The Risks of Making a Super Bowl Ad & Secrets To Shooting a Perfect Long Take [PODCAST]
In this episode of Indie Film Weekly, we debate whether or not America’s biggest day of ad spending helps aspiring directors.
Co-hosts Jon Fusco, Emily Buder, and yours truly, Liz Nord discuss this year’s crop of filmmaker-helmed Super Bowl spots, and whether contests that ask directors to work on spec are helpful or harmful to indie makers. Plus, it’s a bumper week for new lenses, awards season marches on, and we say goodbye to tripod innovator Lino Manfrotto. In Ask No Film School, Charles Haine gives tips on creating a film that appears to be shot in one long take. As always, we also bring you the latest gear news, upcoming grant and festival deadlines, this week’s indie film releases, and other notable things you might have missed while you were busy making films.
Listen to the episode by streaming or downloading from the embedded player above, or find on iTunes here.
Show Links & Mentions
No Film School articles
- The Coen Brothers Channel 'Easy Rider' In Mercedes Super Bowl Ad
- 'Rogue One' & 'Lion' DP Greig Fraser Shares the Discovery That Transformed Both Movies
- 'Lion,' 'Mr. Robot,' and 'Game of Thrones' Among Winners of 2017 ASC Awards
- 2016's Best Directors Named at the Directors Guild of America Awards
- To Be A Great Cinematographer, You've Got To Be An Inventor
- Tripod Innovator Lino Manfrotto Passes Away at Age 80
- 'Hunter-Gatherer' Director Josh Locy on Why Now is the Time to Make Small Movies
- Behind the Unusual Shooter-Editor Collaboration on a Sundance Award-Winning Doc [PODCAST]
- Uncoated Cooke S4s Give DPs More Options
- Schneider Releases Full Set of Cine Tilt Primes
- Rokinon Reveals Addition to XEEN Cinema Prime Line
Upcoming Deadlines: Grants & Opportunities
Upcoming Deadlines: Festivals
- Hunter Gatherer - February 7
- Author: JT Leroy Story - Available now
- Clouds of Sils Maria - February 12
- Speed Sisters - February 10 (Also on iTunes)