September 29, 2012

BOLD Camera Bag from Wooden Camera is Tough as Nails and Conveniently Sized

We don't feature bags too often on here, but the BOLD bag from Wooden Camera definitely stands out among many other competitors. Travelling with gear is a pain, no question about it, and if you're flying with an expensive camera, the last thing you want to do is put it in checked baggage -- because there is always that chance it won't make it to your destination. You've got to have a bag that fits airline regulations, but you also want it to be strong, and the BOLD bag checks off both boxes without being a hard plastic case. Check out the videos introducing the BOLD bag:

More details about the bag:

• The BOLD Bag fits a complete camera package and meets FAA requirements for carry on. It includes:
  • Large internal storage area (18.5 x 10.5 x 8 in)
  • 2x mesh lid pockets
  • 1x clear plastic pocket
  • 2x large dividers (10.5 x 8.5 x .5 in)
  • 2x small dividers (7 x 7 x .5 in)
  • Removable carry handle
  • Removable front handle
  • Removable shoulder strap
  • Extra hook and loop strap
  • Weight: 11 lbs
  • Dimensions: 21 x 13 x 10 in

I really like when a lot of thought is put into designing a product, and there is no question that is the case here. The fact that it fits perfectly in the Pelican cases as described above is a huge benefit, and it means you can be extra secure about your gear when you know you need to be in a harsh environment and it's going to be knocked around, or you need it to be absolutely sealed and protected from the elements. This isn't going to fit a large camera like an Alexa, but it will fit practically everything out there, and if you've got a Canon C300, EPIC/SCARLET, or DSLR, you can leave the camera more or less fully kitted and ready to go when you need to start shooting.

The see-through panel inside is a nice touch, and it's just another one of those additions that makes its way into a product when people are really thinking about production first. This definitely isn't a cheap bag at $460, but with bags you usually get what you pay for. If you buy a bag like this, it should last you 5-10 years, so if you consider the cost over a number of years, it ends up being a good investment to protect your camera on the go.

Link: BOLD Camera Bag -- Wooden Camera

[via DSLR News Shooter]

Disclosure: Wooden Camera is a NoFilmSchool advertiser.

not a fan of the bold writing on the bag.

September 29, 2012 at 6:15AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Awkward

Agreed. Assuming these take off, people will start associating the BOLD logo with pricey cameras. I know what I'd be looking to snatch if I were a thief. It's the same reason I didn't buy Red's Epic case for my scarlet. Despite the custom foam interior, the giant EPIC logo splashed across the face advertised that I potentially had $40K worth of gear inside. No thanks.

Still, this really seems like a great bag and I'd like to get one in the near future. I've had nothing but good luck with Wooden Camera products. Great business. Maybe shrink/kill the logo in the next wave of production?

September 29, 2012 at 8:27AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

It's just a patch that's sewn in the top so I don't see any reason why you couldn't just out the stitching, and then you've got no logo at all.

September 29, 2012 at 1:43PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

That's kind of a lame solution to a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place. If you're serious about making carry-on gear for filmmakers, you should take this into account with production. It's what's inside that counts...

September 30, 2012 at 2:34AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

I carry my gear around in a crappy, dirty, slightly torn up back. Because the last thing people expect to find in there is $3000 of stuff.

September 29, 2012 at 8:47AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

TehRandax

Me too, kinda. I use the cheapo 40 dollar canon backpack from amazon. It looks like a normal school/work backpack and I sharpied out the canon logo, and nobody knows it has camera gear inside.

September 29, 2012 at 2:33PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

john jeffreys

Pelican 1540 and 1560 hard cases fit in overhead bins. Pelican cases are tough as nails and can be lined with foam or padded rigid sides. Pelican cases are made in Torrance, California which is a suburb of Los Angeles.

You can find used Pelican cases for about $80 in craigslist and if you want stand on your pelican case you are welcome to do so. Its not gonna break anything.

September 29, 2012 at 1:41PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Ben Incahutz

Whenever I see a Pelican case, I always know whats inside. Either expensive cameras, or guns. Not too smart to be travelling with those, because I'm pretty sure most people who are inclined to steal shit know Pelican cases and how they are essentially treasure chests.

September 29, 2012 at 1:45PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

john jeffreys

11lbs for just the bag? That's 5kg, half of many international airlines' carry-on regulations. There's no way you can pack a full camera kit into this and bring it on for an overseas gig, and then the question is do you really trust checking in your livelihood?

September 29, 2012 at 4:52PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Looks great. Good demos too. I use a soft Pelican bag that's designed to fit inside their cases- maybe also a 1560. This bag seems overpriced by about double what I'd expect based on hard case options.

September 30, 2012 at 12:56AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Jonathan

Meeting FAA requirements does not necessarily translate into international measurements. I realized that when I ordered my Thinktank roller - there was an international as well as a US version (slightly bigger). Much like people travelling with Cinebags (equivalent to "steal me, I'm expensive"), I agree that the Bold logo has to go, or at least toned down substantially. That's why I love Thinktank products - makes me look like the business guy I'm sitting next to, carrying on a laptop, suit and shoes.

More important aspect is how to get to carry-on your equipment, not merely what bag it's in. These days, airlines are treating luggage as a separate profit center and the rules typically do not allow for two carry-on bags (I typically bring one for lenses, DSLRs and one for my main camera and laptop). One trick to get your cameras on the plane is to check in a regular suitcase with your non-essential gear (tripod, monopod, slider, glidecam - yes it fits) and have someone waiting with your camera gear outside the check-in area. Once you passed through customs, be among the last in line at the gate. If they make a fuzz about bringing two carry-ons, simply state that you won't fly if they don't allow you to (usually they will just let you pass anyway). Having to take off your checked-in suitcase causes a delay airlines simply cannot afford, so any such problems will likely disappear like snow before the sun.

A better solution, of course, is to arrange for permission beforehand. That's why I mostly fly with specific airlines that allow for such arrangements... Although there are not many left, these days.

September 30, 2012 at 1:43AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

One more thing: *always* put your swiss army knife or leatherman in your check-in luggage, it'll never make it as part of your carry-on through customs

September 30, 2012 at 2:47AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Almost made that mistake recently :)
I would have hated to throw away my leatherman wave at the check-in...
Also don't put gaffers tape in your hand luggage. In these days, they might consider it a weapon.

But always take a battery for your camera. I have had it twice that some security guy wanted me to switch the camera on. He just wanted to see a picture in the vf so he knew it was a working camera and not a bomb in a camera case. Or something like that...

October 5, 2012 at 7:33AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Heiko

When I travel with camera gear it is mostly a broadcast camera in a Port-a-brace bag, but I never thought about it being stolen because I never let it out of my sight.
What do you guys do with your camera bags? Put them somewhere in a corner and then go have a drink? Or walk across dangerous neighbourhoods with all your gear?

And by the way: when you have 20K or more of camera equipment in a bag, they will let you take it as hand luggage. I have done it over and over with the beforementioned broadcast camera. The bag is double the size of standard handluggage and it weighs around 24 pounds - but you can always take it as handluggage. Tell them it's an expensive camera. When they're not sure, let them call their boss.
When the plane is too small to fit the bag in the handluggage departments, they always have a special area near the cocpit where they can put it.
Just tell them what your camera is worth and that you cannot make it any smaller or lighter. No airline wants to take the risk of 20-40K USD equipment getting damaged.

October 5, 2012 at 7:24AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Heiko

Wow! A soft bag you can stand on? That's pretty cool...but at that price I'll just stick with my Pelican 1510.

Why didn't they go with MOLLE pouches instead of proprietary for the side slots?

October 6, 2012 at 9:28AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM