August 14, 2012

New Web Series 'I Miss Drugs' Revels in the Happy Mundanity of Ageing

Do you remember when being up at the crack of dawn meant you hadn't made it to bed yet or when dinner parties were something only your parents attended? Filmmakers Nathaniel Boggess and Jason Eksuzian can relate. During a trip to a LA hipster store, where you can shop your fill for homemade jewellery, records, prints and other items that really set off a room but have little practical use, the pair were hit by the startling realisation that they were no longer at the vanguard of cool and upon Eksuzian's "I miss drugs" declaration a new web series was conceived and named:

Boggess and Eksuzian put their joint backgrounds in film and television to good use on the nimble Canon 5D production, lighting mainly from ambient sources with a pair china balls and inventive gripping bridging the gaps as needed. A Dana Dolly slider also enabled them to deviate from static frames throughout by adding subtle camera moves as motivated by the story. Jason gave us a quick rundown of how the episodes are put together and the aims of the series:

Our process basically goes like this: Nathaniel writes the narration and then I write the scene action to support it. We shoot 2 episodes at a time and on set I direct and shoot. After the first edit is made, Nathaniel and I come together to sharpen it up and add music. To us, the final card is a very important part of the joke and we put a lot into the song that accompanies it. Hopefully it kind of caps the episode.

Our hope is to create a mood that really embodies what it's like to be happily aging but just close enough to the party days to feel a little lame. Future episodes will continue this feeling but maybe ever so slightly expand our characters. The episodes will remain very short.

Web series are ten a penny nowadays so you have to hit the ground running and try not to stumble when you do. With its under 2 minutes running time, straightly played train of thought delivery and painfully relatable scenarios, I'm looking forward to seeing how I Miss Drugs progresses when episode 4 hits next month.

Have you ever created a web series? It's been a couple years since we looked at tips for building a web series, what do you think are the dos and don'ts that keep an audience coming back for the next episode?

Link: I Miss Drugs

I worked on a webseries once. Never again. It was a no budget student production, and it was their first time ever making a movie. My friend and I brought in all the gear, and he lit and shot the entire thing while I did sound mix and editing and scoring. We didin't get paid anything, and we weren't even fed lunch. We ended up gorging on fast food before every shoot in hopes that the calories would last us the entire day. Fucking hated that whole production and by the second episode we were so sick of the meathead "director" that we ended our relationship, dumped the rest of the footage on their hard drives, and told them to fuck off.

The only reason we even agreed to join the production was because they lured us in with promises of a "producer being interested in the pilot;" that "producer" ended up being the writer's family friend, who she only sees like once a year, and is a guy that works in the office of cartoon network. They pretty much lied to us in hopes of getting a free webseries done.

Never, ever, ever, do free work for students. Learned my lesson.

August 14, 2012 at 11:43PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

john jeffreys

Hehe, I once dp'ed for an intern/student who was this director type (he actually seemed talented at first). He claimed he had a lot of friends who are filmmakers and actors, and no problem, they were all going to help.

It turned out I was the only one on set except the director who had the slightest clue about filmmaking - and he wasn't actually that talented either. So I ended up working 16 hours without a break lighting and shooting and I couldn't even show the results to friends because some of the actors were really horrible, the script was dull and the editing wasn't good either.
At least it was only 16 hours wasted on good lighting and camera. The worst thing about it was that I really liked the lighting in some scenes, but as I said, I can't show the film to anybody, ever! ;)

August 16, 2012 at 6:31PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Heiko

Nobody on the set (except for me and my partner) knew anything about filmmaking at all. I hate this new post-dslr generation of students that don't know what the fuck they are doing, have no equipment, no respect and fear of the medium at all, and expect the best production with the lowest cost. such a terrible mentality.

August 17, 2012 at 1:13AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

john jeffreys

These are effing brilliant little films.

The details are bang on. Tempo is perfect. Makes the most of the limited kit, which suits the style perfectly. I would watch longer versions of this, no problem. (note: I'm at least a decade older than this is aimed at. It doesn't get better)

Re web series: yeah, unless they're really small deals or interviews, they generally suck to work on. Shot one once which actually had a budget. You reach the production saturation point VERY quickly. I was glad when it ended.

Oh, and yes, never work with students.

August 15, 2012 at 12:00AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

marklondon

The thing with the trash can in the second clip - is it kind of double ironic or what?
Because he says first they wanted to get a cheap trash can and then they bought this nice one for 25 bucks. So... either that stuff is a lot more expensive in Europe, because 25 USD seems like a real bargain for a nice metal trash can like that and you will hardly find anything cheaper except a grey plastic bucket.

So, was it supposed to be funny because he thinks he can boast with this "expensive" trash can for 25 bucks? If it wasn't double-ironic then he should have said they bought this designer bin for 150 bucks.
Or, maybe, as I said, houehold stuff is just much too expensive here in Europe and I don't get it... ;)

August 16, 2012 at 6:46PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Heiko

I think it was 25 bucks MORE than the next one.

August 16, 2012 at 8:13PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

These are pretty good. One just needs to get used to the humor, and then it's a home run.

Web series' are taking an interesting route. After having followed VGHS (purely for research purposes) I'm interested in seeing how "big" it gets in terms of production budget and value.

August 15, 2012 at 5:54AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

It's kind of like American Beauty for hipsters.

August 15, 2012 at 10:53AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Perfect comment.

August 16, 2012 at 2:56AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

D.B.

if i see one more person using the 'catch-all' phrase of "hipster" one more ****ing time i will tear out my own eyeballs? IS THERE EVEN A DEFINITION OUT THERE?

August 20, 2012 at 9:48AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

jay

Truly inspired. I'm so glad I read this blog every day. Great work guys!

August 15, 2012 at 10:16PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

These are hilarious. The short length is the way to go on these things.

August 16, 2012 at 7:12PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

jabbs

Yeah but, ah...can you make money on little web series?

August 18, 2012 at 8:06PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM