December 15, 2013

Latest Mac Pro Benchmarks Released, Along with Maxed Out 12-Core Price Quotes

New Mac Pro - Top - at WWDC 2013As the still unspecified December launch date for the Mac Pro nears, as well as unpublicized pricing for configurations other than the $2,999 and $3,999 models, we are all eagerly awaiting any new developments, and in the last few days, a couple of them have surfaced. Not only has MacRumors posted price quotes from members of both their forum and that of FCP.co, but they've also shared new sets of benchmarks for the 12-core Mac Pro have been uploaded by Geekbench as well. Continue on for more info.

Pricing

A few weeks ago, a member of the FCP.co forum reported that he had spoken with an Apple business rep and received information on the pricing for a maxed out Mac Pro. He writes:

I just chatted with an Apple business rep. Considering what the individual components cost, and what some of the estimates were, I'm SHOCKED at how good the pricing is.

A MAXED OUT MacPro- 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, D700s, and 12-core CPU is -- CN$9,700.

I also had him price out a 8-core with the 500GB SSD- and that was CN$7,700. I'm amazed.

That number may not seem all that amazing at first, but it's considerably less than some speculative prices that were somewhere in the vicinity of $14,000 for the 12-core CTO with all the bells and whistles (minus displays). MacRumors has also reported that one of their forum members received a quote for a higher-end 6-core stock model upgraded with additional RAM and flash storage, which came out to be a little over $5,000.

New Benchmarks

MacRumors explains that when the 6-core, 8-core, and 12-core models were tested, the first two were done so under Geekbench 3, while the 12-core was done so under Geekbench 2, making the results difficult to compare. However, the latest benchmarks for the 12-core have been uploaded, this time running on Geekbench 3 for all three runs. (Here are the links to Run 1, Run 2, and Run 3.)

According to MacRumors, the third run's better scores -- "roughly 10-11% higher than their 32-bit counterparts for both single-core and multi-core testing," might be attributed to the 64-bit version of the testing suite.

As we've said before in a previous post covering Mac Pro benchmarks, Geekbench is a CPU-only test that only measures processor and memory performance, meaning they don't utilize the GPU.

Mac Pro Benchmark

As far as the Mac Pro's launch date, we'll be sure to keep you posted on any new developments.

What do you think about the latest pricing/benchmark information?

Links:

I use both Mac and PC's but who is really going to buy this? And why would you? You can save yourself the money with a PC and put the extra into film gear. A much better investment in my opinion.

December 15, 2013 at 4:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Agree 1000000000000000%

December 15, 2013 at 7:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Alex

I am... and so is everyone I know... editors, colorist, compositors, graphic designers, etc...

Not to sound like an elitist, but when you're in the business and you're making money, this doesn't really seem like a high price for what you get.

Not every decision has to be about saving a couple hundred bucks.

December 15, 2013 at 7:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jorge

Mac has been dying on the desktop side for a long time now. Windows = 90% vs. Mac = 7% usage share. Mac users can throw as many emotional fits as they want, but the numbers show the trend of doom. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

December 16, 2013 at 7:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Razor

A couple of hundred? I could throw together something with a 12 core processor for the same price as that 6 core quote. It's not about saving a few hundred here or there, it's about being a principled consumer. If I can get a better machine for a lower cost and with far more flexibility, I'm going for that.

December 16, 2013 at 9:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Luca

But you can't get a better machine for a lower cost... not if you configure it with identical components... just go on NewEgg and see for yourself... you won't get much better prices than what you find on New Egg...

December 16, 2013 at 2:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jorge

Just to be clear, here is the component pricing... I'd like to see where you plan on purchasing them for a lower price?

E5-2697 v2 – $2500
1tb visiontech pci ssd – $1200
AMD W7000 (2x) – $6000
64gb ram – $600
motherboard – $300
psu – $100
case – $100

total – $10,800.

December 16, 2013 at 2:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jorge

That's not the machine which is quoted in the capture, the one in the capture has a 6 core processor and 512 gb pci.

December 16, 2013 at 3:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Luca

Re: AMD W7000 (2x) – $6000 ??? What the frack is going on here? An AMD W7000 x 2 would be $1,400. They are $699 each.

December 17, 2013 at 10:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Razor

I have the same question as Razor with the AMD W7000. Unless I'm thinking of a different graphics cards, the 4 gig cards are under 1k each. Also, NVIDIA cards are better than AMD for most of what you just said you and your friends do, especially when it comes to Autodesk and Foundry programs.

All the film studios I've done visual effects have an IT department that built their own machines. No matter how rich that studio is, I'm sure the extra couple grand per machine matters to the bottom line when they need workstations for hundreds of artists. That number Apple put on it's macpro is not even including the added cost needed to license software.

December 17, 2013 at 3:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

john doe

I've been impatiently waiting for a system like the new Mac Pro for years. I work as a DIT and to be honest trying to get different systems to work the way I want it to has been a disaster. The old Mac Pro is super heavy has no thunderbolt and no native USB 3.0, so I switched off that. Next I started using a MacBook Pro but it just doesn't have the computing power (graphics) to work the way I need it to. Then I went the hackintosh route but the thunderbolt motherboard was wonky at best (no hot plugging) and I had a lot of issues getting it to work with my sonnet qio card. Finally switched to an xmacmini which is almost perfect but it won't run davinci and CPU power isn't much better then the laptop solution. The xmacmini really prepared me for the new Mac Pro workflow and I believe all of the people complaining about thunderbolt over PCI will be pleasantly surprised how well it works when/if they finally pull the trigger.

But I do agree if you don't have a professional need for this computer it's way too expensive to just buy, and honestly you'll be ok with any of the options I tried or maybe an iMac. honestly as much as I could use the 12 core dropping ten grand will be a tough sell if I don't have at least one or two gigs lined up to use it on.

December 16, 2013 at 12:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Nick Hiltgen

Here we go, can't wait to have another mac vs pc talk.

Blah blah stfu.

December 15, 2013 at 4:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Mark

And you're still going to have to buy an external storage solution, a monitor (or two), keyboard, mouse/tablet, speakers, and overly-priced thunderbolt cables to hook it all up. No thanks, Apple.

December 15, 2013 at 4:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I guess people investing in a MacPro already own all that stuff ;)

December 15, 2013 at 5:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

sek

I don't... I have a MacBook and iMac, both would be will be useless with regards to the getting a Mac Pro. I am seriously considering a Hackintosh.

December 15, 2013 at 7:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Having put together the Hac Pro build in NFS's How to Build a Hackintosh guide, I can thoroughly recommend going the Hackintosh route. Give yourself a week to work out any bugs relative to your particular situation and you'll be able to get everything up and running. Have at it.

December 15, 2013 at 8:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

After 15 years using Apple based systems, I am moving over to a PC platform + Adopting an all-Adobe policy.

December 15, 2013 at 4:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

George

Well said Watson.
"I am amazed" some people can buy this instead of a custom computer with the same power that would also be upgradable and future proof for half the money and then you spend the other half for a camera and a couple of cine lenses.

December 15, 2013 at 5:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

don hogfan

You have no idea what you're talking about... component prices alone will put you well over half the price of the new mac... just look it up on NewEgg...

I'm sick of people comparing custom built PCs with lesser CPUs, Graphics, internals, etc... to Macs. The only reasonable comparison is by configuring a PC with the exact same specs... then you will see that it's really not the cheap after all.

December 15, 2013 at 7:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jorge

E5-2697 v2 - $2500
1tb visiontech pci ssd - $1200
dual gtx780 - $1000
64gb ram - $600
motherboard - $300
psu - $100
case - $100

total - $5800. Yes you are right, it is over half of the price of the maxed out mac.

December 15, 2013 at 11:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

don hogfan

PC part prices eventually come down compared to Apple prices, which are kept artificially high.

December 16, 2013 at 2:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

moebius22

Don't compare the D700s to 780's. The D700 that is only made for this line of Mac Pros and has specs close to the FirePro W9000, (D700 has slightly slower clock speeds) The W9000 is AMD’s highest performing workstation GPU that costs ~$3,300, kinda like nVidia Quadro's. And since Apple is providing two D700′s for the maxed out config, that's over $6,000 already.

December 16, 2013 at 3:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Adding in the other specs you posted that is well over $10,000 and actually pricier than the Mac Pro.
Hence why people expected a price of $14,000 for the Mac Pro and were surprised by the low quote

December 16, 2013 at 3:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I am glad we reached this point. I would wait for the reviews to see how close is the D700s to the top of the line w9000, but if we assume that we are talking about a video editing computer then even a single gtx780 is overkill. It would be much more beneficial to have dual processors since that is still one of the weakest points. Custom building a computer allows anybody to build a computer specifically adressing his needs. Spending 10Gs for a something that is most of the time not necessary is wasting your money, and that was my initial point, at least for video editing.

December 16, 2013 at 3:55AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

don hogfan

AMD cards are awful with Autodesk and Foundry programs. Personally, I think workstation cards are a rip off to begin with.

December 17, 2013 at 3:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

john doe

Spending 10K is probably going to be the maxed out 12 core... most people won't need or buy that... I'm going with the 6 core which should be around $6,000.

December 16, 2013 at 9:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jorge

Let me get this, you MacHead you: the only fair comparisaon would be one that would make the Mac the "winner" ? Take a deep breath and accept this: a PC of equivalent power would be less expensive. And easier to upgrade. Now hold you breath for 30 minutes.

December 16, 2013 at 8:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

FabDex

It's really very simple. Instead of trolling and calling people names, just link to a shopping cart with all equivalent parts. In fact, we don't even have to have you say anything at all, which would be great.

December 16, 2013 at 9:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Travis

You really cannot do basic addition can you? Either that or you cannot read...because this whole line of replies is about people pointing out that the Mac Pro (max specs) is actually closely priced to a custom PC equivalent. And as a custom pc user for the last few years, I am surprised.

December 17, 2013 at 3:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Closely price means lower, if YOU can do basic additions. And the PC would be easily upgradable. Another plus: you don't need an expensive AppleCare with a PC... MacHead is no insult. Mac sheep, well, that's an insult.

December 17, 2013 at 8:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

FabDex

I wish you were capable of spending longer than 10 seconds reading the posts you are replying to. But I'll help you out. At this time a rough PC equivalent is more expensive (by at least $300+), which is closely priced. On top of that fairly equal pricing (it is hard to tell because the D700 gpu is only made for the Mac Pro but based off of the W9000) Apple products retain a lot of their value compared to selling individual used parts from your pc as you upgrade. As for myself, I don't need a setup with a workstation gpu, the gtx series is good enough for my video editing needs. The HP mobile workstation with a Quadro k4000m i use at my day job is overkill for basic editing.

If you cannot apply some basic critical thinking and addition, save the time of wasting space on this page with your uneducated replies and move along.

December 17, 2013 at 7:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

This kind of power in this size form factor is going to be amazing.

There is no Mac vs PC argument. Macs run both. As I'm typing on this Macbook Pro I'm rendering in 3DSMax via Parallels with Windows 7.

I use Macs for the editing, compositing and grading side, and PCs for 3D and this will have the grunt that I wont need to run both systems.

My PC is a beast that set me back 3 years ago about double what this MacPro will cost now.

December 15, 2013 at 5:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

OMG!!!! Macbook Pro - rendering in 3DSMax via Parallels with Windows 7!!!!????!!!?? SO MUCH POWER, PC USERS HATE YOU FOR THIS!!!!

December 15, 2013 at 6:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Tyler

I have a Macbook Air too that I've run Max without any problem too. As a test I had 3000 teapots in the viewport at once and was able to rotate around them in the viewport just fine. I was amazed.

December 15, 2013 at 7:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

"But the size of this is amazing. I could travel with this. Have it in my carryon bag on flights. Plug it into the TV in hotels easily."

How charmingly 20th century.
My option would be to use a Surface RT to remotely use my studio based powerhouse.
Unless of course I was travelling back in time to when the internet didn't exist.

December 17, 2013 at 10:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

spam.i.am

For me, who is doing a lot of multicam and videoclips, with a lot of file playing at the same time, this is a no go.

Remember that you need to have a Thunderbolt Storage unit, for you video file. 1TB of storage is nothing.
NAS over internet is not fast enough, Maybe some usb3 HDD's.
But u need RAID0 (stripped) to have propper speed for you files, if you want to do multicam

Maybe if i had like 10k$ it would be an option. (pegasus TB raid = 2,300$)

December 15, 2013 at 5:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Tijmen

You should always be editing on an external drive anyway. So that's not anything new. My 2011 top of the line iMac with SSD destroys multicam clips. I was working in a project with over 20 multicam clips all playing at once and there were no issues. Of course this was all with proxy media, but who cares.

December 15, 2013 at 6:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Julian

In the old days we used to call it offlining and I used to run a Mac back in the mid 90's that would do the same.
So no biggie.

December 17, 2013 at 10:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

spam.i.am

Just curious, is there any reason that No Film School bloggers couldn't call various Apple reps to price these out, then write about what they find out? Seems like we'd get better info that way rather than second-hand from Mac Rumors.

I don't intend this as a dig at NFS. I really am wondering.

December 15, 2013 at 5:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Shawn

We're in an age where journalism is no longer expected, and people instead are paid copy, paste, and re-link (the Buzzfeed + Upworthy standard).

December 15, 2013 at 6:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Tim

Apple hasn't officially released any pricing just yet, but it seems some Canadian and business resellers have let a few invoices slip through the cracks early. That's why we're relying on secondhand Mac Rumors etc. reports. Should be official info soon.

December 15, 2013 at 7:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

My experience is with PCs, with a very low knowledge of Apple or Macs. Is it possible to spec a so-called Hackintosh better than these, and cheaper ?

December 15, 2013 at 5:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Saied

So long as you build it to the same config, then it will only be a little cheaper, but nothing worth writing home about... Don't forget, you're not getting TB with a mackintosh or the support and warranty of a Mac.

Although I love the idea of a Hackintosh, the disadvantages outweigh the benefits, in my opinion.

December 15, 2013 at 7:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jorge

When making the price comparison to a PC, one thing many people forget is the re-sale value of a Mac.

If you buy a top of the range mac just after release, you can easily sell it on after about 18-24 months for 60% of its purchase cost. I've been doing this with the iMac for the last 5-6 years. It means the total cost of ownership is a little over $1000 a year and you've always got recent technology. I'll probably switch to Mac Pro once the new model is released.

Try doing this with a PC, particularly a custom build, and you'll be lucky to get back 30% after 2 years. Once you consider things like OSX upgrades being dirt cheap (or now free) the long term cost of a Mac is often less. And their reliability blows away even the most expensive PCs I've owned (Boxx and HP workstations)

I use both, so I'm not a Mac fan boy. But I'm tired of people saying how expensive they are when they're not considering all the facts.

December 15, 2013 at 5:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Richard

I have a 2008 MacBook and iMac, you seriously think I will get more than a few hundred bucks for that? Resale only works for people who sell within a couple of years.

December 15, 2013 at 7:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

No - I don't think you'll get more than a few hundred buck for that. It's 5 years old and well past it's best. That's why I recommend 18-24 months. It sounds extravagant, but in the long run it's the cheaper, and therefore sensible, option.

December 15, 2013 at 8:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Richard

I sold a 2009 Macbook Pro with matte screen just before buying the retina one last year and got $900 for it... No way to get this for an old PC laptop!

December 16, 2013 at 10:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Marcel Heemskerk

I do the exact same thing every year with my macbook pro and iPhone... the resale value is ridiculous!

Not to mention, I lose nothing because of the rental fees I get on my equipment in the first place.

December 15, 2013 at 7:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jorge

For someone who *considers all the facts*, you seem to overlook the cost of buying a new mac after the resale. Most people don't build their own PCs for the sake of selling them. They build PCs because of their upgrading flexibility in the long run. Once you've got a good case, PSU, RAM, and storage (choose wisely) - you'll only have to worry about upgrading the CPU, GPU, and Mobo (though debatable) for the most part.

Final point: don't judge self-built PCs based on your experiences with PCs you haven't built (Boxx and HP workstations).

December 15, 2013 at 9:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Robby May

Haha - thanks for the laugh Robby.

I do consider the cost of buying the new Mac. I consider the tax write off of replacing it every 2 years. I consider that as a 3D animator with 8 Custom built PC workstations and 32 Custom built PC render nodes in our office that I have enough experience to make comment on both sides of this conversation. I consider that these custom builds are better value than the Branded Workstations we've owned in the past, despite not being as reliable. I consider that when we update these custom built render nodes we get almost nothing for the parts we're removing. I consider the lost productivity when we have software or hardware problems with our Windows based machines and the cost of the technician who comes in to fix them. I consider how we have had almost no hardware issues with our Mac computers in just over 10 years of business. I consider the big picture and the long term financial cost.

Final Point: If I said something to offend you, I apologise. But don't go trawling the internet criticizing other peoples opinions when you don't know a thing about their circumstances. It makes you look stupid and arrogant.

December 15, 2013 at 10:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Richard

Hi Richard, Mac Minis are surprisingly good as render nodes. They stack nicely. They are basically silent too.

December 16, 2013 at 12:04AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hey Simon. I've been thinking about this recently. Like you, we're using 3DS Max so we're tied to Windows. I know we can run this on the Mini, but it's not something I have any experience with and therefore makes me slightly nervous. We tend to use the Macs for Comp and Editing only and it's been working well so far.
Saying that, my main concern would actually be RAM. We have a minimum of 32Gb RAM in each of our render nodes and an increasing number have 64Gb. With the large datasets we use we have found that dropping below this gave us a large performance hit. At the moment, I think you can only stick 16Gb in a Mac Mini so they might not be the best option.
I do have a (very) Mac Mini render farm at home, but this is used for very small private jobs rendering from Luxology Modo in OSX. It works like a charm.

December 16, 2013 at 3:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Richard

You don't need to sell your PC after 2 years: you just upgrade it.

December 17, 2013 at 8:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

FabDex

But you'll still have to run OSX, which is kind of alright just now, but wait until they pull the rug from under the pro's entirely and force iOSX upon us all.

The new Mac Pro is a half baked gesture.

Pro computing will be Linux and Windows only within 3 years.

December 17, 2013 at 11:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

spam.i.am

I want one but can't afford it........that's my story and I'm sticking to it........Only if the Mac folks can see I'm not hating on their product and hook me up......make my Christmas a very merry one.......NoFilmSchool....can y'all pass this comment onto mac and hook a brotha up.....pleaseeeeeeeeee....

December 15, 2013 at 6:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Al

I went from a MBP in 2009, to my custom built PC because of price. But looking up the components plus apples resale value. This might be a good investment if you edit/vfx a lot.

WHY?:

The D700 that is only made for this line of Mac Pros has the specs close to the FirePro W9000, (D700 had slightly slower clock speeds), AMD’s highest performing workstation GPU that costs ~$3,300. Apple is providing two D700′s for the maxed out config. That’s roughly $6,600

The Intel Xeon processor is $2,749 on Newegg.

That's already at least $9,000 plus the cost of the chassis, psu, mobo, 1tb SSD, 65GB ram for a PC.

At the cost of $9,700 for everything by Apple, I'm also surprised.

December 15, 2013 at 6:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

And no viruses on Mac. None, despite what some will claim. In 10 years of running no virus software on a Mac I and anyone I know that have Macs have never ever had a virus. Try running an unprotected PC for even a day going to different websites, receiving files from wherever, I wouldn't want to try it. I keep the PC I use for the 3D work off the net.

December 15, 2013 at 6:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I've been running 7 without any sort of virus/security software for 3 years now and had never got any problems.

December 15, 2013 at 10:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Anh Dang

So... tell me, how would you know if you have virus/spyware without the software to tell you? I've worked in IT for over 20 years, and every single time I've been told this I ask to install a couple of programs and guess what? I find at least 3 spyware programs running with a max of over 200 of them found. Every. Single. Time.

To use the car analogy the we IT folk tend gravitate to - your like the guy who says that you only need to maintain your car when the check engine light comes on. The day you realize your wrong will be to late...

December 15, 2013 at 11:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

THAT Guy

Plus, maybe his engine light is not working and he doesn't even know

I would say the chances of such a system being malware-free are right about 0%

December 16, 2013 at 3:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Give it time.

December 15, 2013 at 11:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

moebius22

Its had plenty of time. Dont you think if they could they would? How many hundreds of thousands of viruses have been written?? And do you think nobody wanted to write a virus for a mac?

December 16, 2013 at 7:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

None? Flashback doesn't ring a bell? Just ask serious security experts and they'll tell you that OSX is the most vulnerable OS on the market.

And seriously, the argument is stupid anyway. I could run DOS and not get any viruses, but why would I want to?

December 16, 2013 at 9:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Luca

Flashback was a trojan, not a virus. There has not been a single virus in the wild for OS X. As for the rest of your comment, I'll just chuckle quietly here and move along.

December 16, 2013 at 9:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Travis

Trojans malware etc are marketing terms invented by anti-virus companies to sell different products (and in this case make Mac owners feel superior).
They are all viruseseses at the end of the day.

December 17, 2013 at 11:04AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

spam.i.am

Can anyone tell me, if I was editing/grading footage on one of these, how I can connect an external grading monitor? I've been connecting via SDI from my old Mac Pro by way of a Black Magic PCI card.

December 15, 2013 at 7:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

With my MacbookPro via the Thunderbolt port I use a Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor. Thunderbolt out of your Mac into this tiny grey box and then you have the choice of either SDI out or HDMI out to your monitor.

10 bit 422. I needed it to output from resolve but it works in After Effects, Premiere, a bunch of other apps.

Only about $160, maybe less.

December 15, 2013 at 7:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

First off, I read NFS to keep up with what is going on the video world, I thought this was a great read. I am interested in new technology that will help me do my job better, which a new MacPro fits into that category.

Second, we need to remember who the MacPro is targeted at - serious professionals in the video, photo & audio business who like MacOSX. (Not to people who love windows and are budget consensus) To which I say this going to be a great tool and thank you Apple for finally updating your MacPro.

December 16, 2013 at 2:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Bob Jones

Conscious?

December 17, 2013 at 11:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

spam.i.am

Does anyone know of any good data on the reliability of using PCIe expansion boxes? I've got a lot fast storage that I run on a mini SAS system, am considering a MacPro connected via TB to my RocketRaid card in a PCI expansion chassis. If this system works well, and I don't see why it won't, this eases the transition a lot to a non-expandable computer.

December 16, 2013 at 12:06AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

This might well depend on the future price development. For now, it seems that Thunderbolt is about USD80-100 per plug, which is much too expensive, I believe. I tried to make a sensible price comparison between a MacPro and a similar configuration by pricing individual identical components (including a certain amount for the OS), and iirc, I ended up with a price difference of about 500-600 Euro. Since the onlytechnical difference, aside from the case, was one versus six Thunderbolt ports, one pays about 100 USD per TB port on the MacPro. The situation is similar with peripherals. A Thunderbolt device with an Input will be about USD100-130 more expensive than e.g. USB, a device with Input and Output about 200.

December 16, 2013 at 3:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Thyl Engelhardt

Canadian currency is abbreviated CAD not CN.

December 16, 2013 at 12:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Roger

People will buy the new MacPro's. Many audio/video post pros and companies tied into OSX have been waiting for an update...I am interested to see how the new size vs. expandability will be accepted.

December 16, 2013 at 2:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

PhilP

The Geekbench results for the 12-core clearly show that it was a wise move by Apple to re-focus on dual GPUs & PCIe based SSDs. The progress that Intel is offering after two generations of CPUs is underwhelming. And they did not even lower the price per core. Unfortunately, a second GPU and expensive SSD takes ist price toll.

December 16, 2013 at 2:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Thyl Engelhardt

As much as this is kinda pricey, I am never GOING BACK to windows... Does that windows have made them have sleepless nites with crashing or hanging issues know what I'm talking about.... Apple is taking advantage here, and they know it..

December 16, 2013 at 3:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Henrovee

My very first Mac was a Mac Pro and the salesman in the Mac shop asked what I wanted it for (because a Mac Pro isnt usually used for just email etc) and I said to him "I'm going to install a Windows boot on it and run Maya" I was buying it because it was at the time the cheapest way to get that much grunt. When the salesman realised I had no intention of using OSX on it he looked mortified. Never forget that look. Anyway eventually I started booting into the OSX side and started to really like it. Little things like not having to defrag every five min.

December 16, 2013 at 7:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

You need to edumacate yourself more on the latest iterations of Windows.

December 17, 2013 at 11:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

spam.i.am

The technology in this Mac Pro will trickle down to the laptops and the iMac, as it did in the past. Waiting for those systems is worth the wait.
As much as I love the DIY Hackintosh route (from the early PC building days), buying the computer and not thinking about the components is worth the extra money. And from the post above, I can build this system for less than $10K.
If I'm jumping on the 4K bandwagon, this computer will crunch through that footage so I can leave work without waiting for DaVinci or Avid or PPro to render. That's worth something over the life of 5-7 years (which is how long this computer will be useful).

December 16, 2013 at 9:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

CORRECTION:
And from the post above, I CAN'T build this system for less than $10K.

December 16, 2013 at 9:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I guess for the diehard mac pro video people can all rejoice but i dont think for too long. Big things happening in the computer world in the next couple years (obviously) and it just seems this new offering will be passed even quicker than the origional was. Actually at lighting speed, I mean for $7 grand and you still need an external hdd/ssd set up? I don't know, it kinda already feels outdated. Reminds me of my fs700, great camera, even better with a recorder but in a few months we'll be seeing DSLRs doing the same thing for half the price. I think they're a little late in this one (about 2 years too late).

December 16, 2013 at 11:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Anthony Marino

For those with a professional, digital media mac infrastructure in place, be it one computer or many this makes sense. Time is money and as another post mentioned this price while spendy is not out of line for those used to spending and budgeting for top of the line equipment. The technology will indeed trickle down to other macs and PC's. But for the immediate future there is no where else you can get a Mac OS, 4K display out of the box, 12-core, Thunderbolt 2 computer.

December 16, 2013 at 12:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Craig Meadows

I hear PC people all the time saying macs are expensive. But every time I buy a new machine I do the math, comparing equivalent storage, processors, etc. the Mac I am looking at comes in around the same price as a PC. In fact, the last Mac Pro I bought was cheaper than the equivalent Dell Xeon desktop workstation. Xeon processors aren't the same as desktop i7's. Thunderbolt PC motherboards aren't cheap. Never buy memory and hard drives from apple; add 3rd party parts after. Other than that, the small "Apple Tax" is totally worth it.

December 16, 2013 at 2:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Kevin

This.

December 17, 2013 at 9:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Caleb

You do realize thunderbolt is just a gimmicky thing and more often than not you require adapters to adapt it to various other things - while in a PC you just buy a normal mobo for however much, and not need to deal with the exclusive thunderbolt and adapters.

December 18, 2013 at 2:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Tyler

A little troubling considering that the 2700 CPU will be replaced in a few months. Also troubled by the AMD video cards verses CUDA alternative.

I would spend 10 grand on a computer but it would have to be ideal. This is not ideal.

December 16, 2013 at 3:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Josh

In this thread, some useful conversation and speculation in between a whole lot of griping by people who probably know a lot about cameras but understand nothing about the differences between consumer grade and enterprise class computer hardware.

These prices are amazing. There will be people buying these for all sorts of reasons. I wish folks who fall into the "this definitely isn't for me, I can't even taste the idea without barfing" camp would just clam up and let the people who are genuinely interested in learning more talk to each other.

Right off the bat, anyone who thinks they can put together comparable machines for less is speaking from abject ignorance...maybe they can put together machines that would be okay for what they want to do, and that's great and more power to them and they should do so...but nobody is selling anything like this at any price right now. These are truly cutting edge desktop PCs.

December 16, 2013 at 5:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

trackofalljades

Looks like a good workstation, I do wish they had Nvidia instead, because AMD gave me a history of overheating problems, I simply hate they products.

To be honest, this just makes me wish, again, that I was living in a country where I get properly paid for the amount of work I do. :(

December 16, 2013 at 5:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

According to this chart posted here, 91% of doc editors are on a Mac. http://www-tc.pbs.org/pov/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/pov-documentar...

December 17, 2013 at 9:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

seth.iamfilms

That's because they're cheap and were fished in by the whole Final Cut thing.
Apple left them looking pretty darn stoopid when they foisted FCX on them.
When they go back to a proper NLE they'll have the choice of Mac or PC.

December 17, 2013 at 10:38AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

spam.i.am

Waiting for second or third gen.

I feel Apple is pushing the AMDs (Very enticing!) as an OpenCL powerhouse for FCPX, which not many have adopted. I need and prefer CUDA as an RT for 3D and other benefits that come with Nvidia products. It will be interesting to see how Apple will integrate this option, hopefully sometime next year.

December 17, 2013 at 10:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Lcky

Open CL works with Adobe CC, FCPX, and Davinci Resolve. http://youtu.be/Wi9d4uEaRYs

December 17, 2013 at 3:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Anyone have any (good) news on 10-bit color support?

December 17, 2013 at 5:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I'll take the lack of replies as a NO then :)

December 19, 2013 at 2:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I really don't see what the big deal is here!? PC vs Mac...If it works for you then great. I was a PC guy for years before I jumped to Mac in 2008. It came down to a reliability issue. PC really seemed kind of janky. Build quality of the Macs have always seemed refined and well thought out. Sure, it doesn't have every port known to man, but it sure works well and I don't have to worry about it crapping out on me mid edit. I don't know about you but I have no interest in buying an erector set and fabricating a machine. That said, a Maserati and Pinto will still get you to the grocery store.

December 18, 2013 at 1:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jamiison

The pricing is where it should be. Kudos to Apple for building a machine specifically for professionals, not for the prosumer/hobbyist set.

The things hobbyists are complaining about - external storage, etc - are just line items on a business expense worksheet and have been for years. Business will be buying these MP's in droves, just like the old one.

December 18, 2013 at 1:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hummer

Kudos to you for shooting such a powerful stream of ego at all of us. You must be absolutely dreadful to be in the same room with.

December 19, 2013 at 4:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Tom Barnold

APPLE made for professionals - what joke it is. The support for SME is not existent. Prices are outregious. I run, UNIXES on several boxes, my personal is AMD with 2x8 cores FX8150 32GB ram running Solaris, final film render for publishing goes at 337 frames/second (2.5K). The hardware - cost was under $1800 including 2x2GB 10krpm drives. APPLE can only dream of this kind of performance.

December 21, 2013 at 5:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

KRIS

Hackintosh with dual xeon motherboard, compatible hardware all the way for people that need no "portable" oil barrel. Nice try, tho, Apple.

December 18, 2013 at 8:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Natt

How much money would you save?
Can you give us a detailed run through?

December 19, 2013 at 9:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

MovieBuff

I'm buying 8 of them, full max, even getting Apple memory. Just because I can. But then, I have an Epic Dragon just for Skype. Like Oprah says, riding around in a Gulfstream is GOOD.

Your turn, haters... GO!

December 19, 2013 at 6:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Zan Shin

You can claim anything you want on the internet. Not hating but laughing at your low self esteem.Try to get a life instead of trying to convince us you have one.

December 20, 2013 at 12:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Gary

My grandfather always said "its not the bow or the arrow, it's the person shooting it that makes the mark".

So although it might seem really cool to have a maxed out Mac Pro? there are other bows, and other arrows, just make sure you know how to use them the best way possible.

December 19, 2013 at 8:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

franko776

I sure I would like your grandfather. Sounds like a wise man.

December 20, 2013 at 12:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Gary

Wow, the ignorance and hate in these comments is staggering. Mac vs PC has always been nasty, I get that, but man, this is nuts. Everybody is so quick to crap all over new tech, finding every little pinhole to tear apart and blow out of proportion. In addition, the ignorance here regarding new technology is downright scary as well. I would think, as professionals, we could be above the "hate on Apple" train. "Let's hate Apple for everything they do, just because it's the hip thing to do now. Pretty sad, if you guys call yourselves professionals.

Remember being excited over new tech; unleashing ideas of things you might be able to do or create with it? I do, and still get excited by new tech of all kinds. I see it all as one more door opening to a new opportunity, or a quicker way to get something done.

WTF happened?! Take a step back from the internet hate machine and get a look at the big picture. It's an amazing time to be alive, doing what we do. Yet, all I read is bickering and BS. I hope I never have to work with many of you on a future project.

This is a serious computer, a professional workstation, we all have access to (if we can afford it). It looks to be a beast, chewing through anything we toss at it. Get excited about that, instead of bringing everybody down to your level of insecurity.

Good day.