April 12, 2014

Talking with Full Sail University at NAB 2014

Yes, we're called No Film School, and yes, we get the irony of sharing information about a film school, but we caught up with Jacob Abercrombie and Alex Boyum at Full Sail University's "mobile experience" truck at NAB, which travels around giving hands-on demos to potential film school students. Check out what they have to say about the kind of education you can expect to receive at FSU, which offers Bachelor's and Master's degrees both online and on their campus in Winter Park, Florida.

Full Sail University offers tons of programs at all different education levels. They offer certificates, Associate-level through Master's-level courses on-campus, with degrees in Film Production, Game Design, and much, much more. If you like the idea of going to film school, but aren't very keen on the going part, you can apply to one of their online Master's or Bachelor's programs.

For more information, check out Full Sail's website.

Link: Full Sail University

NFS's coverage of NAB 2014 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel and Limelite. Subscribe to the No Film School YouTube channel for the latest video updates direct from NAB, as well as filmmaker interviews, tutorials, and behind-the-scenes features.

Do yourself a favor and get a bachelor's from a fully accredited school. Otherwise you can't teach at a real school down the road (a good source of backup income) and you won't be able to apply for a master's at real school. These for-profit colleges make unrealistic promises just to get your tuition money.

April 13, 2014 at 8:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

This article disappoints me. Obviously a paid advertisement, and absolutely against the spirit of this website.

April 13, 2014 at 11:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Colin

For-Profit Collages should always be views with a bit of skepticism. Their video game art program costs $81,000USD for example - I have a hard time thinking any program that expensive is worth the opportunity cost ( forgone income from regular work). If you need a degree from a film school there is very likely an equivalent from a state sponsored school available to you.

April 13, 2014 at 12:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

X

^ This
I pity the poor souls who start their careers in film/game design with an $80K debt from a for profit school. It's hard enough to make it starting with zero debt. Even the reputable universities are a very questionable investment in these fields.

April 13, 2014 at 1:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jorge

I went to Full Sail for film. Learned a lot about filmmaking but I can't say it's not anything that I could have learned either on my own or through a few years of working in the industry. I would have to be very proactive about learning it on my own but it's very possible.

The debt is why I don't advise people to go there. I have a long time before I'm done paying them and the debt to education ratio doesn't quite add up. I don't regret going there - but I wouldn't do it again....if that makes sense.

April 13, 2014 at 4:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

James

I suspect the need to create daily content for this site has had an ill effect on the quality and relevance of the articles. More and more they read like handouts from the manufacturer (or in this case, film school), I find "first person" articles more credible, and more relevant. As in the writer actually has experience with the product/service and gives a fair evaluation. We already have plenty of sites on the web that give us basically a slightly edited PR news release. I hope you agree.

April 13, 2014 at 7:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ronn

Shots fired!

April 14, 2014 at 9:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Michael Hawk

I clicked through to this article because I was interested in seeing the what the Full Sail "mobile experience" was like. Instead, I saw a video that advertised the school's program and approach to education. Why didn't you actually show us any of the stuff that was going on in the background? THAT is what the headline promised, and you failed to deliver on that.

April 14, 2014 at 11:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

John

college industrial complex

why pay 80k to hear an industry washout tell you how to make films when you can just go out yourself and make films and watch youtube tutorial videos for reference?

April 14, 2014 at 4:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

john jeffries

The only thing I got from film school was debt I didn't even need. Apparently me having the GI Bill wasn't good enough for them and they enrolled me in Sallie Mae without my consent. Well upon graduation is when I found out they had taken out loans. Not once did I ever receive correspondence from Sallie Mae. Now I owe close to $30k, on top of all my savings over years as paid my own way, for something I could've learned from youtube, a few books and set life experiences. Now it wasn't all bad as I actually shot everything on Film, mostly FujiFilm, and didn't touch a digital camera till I got into the real world. But I guess spending $100k on learning an obsolete medium was well worth it.

Worst part for me is I'm one of the few from my class actually working in film. Most are working at restaurants or small boutiques that cater to the lo/no budget clients making less than $12/hr as full blown editors and post production gurus, having very little upward mobility. Luckily I went to college already as an "old person" and was mature enough to graduate with a 4.0 and networked my ass off every chance I could. It's honestly the only way I've survived as a Freelance Camera Dept. person.

The for profit education system is all part of the plan. How else will all this cheap tech get used? Cheap labor from film school students in massive debt looking for anything that pays in the industry, that's how.

April 14, 2014 at 5:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jorge Cayon

This article has shaken my confidence in nofilmschool.com a site I've followed for years. Seriously guys? I'm not one to comment and I'm never one to flame but this is quite literally the antithesis of what this site is about.

April 18, 2014 at 1:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

No Film School has obviously gained a lot of respect (and followers) from people like me ... those who don't want or don't have the option to go to film school. We are gratefully indebted to no film school because they (like film riot and lightsfilmschool and of course VideoCopilot and Indy Mogul) give us all this amazing access to highly valuable content FOR FREE.
We all understand NFS and all the others have to pay the bills and put food on the table and advertising is part of life. What I think NFS has to be reminded of is that they need to prioritize their credibility and reputation by doing what they have always done, which is prioritize their viewers/readers.
And in this case what NFS can do is use their reputation and the respect they have for us and say "people, please cut us some slack and have a look at this paid piece from Full Sail School, it'll help pay our bills" ....
Yes, it is highly possible you won't get as near many clicks as if you hid the advert or disguised it as a genuine article but dang NFS ... we izn't dumm. (and less clicks in the short term is a lot better than losing your audience or negatively impacting your reputation in the long term.)

Sorry for the rant but I wouldn't have posted if I didn't care. I very much appreciate the stuff I learn here and being in Indonesia, this information is gold. Keep up the good work NFS and please, give us as much credit as we give you.

a fan from South East Asia.

April 19, 2014 at 10:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jakartaguy

They didn't ask us to do a video or pay us for this. It's tamer than I would have liked because apparently they would have had to run it by higher-ups if they said anything more and I wasn't about to do that, but they had an entire bus inside the convention center so I wanted to see what was up. They've advertised with us before, but not once did anyone from their company talk to us about any coverage.

This website might have been created in a spirit that was somewhat anti film school but we are very, very far beyond that at this point, and plenty of the writers have gone to traditional film schools.

April 20, 2014 at 12:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

Hey Joe, thanks for spending the time to respond. First of all, I don't think anyone has a problem with NFS covering film schools. In fact many of us would love an article from a film school explaining why we should invest in them rather than being self taught or even NFS making an article like "One thing film school has an edge on us is .... "(if that is even a possibility)...

I think the whole disgruntled feedback on this Sail School article started because (even though I guess erroneously) to most viewers the video was painfully one big paid plug for the school - I mean it felt to me that the first guy interviewed tried to get his whole plug in one big breath and the cut came in just when he was going to keel over.

And the title leads one to believe that NFS will go over the equipment in the truck and will make us "ooh and ahhh" although now that I re-read the headline it does simply say "go inside the truck" which you guys most definitely did do.

While this article shows us how sensitive your readership can be. the great thing is that this is not a recurring issue here at NFS and I think it's a lesson learned for everyone.

Again, thanks for all your hard (and great) work. You are definitely appreciated.

April 20, 2014 at 9:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jakartaguy

Thanks for the honest feedback. There are lots of moving parts during NAB with people all working on different parts so we're definitely listening to what everyone has to say.

April 20, 2014 at 4:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

I graduated Full Sail in 2001 from their Digital Media program. I admit, I learned a lot while I was there and probably wouldn't be where I am (UI designer on EA Sport's Madden and freelance camera op for ESPN) without at least some of the knowledge I gained from the place. That said, if you're already in the Orlando area, or considering moving here to go to film school, I HIGHLY recommend Valencia College's film program over Full Sail's. Valencia's film program is, both much cheaper, and an Associate degree, but that degree is transferable to places like University of Central Florida's film program (just down the road from both Full Sail and Valencia's East campus) and Florida State (I'm a UF Gator myself, but everyone in the state of Florida knows Florida St. is the only FSU) if you really feel a Bachelor's or Master's degree is truly necessary. My $0.02 on the matter.

April 21, 2014 at 12:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Amy

I also attend Full Sail and personally know/ have friendships some of the people in this video.

I understand why people may see this as a pressed advertisement, but that is kind of the point of the Mobile Bus, to advertise the school.

As to the purpose of Film School, as many posters here have mentioned, I think everyones experience/ needs are different, and specifically in the case of Full Sail, your education is what you make it to be. Is Full Sail for everyone?- No. Is film school for everyone? No. But I can honestly tell you, I was hired before graduating, working while in school, and my BS has been required for all the jobs I have held since graduation. I have been working solidly in the industry since '04. I am currently employed full time as a Cinematographer.

Not everyone needs a degree or to go to film school to make movies/ get work. But what Full Sail offered me was the chance to do a lot of F*&king up and not get fired or ruin my rep. I learned how to learn gear and concepts, and was able to experience some of the basics of many different positions, allowing me to broaden my understanding and choices of what type of career path/ position was a good fit for me, another word would be experimentation. I worked on multiple thesis projects in many different positions and spent many many many hours with the staff on and off the clock, learning and practicing the networking side of the business. For me, this was a solid experience that has been with me every day of my continuing career. This was also a time before the internet was what it is today, and that being said, could I have learned those things differently today? Possibly. But Reading is not the same as doing, how you go about doing again depends on the person. For me, it was money well spent, and has paid off as an investment. Have I recommended it to everyone, no, but I have to some that inquired- you need to be the right person to utilize something like college, or any education you get in life, no matter where it comes from.

IMO NFS is dedicated to sharing all the options, opinions and opportunities they can with those who are interested. Books are an option. Vimeo is an option. School is an option. Nepotism is an option. etc.. I feel that NFS does their best to cover all these aspects fairly, just as they do not pick one type of gear/ software/ position over another to cover in their articles. Joe, and the rest of the contributors to NFS, do this daily, so keep up the good work guys.

April 24, 2014 at 6:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM