One of the many items on my "to write" list is a "helpful applications for filmmakers" article. I was thinking if I spent some time on the Moon I could write all of these articles, but short of that (anyone who's seen the Duncan Jones/Sam Rockwell film will know what I mean), there are just too many potential articles to crank out while also trying to make movies! Thankfully FilmmakerIQ and Filmmaker Magazine have both posted application roundups, which, as you can guess from the "filmmaker" in each publication's name, focus on applications for filmmakers. Highlights from both articles include:
- Action Log Pro - Action Log is a film and television logging tool, designed for use on location or in a studio with up to 25 recording devices. At the touch of a button the logging system keeps track of all reel names and timecodes for each recorded piece of action.
- Evernote - I love Evernote for keeping Web research organized — and for their elephant logo. — Esther Robinson, director
- GoodReaderGoodReader is terrific for script reading. You can widen the type to fit the page and then lock the scroll vertically. It’s by far the best way I’ve found to read screenplays. — Jason Kliot, producer
- pCAM Film+Digital Calculator - A Cinematography and Still Photography calculator for Photographers, Directors of Photography, Camera Operators, Camera Assistants, VFX Supervisors, Script Supervisors, Gaffers, Grips, Motion Picture Editors, Production Designers, Art Directors, Film and Photography Students.
- Qik I have found myself using Qik on set to share live videos from our shoots with Twitter followers, Facebook friends and Kickstarter backers. Here are some of those videos. — Arin Crumley, director
- Screenplay - Black Mana Studios’ Screenplay is the world’s first fully-functional mobile screenwriting application. It allows professionals and hobbyists alike to write complete movie and television screenplays directly on the iPhone or iPod Touch.
- Storyboard Composer - Cinemek Storyboard Composer for iPhone and iPod Touch is a mobile storyboard and pre-visualization composer designed for Directors, Directors of Photography, Producers, Writers, Animators, Art Directors, film students and anyone who wants to be able to visualize their story.
Head on over to the respective sites and check out their full lists for a cornucopia of applications that just might help you on your next project: