September 27, 2013

Attend the DSLR Dynamics Tour and Sharpen Your Filmmaking Skills

DSLR DynamicsIf you're looking to sharpen your filmmaking skills, then this might be something you should look into. Writer of The DSLR Filmmaker's Handbook Barry Anderson and planetMitch of planet5D are teaming up to bring you the DSLR Dynamics Video Visuals Tour, with lessons aimed at providing participants with greater knowledge on how to take their craft to the next level. Continue reading to get more details on how to get involved, tour dates, and a special discount code for No Film School readers that'll save you 15% when you sign up.

Lead by Instructors Barry Anderson and planetMitch, it looks like the DSLR Dynamics Tour will have something for everyone, whether you're a seasoned professional broadcaster or a wedding videographer wanting to give his/her clients a more polished product. The one-day program, which will run from 9am - 6pm, has two parts: Filmmaking and Video, which teaches attendees how to work with cameras, lenses, lights, sound, composition and framing, as well has how to use motion aesthetically, and Editing and Post-Production, fixing common problems in post, as well as capturing the look and feel of your project.

For a more detailed description of what the program offers, as well as the program's itinerary, click here.

Check out this promo video to learn more about what DSLR Dynamics offers:

DSLR Dynamics will tour 30 major cities in the U.S. and Canada. The tour begins tomorrow, September 28th in Vancouver, BC and ends in Washington, DC on November 24th. There are a few ticket options as well. You can pay for the whole program (Filmmaking and Video & Editing and Post-Production) for $179, or for an individual section: Filmmaking and Video ($149), Editing and Post-Production ($79). If you register before September 30th, you'll receive a 15% discount on your purchase. The discount code for No Film School readers is No Film School15.

If you're ready to stake your claim on a seat, click here to register.

DSLR Dynamics Map

If you're unable to make it to the tour, no worries. A DVD set will be available that covers everything from the workshop for $179. For more info, be sure to check out the DSLR Dynamics website.

And be sure to check out our free DSLR Cinematography Guide if you're interested in learning more about DSLR filmmaking.

Links:

Come to Europe!

September 27, 2013 at 2:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gavin

This would've been great back when the internet wasn't a thing, but with soooo many free resources available online (YouTube, this site, dslrvideoshooter, Hurlbut, Bloom, etc.) there's absolutely no reason you need to spend money on learning dslr video (aside from the actual purchasing of equipment). I'm sure these guys know what they're doing and are very knowledgeable, but you can learn about 99.9% of dslr filmmaking for free online. The beauty of the internet!

September 27, 2013 at 3:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

And, using DSLR in the title is a bit 2010 isn't it?

September 27, 2013 at 5:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Fresno Bob

Actually, based on my research and over 30 people who contributed to our free ebook "The HDSLR Revolution is dead... right?" which is available for free if you subscribe to the planet5D VIP email list, and the fact that recently it has been estimated that about 50% of the TV commercials in the USA are being shot on HDSLRs, then you might want to think again. Sure, many people have moved to bigger and more expensive cameras, but the DSLR is still a major work horse and many people are just coming into learning about video.

September 28, 2013 at 12:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I wouldn't piss on their parade. There's always going to be a significant portion of people who get a whole lot more out of interactive learning with real in the flesh tutors or others with more skill being present in the same space. For audiovisuals it's probably most if not all of us. And for those of us who for whatever reason cant get there, there's the video, or, as yet always, the internet.

September 27, 2013 at 6:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Shem

Sure, I get that. I just wanted to emphasize how much is available to everyone for free and how awesome that is. I'm always a bit skeptical of paying big bucks to learn something I can find on the internet.

September 27, 2013 at 7:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

You can learn how to wire a house on for free on the internet. Sorry but I would've skeptical of letting someone who learned that way wiring my house... That said, I hardly consider $200 "big bucks", particularly not when you step back and realize its not only a learning environment but also a networking opportunity as well. Hell, throw it on your résumé and LinkedIn profile while you're at it, a formal teraining seminar can't hurt your chances in applying for your next gig

September 28, 2013 at 12:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Amy

Personally, I agree with Dana (and on that Black List thing too) - once you exhaust everything available on the internet for free, then you can take a step up. As to the best use of $200 - aside of hiring a model to pose for flesh tones in a Red Epic demo - I would recommend a private tutor but only after going through every video that have been uploaded by Dave Dugdale, Digital Rev TV, Blunty, Frugal Filmmaker, Philip Bloom, B&H, Videomaker, Film Riot, Cheesy Cam, Indy Mogul, Big League Film School, Luke Neumann (got to give him a plug), Abel Cine and many, many more.

September 28, 2013 at 12:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

Lol that's not a great analogy, as a beginner filmmaker isn't going to be asked to direct a studio feature after watching a couple of online videos. Natural talent and skill is still a must. You'll either get hired because you know what you're doing and have proved it, or you won't. Not quite the same as an electrician whose job directly influences how functional your house is (who should also have a proven track record, or else why are you hiring this guy/gal?).
Also, I consider $200 big bucks because, for people like me who don't make tons of money, every bit counts towards the kit you're working with. That'd be a Hoya Vari ND filter right there. Given the amount of resources DLD listed and the equipment you'll need to purchase to produce decent work, I think it's wiser to buy the stuff you need to shoot and learn by watching videos from these websites and going out and shooting/getting dirty/messing up/fixing it/shooting some more. Just my two cents!

September 28, 2013 at 1:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Would be *

September 28, 2013 at 12:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Amy

Bummer! They were in Portland two days ago!

October 3, 2013 at 6:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

It would be nice to hear comments from people who have attended as it goes around the country, whether good or bad. Although over the years I've been to similar short touring workshops and I agree they normally are expensive for what you get. Yes there is the cost but there is also giving up a nice fall weekend.

To me the workshops I've attended in the past that work are the ones that don't talk down to the attendants assuming they need to make the info understandable by the total beginner. That to me is what can ruin these workshops. I've been one (not video) that was completely over my head and everyone in the audience was Phd material I still got more out of that than the seminars that allow the audience to dumb themselves down.

October 3, 2013 at 8:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I understand Dana's comments, but I can't be so closed like her..., it is a true that you can find many things on the net, but there are several points that you have to learn doing a professional Camera's test, and I guess this tour has this kind of results to share with the people that want to invest on the course. Getting ready for shooting a video for youtube is not the same to get ready to do a professional project. I have made a professional Short Film, and you can believe this: the camera is just an step in the production... the lenses are another determinant thing (many people think that using lenses from different builders in the same project is good, or speak about a builder over another one, but the real true is this: "you need to know how to choose your lenses" and that my dear Dana, if you are not a Professional, you can do a good desicion only with a professional support, because the lenses (the highest investment you have to do...), together with the color profile is decisive in the final texture of your project, and you also need to know how to choose the Color Profile based on the scene lighting needs (there is no single perfect color profile, at list on Canon...). The Crane, the Dolly and other supports NEEDS TO BE STUDIED TO BE USED!! (and if you don't have the experience believe this: the set is not the best place to learn how they should be used...) I did the test with my director of photography considering all this and the result was the expected one, so if you do not know about all this that I have spoken, plus external monitors, focussing, external sound, and professional post-production... you should not criticize before asking what is the contents of the course..., because many of this things (not all of them...) are commented in the net but not in depth

October 8, 2013 at 12:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

luis

Looking to be inspired, I attended this workshop in San Diego. After 2 hours of learning absolutely zero, I quietly left. I spent the rest of the day shooting, which was more constructive than getting a sore ass while reviewing what I already knew. It was all good info but I was led to believe from the promo that it was more advanced than it was. Oh sure if I had hung in there another 3 or 4 hours maybe it would have been worthwhile. I doubt it. Caveat emptor. PS it was very Canon-centric.

October 16, 2013 at 5:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

ronn

Can anyone help me out here? I paid for the course and ended up, I couldn't make it. DSLR Dynamics would not give me a refund and promised to send me a video of the course. Its been months and still nothing. I ended up contacting them again and they promised to send it out. Still nothing. I have this all on email. They totally screwed me for $179. I go to their page so I can contact their sponsors, but it seems like they removed that page. Please spread the news so others wont get screwed like me.

April 21, 2014 at 4:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM