October 26, 2013

Sigma Introduces the 24-105mm F/4 OS Lens

Sigma has announced the 24-105mm f/4, the latest addition to their Global Vision line. With all the talk circulating around Sigma's 18-35mm f/1.8, with its high performance and price tag that'd make any low-budget filmmaker smile, it might be safe to say that their newest lens might generate a significant amount of attention, too. According to cinema5D, the lens will find itself amongst a lot of competitors, and without reviews or demos to gauge its performance, we have to rely on the specs given. Read on for more information on Sigma's new lens, including specs and price tag.

Sigma's 24-105mm f/4 is a wide-angle to medium telephoto zoom lens designed for both full frame and crop sensor Canon DSLR cameras. Designed to be a versatile, "everyday" lens, it utilizes Sigma's Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) for autofocusing, as well as their Optical Stabilizer (OS). However, the Sony mount will not have the OS. Cinema5D elaborates on the lens' classification:

The new 24-105 is branded "A" in Sigma’s attempt to categorize all of their new Global Vision lenses. This means the lens will be classified as an Art lens, however due to it’s versatility it could easily slot into either of Sigma’s other labels -- Sports and Contemporary.

Here are some specs taken from Sigma's website, as well as cinema5D:

• OS (Optical Stabilizer) functionality
  • HSM delivers high AF speed and quiet performance
  • Offers F/4 brightness throughout the zoom range
  • Super Multi-Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting
  • Mount conversion service available
  • Sigma USB Dock compatible

Available with Nikon, Canon, Sony, and Sigma mounts, Sigma's new lens is listed as $899 on B&H and is available to preorder. and the expected availability is November 4th.

Be sure to check out cinema5D's article for more information, as well as which lenses pose as competition to the new 24-105. And we'll keep you posted as reviews and tests start rolling in.

Links:

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 not 1.4

October 26, 2013 at 10:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Derek

24-105? at F/4? Costing 900$ ? Not impressed.

October 26, 2013 at 10:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Cosmin Gurau

If you wait for a Canon rebate, you can get an even better 24-70 L lens for a little over $900. Terrible deal on Sigma's part.

October 26, 2013 at 10:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Bolex16

There is no way of knowing if the $1400 Canon EF 24-70 f4 L is "better" since the Sigma is hasn't shipped or been tested by anyone. But we do know that the Sigma is better if you need focal lengths about 70mm.

October 28, 2013 at 8:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Markus

Plus its not stabilized...i imagine owners of the canon 24-105 kit lens will be looking for that feature. id like to see a video comparison between these two.

October 31, 2013 at 9:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Arthur

misread nevermind....thought you meant the canon 24-70 f/2.8

October 31, 2013 at 9:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Arthur

$ 900, are you crazy? give me canon L

October 26, 2013 at 11:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Nelson

We'll have to wait and see.This could likely be sharper than Canon L zooms, just like the 18-35mm F1.8 is.

October 27, 2013 at 1:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ian B

Parfocal? What's the focus throw? If it's not parfocal not worth even mentioning.

October 27, 2013 at 12:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Paul Watt

Crazy how people are fast at criticizing anything...

It is cheaper than the Canon one, which is not parfocal and soft (I own the Canon version and use it a lot). Definitely worth mentioning. And chances are it will be optically superior if it follows in the footsteps of the 18-35 (which I also own). Let's wait the first tests before saying that lens is a bad idea.

October 27, 2013 at 5:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

It's crazy reading such comments, your copy is probably bad, I own a small rental company, the 24-105mm is a very sharp lens if you get a proper copy (certainly not "soft"), in our tests a bit sharper than the 24-70mm 2.8 (V1).The Canon is actually cheaper, it's been a kit lens since 2008 so there are far too many circulating the market, you can get one for less than $700 brand new. But lets wait for the Sigma, I like their new line.

October 27, 2013 at 8:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Michael

I should have explained "soft". It is not super soft but can't compare with any of the other super sharp lenses I have owned (like the TSE 24mm). I am suprised by your evaluation of the sharpness as many people concider this lens not super sharp. Maybe many people got bad copies... About the price, We are talking price of a new one obviously, not one that was part of a kit and then sold seperatly. Anyway there are many things that could be better (wait and see) on the Sigma, like the smoothness of the zoom ring for exemple (kinda nice for video). My comment was a reaction to people saying that lens was not even worth mentionning.

October 27, 2013 at 3:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Well sure, the 24-105 will never be as sharp as a good prime (although the sigma 18-35 seems to be super sharp, don't forget it's for cropped, full frame lenses are a different story). You are right about the focus/zoom ring, that's always a puzzle with sigma lenses, hopefully it will be improved. Personally I have high hopes for the upcoming canon 24-70 2.8 IS, but it will come with quite a price tag. It's the difference between having an extending front element and not, personally it annoys me as hell, and that's my main gripe with the 24-105mm..

October 27, 2013 at 7:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Michael

When I say "not worth mentioning" if it's not parfocal I mean that there's a lot of other lenses that are sharp, weather sealed, faster etc. and some are close to parfocal. This looks like it'll get longer as you zoom (no mattebox), will let in moisture, and isn't that fast, so unless it's parfocal, I can't really see why it deserves a mention here. I know there's some very nice Sigma lenses, and I'm definitely going to grab an 18-35 1.8 soon.

October 27, 2013 at 3:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Paul Watt

Sure I would love it to be parfocal too. Regarding the lens getting longer, it is the case also with the Canon one. Do you know any high quality zooms that are parfocal? I was very disapointed when I got the 70-200 2.8 IS II and saw it was not parfocal.

October 27, 2013 at 4:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I own the sigma 35mm f 1,4 lens and it´s the best lens i have ever owned. All other stuff i have is from Canon, like the TS 24mm 3,5, the 50mm 1,4, the 85mm 1,8, the 24-70 f 2,8 and the 70-200mm f4. but believe me the sigma is the best of all this lenses. so I´m really looking forward to see more of sigmas art line in the next time. I´m sure that the 24-105 will be very good.

October 27, 2013 at 12:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ben

Looking forward to seeing how this performs. It is cheaper than the canon 24-105 if you buy it new as opposed in a kit (which I think it's only offered with the 5dmk3).

So for someone who gets a 70d it could be a more affordable option than the canon 24-105.

I wonder if they will re-consider not having image stabiliser in the sony mount, since the new sony cameras don't have internal IS. Looking at the lenses that are coming out with the sony cameras this could have a real market there.

October 27, 2013 at 9:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

zeb

Do you have a mental imbalance? I see you going on every since damn article and talking about how everything goes with great with your GH2. It's not that great of a camera. STOP POSTING THAT ON EVERYTHING. It's f***ing annoying.

October 27, 2013 at 10:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

S

Chill.
You don't need to read every post.

October 28, 2013 at 1:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Charlie

Question:

I have a FS100

Since there is no OS for Sony on this lens, if I get a Metabones Canon adapter, buy the Canon Mount Sigma 24-105, will the OS work on my FS100?

October 28, 2013 at 12:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

The final review by lens tip is here http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=389
im personally not sold on this lens because of the vignetting was hoping stepping up from the 18-35 to a full frame camera and lens with a less vignetting... But there seem to be some plus points also tweakable IS seem interesting via usb lens dock. think i'll wait till the comparisons are made to canon's offereing

November 19, 2013 at 1:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Whispers

I just go this lens a couple of days ago. I'm taking it back for the reason that the parfocal issue is a deal breaker. I do alot of run and gun and the lens having that option is a must. This lens is very sharp... incredibly sharp but that short coming knocks it off the pedestal. The OS is horrible on this lens because it is not a smooth transition when correcting it actually jumps to your new location. Not worth what they want for this lens.

March 3, 2016 at 3:55AM