September 29, 2013

Hawaiki Color Brings Traditional Color Correction Interface Back to FCPX

Apple threw us a major league curveball when they introduced FCPX a couple of summers ago. Not only did they re-conceptualize the notion of the timeline, they also completely changed the way we apply color changes to our footage. Although the new interface offers an interesting new take on color correction, for many people it doesn't beat the simplicity of traditional color wheels. Luckily, plugin creator Hawaiki has introduced their new Color plugin which restores traditional color correction functionality to FCPX in a sleek and easy to use interface.

Here's the product launch video for Hawaiki Color and a quick tutorial:

For those of you who are looking to bring traditional color correction functionality back into FCPX, look no more. Hawaiki Color uses three tactile, ultra fine grain color wheels, the kind you're likely used to from other applications, as the centerpiece of its interface. Beyond this basic three-way control, Hawaiki Color features fours sets of sliders: one for temperature, one for exposure, one for saturation, and one that allows you to blur, sharpen, add contrast, and change the hue of your footage.

It's striking to see such a simplistic, yet visually elegant interface that is as powerful and easy to use as Hawaiki Color. Even more impressive is that the plugin comes in at only $49, which is a bargain compared to many of the dedicated color correction plugins on the market.

Be sure to head over to the Hawaiki site to download a trial of Color, and check out Oliver Peter's in-depth review of Hawaiki Color on his fantastic blog.

What do you guys think? Do you prefer traditional color wheels over FCPX's native Color Board? If so, does Hawaiki Color restore the color functionality that you want in FCPX? Let us know in the comments.

Links:

I really like this plugin, def. one the better third party color correctors out there. The 1 thing that bugs me a little is that when you are pulling the controls down they keep going down off screen, never seen anything like that before.

One thing I wish they would add to the plugin is a better match frame feature to match shots, other plugins have this which is key.

September 29, 2013 at 11:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I wish Apple would buy BlackMagic so we can have color correction back. I LOVE Resolve more than I loved Color.

September 29, 2013 at 12:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Harry Pray IV

I’m afraid Apple would ruin Resolve with their prosumer approach :/

September 29, 2013 at 2:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe they should branch off. Apple and Apple Pro have a good ring to them.

September 29, 2013 at 7:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Harry Pray IV

Very cool interface. Looks like these third party color plug-ins for NLEs are quickly becoming popular. I can't seem to find any documentation on whether or not Hawaiki supports secondary correction, animation of keyframes, or even power masks. It'll never be a substitute for professional color grading, but it would be interesting to see how these plug-in alternatives will hold up on the scene.

September 29, 2013 at 9:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I actually really like the FCPX color controls, but the abilty to look at two images at once looks interesting. The biggest feature I feel is missing is the ability to drop a single grade across a bunch of clips, and to do adjustments to a string of clips across the timeline at once. It is these sort of "speeding up work" features that I think FCPX is missing, not the actually usability of color grade suite.

September 29, 2013 at 10:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

This isn't quite what you were asking for but using the timeline index makes this pretty easy. Type in part of the name, select all, and adjust the grade. For effects you can copy and paste parameters. The timeline index has been the single most important feature for me since moving to FCPX.

September 30, 2013 at 11:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

hi drew, you probably know this already but to speed things up in fcpx you just click CMD C on the clip you just graded. than you mark the clips in your timeline you want to have the same plug-in used on and you press SHIFT CMD V. you can choose what ever plug-in from the copied part you want onto the marked clips. it's super fast and easy. hope that speeds things up :-)

October 3, 2013 at 4:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

ernestB

The fastest way to grade the whole timeline is to create a compound of the timeline, then apply your grade.

October 13, 2013 at 6:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Omar Brown

I think Black Magic should buy Apple.
;)

September 29, 2013 at 10:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Valeriu Campan

I don't think Grant Petty has the cash for that...

September 30, 2013 at 11:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

slightly off-topic. I've grown to love the three color-wheels too... but often I find myself watching my histograms, seeing values needlessly being squished when I'm not careful to juggle the gains. So, many times I've almost wished for a good Colorista plugin with 5 wheels. The standard 3 that control the black, mid and white-points and then one in between each that would control the colors between mid and black without coloring crushing the black values of the channels. And the same for highlight manipulation without shanging the color of pure white... Or am I the only one? :)

September 30, 2013 at 4:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I've long thought that modern digital audio files should give a discerning listener an ability to remix the album and not just change the equalization scale (where one can play with the frequencies over a number of bands in a pseudo remix). In other words, why not have all colors available?

September 30, 2013 at 12:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

I guess because part of enjoying music is enjoying (and being surprised by) the decisions made?

But it's an interesting concept. Trent Reznor made material available for fans to remix.

October 1, 2013 at 10:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ben

Why can't we just click on the image itself and drag right or left for saturation and up and down to shift hue.

September 30, 2013 at 12:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Only good for 1-lighting footage in my opinion. That could undoubtedly be done more efficiently in other programs that are free.

October 3, 2013 at 12:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM