April 8, 2014

NAB Video: Convergent Design Show Off the Powerful Odyssey 7Q & Previews the 'Athena'

It's not uncommon for today's tools to be equipped to handle multiple applications, and the Odyssey 7Q certainly exemplifies this. Ryan Koo caught up with Mitch Gross at the Convergent Design booth at NAB 2014 to get in depth with the 7Q and get a sneak peak at the upcoming Athena. Hit the jump to check it out:

Join the discussion about the 7Q in the comments below, and don't miss a beat from the Vegas floor with our NAB master post.

Link:

...

NFS's coverage of NAB 2014 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel and Limelite. Subscribe to the No Film School YouTube channel for the latest video updates direct from NAB, as well as filmmaker interviews, tutorials, and behind-the-scenes features.

Where the heck is the recorder??!?! They are offering a new one already without shipping the first round? I've had a preorder since the day they were available from BH back in August and I still haven't received mine...

Can't say I trust this company.

April 8, 2014 at 3:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I should clarify I have the Oddysey 7, not the 7Q on preorder.

April 8, 2014 at 3:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I got my 7q long ago.

April 8, 2014 at 4:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ditto – been using my 7Q since earlier this year and it's been out since last August?

April 9, 2014 at 12:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

7Q is what really in demand.
PS. Gotta say Mitch is one of the best spokespeople out there. The BMD and Atomos guys were good but they are also top executives/CEO's. For a hired hand, he is the tops. It's kind of surprising the bigger boys didn't catch him.

April 8, 2014 at 4:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

He's also lost weight!

April 8, 2014 at 6:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

marklondon

He didn't lose much weight ... he shaved his beard off! ... I go through the same process myself every 2-3 weeks ... (I shave my head too though) ... in any case, the camera business IS the cellphone/mobile business ... it's basically the same product - sensor, lens, processors, screen, OS - albeit at different price points ... and the smartphone market is actually heavily responsible for the advances in the 4K technology since power consumption and mitigation of heat is one of the major priorities of the mobile market and its leaders - Samsung, ARM, Qualcomm, etc. ... in that sense, both markets are in the commodity business on the sub-$500 niche, the main difference being that all of the mobile market is sub-$500 while the camera world still has some medium-to-high end differentiation ...looking long-term though, there'll likely be sub-$500 4K hybrid video/photo cameras and camcorders within two years ...
PS. Gene (not the GH2/GH3/GH4 but FS700+Q7 Gene), if you have some extra 4K footage laying around, upload some onto YouTube ... compression artifacts or not, it's still something to look at .Aand compare with GH4, A7s, etc.
PPS. I kind of beat up on the small'ish camera manufacturers like Red or DB because I really do think they're facing the extinction ... on the other hand, the accessory makers from the electronic like Atomos and Convergent Design - we'll see what happens to AJA's foray into the camera biz - to the various rig companies like Kessler and Zakuto to the lighting pros like Mole Richardson, Lightpanels, Fotodiox, Hive, online retailers like B&H, Adorama and Abel Cine, etc ... these boys and girls ought to be raking it in for a while ...

April 9, 2014 at 12:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Yeah that dude knows his stuff like no one else.

April 8, 2014 at 11:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Brian

What camera was this interview recorded with?

April 8, 2014 at 5:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Reign

I think this is really cool but I don't like the current trend. I have a BMPC and an Odyssey 7Q. I now feel like they where both released to fast. There are to many quirks and promises that aren't here yet... Then I see new releases and I feel like these are never gonna get finished, on to bigger and better. I feel like I'm done buying anything new. I'm just gonna wait until things are released, finished, tested, and in hands for quite awhile before I buy. I wonder how many others feel the same and how it will effect business? I just don't feel as excited about all the hype.

April 8, 2014 at 5:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Well that's just good sense.
The 7Q rocks - you're unhappy?
The time for getting ahead of the curve is over. RED and then ARRI fired the staring gun on that during a time where you could actually book jobs purely based on the camera you had just bought (2007-2010ish).
Let me repeat my mantra: unless you need that kit RIGHT NOW (like you're shooting in Myanmar Friday), and unless you think you're going to pay it off through work/fun/schoolwork in ONE year, don't buy it.
Spend the money on annual insurance and RENT.
These companies are releasing cameras so fast because that end of the business has become the cellphone business. The sensor and processing tech is pouring out of Asia, ever cheaper, so its just a case of packaging it for your market segment and adding new customers with new models every year. I predict within 5 years ALL camera companies will be playing this game, even those that currently think they are far above it.
So, think LONG and HARD about buying cameras.
I know a surprising amount of pros making solid money in video from their 7Ds, released in 2009. When they finally replace it, they should bronze them. :-)
Or you do a Matt Allard/Bloom where as a professional camera op you own 3-5 camera bodies, GoPro to F55/RED/ALEXA. Almost every serious doco pro now does this. You won't hear them complaining.

April 8, 2014 at 6:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

marklondon

I am happy with the 7Q to a point. I have a commercial company that I do work for that can use 4k for huge projection screens. I worked out a good deal and it was reasonable to purchase the 7Q for 4k. It says on CD site (and still does under fs700 raw) that future updates would be compressed 4k. It may still come but it worries me with new products and deadlines they have. Now I can deliver 4k to my client but how really? I would shoot for probably 8hrs and every 20minutes need to offload 1TB of 60p 4k? Thats impossible. I could buy $10,000 worth of cards I suppose? hahaha I waited and waited and when they said the new firmware would be ready very soon on their blog I pulled the trigger. Instead I got 4k down to 1080 prores which is awesome looking and I love it but still isn't helping me in anyway. If they release the new firmware with all they promised I'll be happy and take this back... I just am a little shocked to see so much coming out especially from BM with so little support for their last cameras.

April 9, 2014 at 7:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Seriously? You're shooting 4K for 8 hours, without AC power? BlackMagic Design Ultrastudio 4K straight to SSD or Thunderbolt 2 RAID.

April 11, 2014 at 1:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Staale

Love the 7Q.
Everything else is exhausting.

April 8, 2014 at 7:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joe Friedman

Yeah, the 7Q got off to a rocky start but they recovered pretty well. Look at Black Magic. Their cameras have been out for several years and they still have major issues with no fixes in sight really. About 5 months into the 7Q, the FS700 has been transformed into an insane camera. not just on specs but the image is just amazing. There's nothing new at NAB this year that I would replace the FS700 + 7Q combo with. The closest would be the AJA CION which looks great, but it's PL mount and has about 1+ stops less DR than the FS700 + 7Q.

And Mitch and Dan at Convergent, those guys are top notch. Mitch is so responsive on the forums and Dan goes so out of his way on tech support issues. The other day, I had an issue and he gave me a great solution then did a follow up phone call to make sure it all worked out. Who does that in this day and age?

April 8, 2014 at 7:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene Sung (non-...

You are 100% correct on all of this.

April 8, 2014 at 8:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

marklondon

Dan Keaton is número uno with me. Great guy. Always very helpful. Just wish CD would release the 7. Looks like no 4K or raw recording from the Sony F5 on the 7Q so, unless Sony releases licensing or whatever it takes to do that, I just need the 7. Dan, if you're reading, PLEASE get the 7's over the the dealers now. Or, I might buy one of Zacutos' new oled EVFs. Anybody played with one of them yet?

April 8, 2014 at 9:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hey all! Can anyone tell me straight when the Odyssey 7 is going to be released???
Looks like all promises and no delivery

April 13, 2014 at 1:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Reg

so Canon C500 would love to bond with this recorder? would that be the best choice?

April 15, 2014 at 11:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM