April 12, 2014

Redrock Micro Introduces a Modular, Stylized Rig for the BMPCC, the $495 Retroflex

Redrock Micro is probably best known for their award-winning One Man Crew, a motorized parabolic motion system, as well as their remote focus system microRemote. We stopped off at their booth at NAB, where Redrock's Brian Valente not only gave us a demonstration of the new features of these two products, but of their new 3-piece, vintage style rig for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, the Retroflex, which allows for handheld operation.

Retroflex

Retroflex eye piece

Retroflex

The Retroflex comes with 3 modules: the pistol grip with run/stop button, viewfinder, and protective cage. Currently the Retroflex is exclusively for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, however they do have plans to fashion the rig to fit other pocket cameras as well. The price is set at $495 and will begin shipping in about 2 months. Here are a few features:

• Retro styling and design.
  • Fantastic ergonomics for street or verite style shooting.
  • The cage protects the camera and adds mounting and cold shoe options.
  • Handgrip with run/stop trigger (removable).
  • wireLock accessory to secure cables (not included).
  • Removable viewfinder aids in outdoor screen visibility.

Share your thoughts about the Retroflex, as well as the new upgrades from Redrock Micro in the comments below.

Links:

...

NFS's coverage of NAB 2014 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel and Limelite. Subscribe to the No Film School YouTube channel for the latest video updates direct from NAB, as well as filmmaker interviews, tutorials, and behind-the-scenes features.

Was this filmed on a Blackmagic Pocket?

April 12, 2014 at 6:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Johnny

Yes, with no stabilization except my hands :/

April 12, 2014 at 7:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Micah Van Hove
Writer
director, producer, dp

Nice work :)

April 12, 2014 at 11:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Johnny

and you forgot to grade it

April 14, 2014 at 2:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

john jeffries

The Pocket is capable of some seriously good footage, as long as you don't move/breath on the camera.
I recently did a long take short (all in one continuous shot) w/ the pocket and a 18mm w/ a x.72 focal reducer for an effect FOV of around 13mm before camera crop, all on a 2 axis brushless gimbal system and was surprised at how much jello still ended up in the video. See what I mean: http://vimeo.com/nextbooth/short

April 14, 2014 at 10:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Which instagram filter did you use on this video?

April 12, 2014 at 6:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

So...a plastic thingy with a screw and a lcd loop for half of what the camera costs...

They can't be serious?

April 12, 2014 at 6:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

LumberjackSatan

They used the retro filter obviously. That means you'll buy it now.

April 12, 2014 at 6:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

JPS

I think Redrock Micro didnt get the idea on this.
The pocket is popular because of its great image and also because is cheap!
This thingy may look good, but is a big investment.
With 500 I'd rather buy the zacuto vf, a P&C handle and a Wooden Camera cage. That is about half the price.

April 12, 2014 at 6:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Martin

I agree. They definitely didn't get the memo on this one. I wonder who would actually would buy this in the real world at 5 hundy.

April 13, 2014 at 1:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ArchiCine

The faux wood just screams retro...Whoa

April 12, 2014 at 8:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Anthony Marino

He meant $4.95...right...?

April 12, 2014 at 9:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

Will the cage get in the way of the tripod mount of the Nikon G to BMCC Speed Booster?

April 12, 2014 at 11:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

William

The problem with the pocket is the jello. 13 stops is great if its on a tripod, but moving it around even with wide angle lenses and stabilizers and bam, jello cam. I really wish Blackmagic design would add a feature to allow the operator to adjust sensor read speeds. Call it a mode like "action cam" that reduces the dynamic range to like 10ish stops by only reading the sensor when all photosites on the sensor are active. aka record data only when the full sensor area is collecting light, and not record anything when the sensor is either initiating or terminating. You will loose light sensitivity, but get virtually no jello. Review this for more info on what i'm referring to. http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/global-rolling-shutter

April 12, 2014 at 11:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I own the Pocket and don't find the rolling-shutter a big deal nor that bad. In fact, the only time I notice it is when I'm extremely telephoto - and that's a problem all CMOS based cameras suffer from (unless they're global-shutter), including RED.

April 12, 2014 at 11:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Johnny

Interesting, maybe i have a made sample. I own a pocket as well and sadly had to spend most of today fixing jello from footage shot on it w/ a 18mm lens (with a x.72 focal reducer) mounted on a gimbal stabilizer. How are you going about getting smooth shots? I find anything shot w/ even a 28mm unusable unless locked down to sticks.

April 13, 2014 at 5:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

oops... made = bad
As in perhaps i have a defective pocket

April 13, 2014 at 5:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Interesting products but I would prefer seeing more of the products and less of the presenter.

April 13, 2014 at 2:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Alex

It's comedy how much people charge for this kind of rubbish and that people are actually foolish enough to open thier wallets.

April 13, 2014 at 9:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

josh

To be honest this kind of product is aimed at people like me. I kind of like what they are doing here. However, I do agree that using the pocket cam handheld will leave you vulnerable to jello. You could certainly do it, you just can't pan too quickly. I love 8mm, 16mm cams that you can just whip around, but that is not the pocket cam.

April 13, 2014 at 10:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Loupes are getting cheaper and cheaper . I think this money would be better spent on waiting for one of the new 2-axis handheld gimbals. I've got my gh1 setup like this for a hundred bucks....30 bucks for the rainbowimaging triggergrip.

April 13, 2014 at 11:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

kurth

Look, this is a GORGEOUS little rig, and I love the add of the LANC control to make it a real trigger handle. I wish more handles did that.

But 500 is ridiculous. I love the design, but not that much. You can totally spend it on better things, like a new lens, or a nifty zacuto doohickey. I could get halfway to a decent kessler jib for that price!

April 13, 2014 at 4:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

In the spirit of "to better ourselves as writers, directors, cinematographers, producers, photographers... " I can't help pointing out how frustrating the camera coverage of this otherwise informative interview is. I can't believe that the point of the shot is to fearture the speaker with nearly a continuos closeup, but rather, it was, or should have been to at least include the equipment. There's little that is more frustrating than to have a piece of equipment refered to and not also see it. Suggestion, pull out a bit, include the equipment as much as possible, second, and most important, listen. When the host mentions something, include it, go to it, plan ahead. Don't mean to be a pain here, but the equipment is interesting and deserves better shooting. My 2.5 cents.

April 13, 2014 at 5:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tony Cucchiari

I made this exact right myself last year with a kinotechnik LCDVF and a 20 dollar pistol grip from ebay

April 14, 2014 at 2:21AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

john jeffries

While others are still waiting for the long announced, promised EVF from Redrockmicro.....

April 14, 2014 at 8:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Thyl Engelhardt

Just get an EVF from any other company that will probably be less than half of what Redrock Micro is bound to charge...

April 14, 2014 at 8:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

You probably have not followed what they intend to do. First, they stated that they wanted to keep the price low "our target is $375 or less". Further, it will be a true EVF, not a mini monitor with a loupe attached. Much more compact, and better suited for smaller cams.

April 15, 2014 at 9:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Thyl Engelhardt

This is how I have my BMPCC rigged. Im using the Kinotehnik LCDVF and a cheap pistol grip. It cost me less than 200 bucks. Works really well. So nice to film true handheld again. I dont have a LANC but can't imagine paying an extra 300 bucks for that.

April 16, 2014 at 5:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM