Redrock Micro is probably best known for their award-winning One Man Crew, a motorized parabolic motion system, as well as their remote focus system microRemote. We stopped off at their booth at NAB, where Redrock's Brian Valente not only gave us a demonstration of the new features of these two products, but of their new 3-piece, vintage style rig for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, the Retroflex, which allows for handheld operation.
The Retroflex comes with 3 modules: the pistol grip with run/stop button, viewfinder, and protective cage. Currently the Retroflex is exclusively for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, however they do have plans to fashion the rig to fit other pocket cameras as well. The price is set at $495 and will begin shipping in about 2 months. Here are a few features:
- Retro styling and design.
- Fantastic ergonomics for street or verite style shooting.
- The cage protects the camera and adds mounting and cold shoe options.
- Handgrip with run/stop trigger (removable).
- wireLock accessory to secure cables (not included).
- Removable viewfinder aids in outdoor screen visibility.
Share your thoughts about the Retroflex, as well as the new upgrades from Redrock Micro in the comments below.
NFS's coverage of NAB 2014 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel and Limelite. Subscribe to the No Film School YouTube channel for the latest video updates direct from NAB, as well as filmmaker interviews, tutorials, and behind-the-scenes features.