March 16, 2011

Film Students: Apply for the Telluride Student Symposium. No Joke, it’s the Experience of a Lifetime.

Every September, fifty lucky college and graduate students get to attend the Telluride Film Festival as part of its Student Symposium program. I was fortunate enough to attend in 2002, when in the span of five days we saw dozens of films and had intimate discussions with Ken Burns, Michael Moore, David Cronenberg, Fernando Meirelles, D.A. Pennebaker, Chris Hegedus, Kathleen Kennedy, and Frank Marshall. It was a transformative experience for me, and I'm sure most of my classmates would say the same. Applications for this year's program, which runs September 1-5, are due April 18. The Student Symposium includes access to:

• A rigorous five-day program providing at least four films a day
  • Festival events
  • Intimate discussions with filmmakers, artists, and great thinkers like Ken Burns, Peter Sellars, Laura Linney, Bertrand Tavernier, Werner Herzog, Slavoj Žižek, and others.
  • An extra day of Telluride Film Festival fun! (Official dates are September 2-5; the Student Symposium starts September 1).
  • A unique opportunity that provides a valuable and exciting addition to students’ studies, regardless of major, by nurturing independent thought and leadership skills of tomorrow’s trailblazers.
  • The primary deciding factor for acceptance is the applicant's passion for film.

As Student Symposium member, not only will you attend a packed schedule of films for free, but you'll also have special access to the filmmakers present that year. They also provide accepted students with a travel stipend (it's up to you to find the cheapest way to get there and the cheapest place to stay). You'll be watching films (or in meetings) day and night, so you'll do little other than sleep -- and you won't do much of that -- while you're in Telluride. And while flying into Telluride is prohibitively expensive, most people fly into a nearby airport (Durango, in my case) and take a van. An anecdote about my own ride from Durango: I ended up sitting next to soul singer Sam Moore (half of Sam & Dave, and Rock & Roll hall-of-famer), who was there as part of the Pennebaker/Hegedus doc Only the Strong Survive. He was so modest that he didn't tell me who he was, and I didn't know who I'd spent hours talking to until I saw his ten-foot-tall face on screen at the premiere. This just goes to show that, despite Telluride being a large festival -- both in terms of stature and number of films -- it's very different from most of the major festivals, in that it's much more intimate and far less commercial. There are no acquisitions made at the festival, and the docket is not announced in advance. To wit, here's a quote from the New York Times' A.O. Scott:

If [Telluride] seems to exist on a higher plane, this is not just a matter of altitude. Mostly it is the kind of place where, for one long weekend, all anyone wants to talk about is movies. There are no prizes, and therefore no juries; no market, no press screenings, no red carpets or paparazzi photo calls. The ethos is open and egalitarian.

If you're a student -- undergrad or grad, film major or not -- apply. ((Also, if you're a student or teacher at a "underserved and/or at-risk" high school, you can apply for your school to participate in the City Lights program, which is similar to the Student Symposium (it's for highs schoolers instead of college/grad students, and it's based on schools instead of individuals).)) As part of the application, you'll be asked to choose one film to take into the future, and explain why (the film I chose was, fittingly enough, Startup.com). All in all, I have nothing but fond memories of the experience (other than the fact that my arm was in a sling at the time), and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Link: Telluride Film Festival Student Symposium

As the dean of education programs for the Telluride Film Festival, I also want to emphasize that you don't have to be a FILM student to apply to the Student Symposium. ALL majors are sought and welcome. Please do apply! We offer one of the best experiences of your life!

Thanks, Ryan!!

March 16, 2011 at 7:06PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

I wish I knew of these things when I was in college. (I'm old)

March 16, 2011 at 8:22PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Scott

Is it also open for non students.

March 16, 2011 at 8:42PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

sreeram

--Please ignore my comment, i just saw and got the answer.

March 16, 2011 at 8:44PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

sreeram

Hey!
I'm super interested in participating- what's a good place to lodge during the symposium? Are there like youth hostels nearby?

February 9, 2013 at 11:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

juliette allen

I have met many students who have passion to become actors or producers. These students are very much inspired by the new movies and they love to make their career in media. They watch lots of movies some times on every weekend.

September 3, 2015 at 7:48AM

Thomas Blake
Photographer

I will soon enter my senior year of school, and afterward I will have a BFA in Film and Media Studies. I would welcome any guidance for http://www.assignmenthelpdeal.co.uk/ what I ought to do next. I need to make film, however I additionally all that much appreciate finding out about hypothesis and history. I have minimal expenditure, so on the off chance that I do graduate school, it should be sensibly modest or offer some budgetary guide.

March 22, 2016 at 6:11AM

May 7, 2016 at 2:54AM

May 25, 2016 at 9:21AM

When i was looking for the website that can give me resources for the clash royale game i found this generator where you can get free gems at http://clashroyalefreehack.com/ online and that too with a simple breath taking process.

June 18, 2016 at 3:44PM

Kelly

I'm basically a delayed prodigy with regards to it, I've generally been the one written work the story and/or in the after generation world. Reason I come here is on the grounds that numerous http://www.essayhelpdeal.co.uk industry individuals will let you know there inclination rather than trying to say what right you. So here it is: my financial plan is moderate, not searching for top of the line however vcams are costly, absolutely get it. I might want to utilize it for full length and also documentaries. What's more, on the off chance that you can suggest site that is extremely helpful just to find out about various sorts of camcorders and so on, I would truly welcome it. Much obliged!

August 31, 2016 at 3:26AM

microsoft help number provided by Microsoft for supporting of Microsoft products user to resolve Microsoft technical issues.

April 26, 2017 at 3:19PM

To solve of Microsoft windows related problems, windows support number is very helpful.

April 26, 2017 at 3:20PM

I simply want to say I am just beginner to weblog and absolutely savored this web page. Probably I’m want to bookmark your site . You surely have good stories. Bless you for revealing your web-page. http://www.listenfmradios.com/

June 22, 2017 at 3:28PM

HasanBajwa
Student

Hello! guys this one is an awesome card game you can enjoy it with your friends click on this link to get the games http://solitairetimes.com/spider/

September 5, 2017 at 3:40AM

To solve Microsoft office related issues 1-800-231-4685 number is very helpful for every body.

October 26, 2017 at 6:08PM

nice post

November 3, 2017 at 3:48AM

TechGeekXonsite provides affordable alarm system installation,LCD, LED, Plasma & 3D Flat Panel TV Wall Installation and Home Theater Setup services in Irving,TX.If you are looking for American Digitals local alarm system installation and TV Wall Mount Installation in Irving,TX, can call us @1866-633-3188.

January 9, 2018 at 7:00PM

TechGeekXonsite Offers Video surveillance, CCTV installation, security camera systems installation solutions for home and businesses in Irving,Texas.If you are looking for American Digitals local home security camera installation in Texas and fireplace tv installation service provider in Irving,TX, can call us @1866-633-3188.

January 9, 2018 at 7:00PM

Thanks for sharing the wonderful post with us. It is very informative and interesting also.

January 23, 2018 at 6:08PM

Every year the board is announced the AP SSC Results 2018 after completing their valuation, they release in the third week of May, we have expected this year also the SSC Results will be announced before the end of the May, and everyone can download their results after officials announced the Andhra Pradesh. You can check your marks from both online and offline if you want to check the online you go through the official website and check, here is the process to get the official link

February 24, 2018 at 5:30AM

who provides Proofread and edited academic essays for all of your subjects and topics form professional writers delivering high quality of work on time. Get comprehensive research along with tons of valuable references and citations form authentic sources. Round the clock customer support available. uk assignment writing service

August 1, 2018 at 3:00AM