October 11, 2013

Infographic: Trace the Zombie Epidemic in Pop Culture Back to Its Source

Back in June, we touched on the possible explanations as to why people have such an incredible fascination with zombies -- we write books about them, participate in pub crawls, proms, and walks with zombie themes. However, nowhere else do we see the full breadth of our devotion toward our brain-eating buddies than in our films. In a fun and informative infographic, the zombie epidemic is traced back through the history of cinema -- where it first appeared in pop culture, and how it has evolved over time.

With information compiled by Halloween Costumes from a myriad of sources, like IMDb, Box Office Mojo, and Guinness Book of World Records, the Genre of the Dead infographic explores our obsession with zombies that started back in the 1920s with H.P. Lovecraft's serial titled Herbert West: Reanimator, which appeared in Home Brew, an amateur publication, in 1922.

Here's a little trivia that can help you win big at your favorite watering hole's zombie themed trivia night. Contrary to popular belief, iconic filmmaker George A. Romero didn't make up the term "zombie." In fact, the zombies that we know and love today don't really resemble the zombie-like creatures that originated in Haiti. But, the term ("zombi") was popularized by William Seabrook's 1929 book The Magic Island, and the award for the first zombie flick goes to the 1932 film White Zombiestarring Béla Lugosi.

Take a gander at the infographic below and traipse around in zombie history -- the beginning of the zombie popularity in the 60s, the full-fledged obsession in the 80s, as well as the current state of the infection.

HalloweenCostumes.com: Genre of the Dead

What are your favorite zombie flicks? Why do you think people are so obsessed with zombies/ghouls/the walking dead?

[via Halloween Costumes BlogFilmmaker IQ]

Is I AM LEGEND a zombie movie? In the original book they're vampires, and if I remember rightly even in the movie they can't come out in the sunlight without burning up.

October 12, 2013 at 5:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Is Dracula a zombie?

Well, to answer your question, no, I Am Legend is not a zombie movie. It's also not a good movie, but that's a whole different argument.

October 12, 2013 at 12:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jake

What's the definition of a zombie? It's amazing to see how greatly it has changed over time.

October 12, 2013 at 5:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

V Renée
Nights & Weekends Editor
Writer/Director

And the original adaptation may be the best? http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Man-On-Earth/dp/B001LXPRPS/

October 13, 2013 at 2:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dave Kendricken
Writer
Freelancer

Did you just post a banner for Halloween costumes as news?

October 12, 2013 at 7:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jonas

October 12, 2013 at 5:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

V Renée
Nights & Weekends Editor
Writer/Director

28 Weeks Later is my favourite zombie flick. Yes Weeks, the sequel. Brilliant.

October 12, 2013 at 7:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Stu Mannion

"What are your favorite zombie flicks?" - changes all the time, must say that night of the living dead (1968
) is a firm favourite as it was the only zombie movie I studied at uni during my film course.

And yes, this is kind of a plug for a mates zombie film (www.slaughterhousebride.com - it just had it's world premiere at the Pollygrind film festival) - I was talking to them about why they choose to do an indie zombie film and they reckon that because zombie films kind of have a passionate built in audience and "zombies" can be one of the most varied kind of monsters that you can create (are they fast, slow, what noises do they make, etc.) Not sure I agree with the last bit though, thoughts?

Plus they reckon for production value, zombie extras were easy to find, a couple of emails and they have the local zombie march group turn up, from memory I think they said that they had a couple of hundred+ "zombies" turn up on the day.

October 12, 2013 at 8:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brett

The original Night of the Living Dead is, was, and always shall be both my favorite zombie movie, and my favorite movie in general.

October 12, 2013 at 12:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jake

Nobody has noticed that Game of Thrones has got some zombies going on as well?

October 13, 2013 at 9:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Vanessa

I can't find a copy of '28 Days Later' anywhere. I hope my hardware can handle Left4Dead3

October 17, 2013 at 11:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Pete

I know it is not a movie/videogame/book, but MJ's Thriller should deserve at least some mention here, IMHO.

October 18, 2013 at 9:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM