 1, 2015 at 9:32PM

Hey Ayz,
Remixed "Loot" into a music video. Check it out below.
Your short had "Miller's Crossing" written all over it...in a good way. :)

October 1, 2015 at 9:55PM

Darren Video
Director/Editor

Haha that was great, man! So interesting to see our stuff in another context. And you know, I just watched Miller's Crossing again and was stunned by how much found its way into LOOT subconsciouly. I hadn't seen it in years, but the Coens work has bonded with my DNA I think. ;) Great job again!

And Email me your Details and i'll add it to our REMIX page soon. ayz@thewildmachine.com

October 2, 2015 at 9:39AM

Director

Done! And thanks again for offering the opportunity to remix, looking forward to seeing how the community reimagines your short.

October 2, 2015 at 11:51AM

Darren Video
Director/Editor

Here's mine! Love what you guys are doing.

October 2, 2015 at 1:53PM, Edited October 2, 1:53PM

What a cool recontextualizing of the images. Makes you see new things in the footage. :) Lovely. I'll add it to the collection soon!

October 3, 2015 at 9:22AM

Director

I know I'm late but that's an awesome remix!

January 15, 2016 at 8:25PM

Alex Ashman
Student

I am so excited about making my 1st short film. After reading and playing with this material it feels like I already did my 1st film. it is a very intense experience, I felt I was there with you in set.
I love you guys, this is amazing <3

October 2, 2015 at 8:00PM

This just made our day, Anas :) We hoped that would be effect of Martin's Booklet. Thanks so much for letting us know how it helped you! That's very encouraging.

Let us know what you end up making!

October 3, 2015 at 9:24AM

Director

This was a great idea. I had a pretty good time running through the footage and putting it back together. Take a look at the remix I've finished:

October 3, 2015 at 12:24AM, Edited October 3, 12:24AM

Thanks a lot man! Badass remix btw -- Whats the track in the credits? It's great.

Email me your details at ayz@thewildmachine.com and i'll add your remix to the collection once we get it up. :)

October 3, 2015 at 9:27AM

Director

Thanks a lot for sharing the film and creating it in the first place! Awesome job! I had a great time doing a little re-edit :)

Big ups and keep the good work coming!

October 3, 2015 at 4:49PM

Phillipp, that was really cool -- Made me see new things in the footage. Well done! :)

Remember to email me your details and a link: ayz@thewildmachine.com

October 3, 2015 at 5:45PM

Director

A friend put me onto this and when I watched the film I thought it had a bit of a noir feel to it so I kinda just ran with that. I haven't really changed much because I thought it was already really well put together but I hope you guys like it anyway. https://youtu.be/68EMaqfx89Q

October 11, 2015 at 11:22PM

Here is my Remix :) I am apart of the Wild Machine family, just so everybody here knows (also an associate producer of Loot), so this submission was purely for my own enjoyment... but why not upload it.

Much love to Ayz and Martin for having me involved with this project!!

Bass,