May 11, 2014

Time-lapse & Mo-Co Are Now United in edelkrone's New All-in-One Action Module

When it comes to sliders, edelkrone has really made a name for themselves with the super portable SliderPLUS, and to make it a true microcosmic powerhouse they've introduced motion capture and time-lapse tools, the Wizard and Craft Modules. However, edelkrone is upping the ante once again by combining the slider control of the Wizard and time-lapse capabilities of the Craft into an all-in-one device, the Action Module, which aims at allowing filmmakers to complete a wider range of cinematographic tasks (especially when used with the innovative Target Module), while still offering the simplicity and portability the company is known for.

Edelkrone made a huge splash at NAB 2013 with their Target Module, which smoothly tracks subjects, panning and moving around a certain distance that can be set beforehand. It took the SliderPLUS to a new level in motion control, but there was still more to be desired. Enter the Wizard and Craft Modules, which, at the time, were welcomed additions to the rig as a whole, but their separate, particular tasks made moving your camera more restrictive and less efficient.

So, edelkrone combined the capabilities of both of these modules into a single one, the Action Module, which allows users to complete a wider range of tasks, including recorded motion control, time-lapse, stop motion, and macro videography.

This video from the company shows you how it works:

The Action Module's design is nearly identical to the previous two. It mounts to the SliderPLUS easily, has two spots for compatible batteries (Canon LP-E6, Panasonic CGA-D54, and Sony NP-FV), the single 5-way button, and incorporates a similar digital display found on the Craft module. It's compatible with both the SliderPLUS and SliderPLUS PRO, and as you might expect, the Action Module can be combined with the Target Module's object-tracking capabilities to achieve some really advanced camera moves.

Here's a video that details what the Target Module can do:

There are definitely limits to the Action Module, but what it may lose in pro sophistication and in-depth customization, it gains in simplicity and ease-of-use -- which is good news for beginners, intermediates, and those who just don't like programming!

The Action Module is scheduled to begin shipping in 4 weeks and retails at $800 -- it's definitely no small investment for many of us (though, filmmaking isn't cheap). But head on over to edelkrone's site to learn more about their new Action Module and all of its specifications and features.

Link: Action Module -- Edelkrone

[via CheesyCam]

I really, really like this system over the "One Man Crew" slider from Red Rock, which is gi-normous. Even the Kessler's Parallax uses a mechanical design, rather than a digital design like this one.

This is the future of sliders. Bringing a computer brain the equation will open up all kinds of interesting possibilities for filmmakers.

May 11, 2014 at 6:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Totally agree - Ive used the one man crew for a few shoots and it was nice but really is a one trick pony. The Edelkrone sliders are amazing. I can literally throw all my gear plus the slider and both motion/target controllers in my bag and get these shots anywhere. Plus Edelkrone is one of my favorite companies - their customer service has been very responsive for me and they actually listen to their customers.

I received the very first batch of motion controllers and the first thing I told them I wish it had was the ability to do timelapses. They assured me they were releasing a time lapse version to help with that. Sure enough they did, however it was a totally separate module. After many of us expressed our wishes to have them combined - they did! And it was within two months.

Im really excited for where these guys are headed. Also checkout their shoulder rigs and especially their follow focus system. The best Ive ever used.

May 11, 2014 at 11:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Am I the only one whose Edelkrone slider is totally rubbish!? It's really jerky and the "rock solid lock" has got an awful lot of wobble in it meaning that you can't leave it on the tripod when doing normal pans, tilts or even re-focusing as there's too much camera shake.

I've uploaded a little example video to show you what I mean:

I'm not impressed at all. My old, home-made slider works better than this! I contacted Edelkrone and they offered to send me a fabric belt to replace the rubber one which, while it will apparently be smoother, can't be used with any of the motion control gear. Surely the normal, rubber belt is meant to give better results than this, right!?

May 12, 2014 at 10:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shit man...I really think "jerky" would suit you perfectly...

May 13, 2014 at 8:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ubiquitous

I actually really like the mechanical nature of the Parallax. It allows both motorized and manual tracking slider shots. Both have their uses and it is nice to be able to quickly engage the Parallax without having to attach the controller.

May 12, 2014 at 12:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

cpreston

These sliders are a great concept, but are a failure in execution. They stick in the middle of the movement.

May 11, 2014 at 6:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Adam

uh no they dont

May 11, 2014 at 7:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

truthgirl

Especially with a motor driving it... no sticking at all.

Unless you have messed up the rail.

May 11, 2014 at 7:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

TOM

Uh, no. These are the smoothest fucking sliders I've ever touched. I played with them at NAB and it was mind blowing how little play there was and how perfect the target module tracked the movement. I had hyped this slider up in my mind since 2013 and usually when you hype something up for a year you are disappointed a little, but these sliders were even more amazing than the hype. After I got back from NAB I ordered the largest pro slider and all the motion control units. Now I'm just waiting to hear back about changing the order to the action module.

May 11, 2014 at 8:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Julian

I had 'sticking in the middle' issues with Slider V1 and Edelkrone fixed the issue for me.. V2 is amazing, no problems at all.

May 11, 2014 at 9:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Brenton

I wish I could say the same. This is my v2 and it's really sticky:

May 12, 2014 at 10:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hi Adam,

You could contact us anytime via info@edelkrone.com regarding your slider. So we could help you out to use your slider comfortably.

- İnanç

May 12, 2014 at 4:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

They stick in the middle because the rubber band gets used to be in this position after a while. You can get a nylon replacement of Edelkrone's webshop or you can take the rubber band of, get it straightened again en remember to NOT leave the slider in center position when not using it... It's a minor design mistake, a really stupid one, but easy to fix as well...

May 12, 2014 at 5:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Justin

I have the Slider V1 and Edelkrone ignored my emails

May 12, 2014 at 3:56AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hi Meji,

I've checked our email conversation with you and we are unable to find any information about your account on our system. It would be great if you could send us an email regarding your issue. If you purchased your edelkrone via reseller please provide us the name and an invoice regarding your purchase. So our customer support team will help you out immediately.

- İnanç

May 12, 2014 at 5:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Yet another DSLR slider.

May 12, 2014 at 9:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom DoP

Oh no! More options how awful! Why don't you go back under the bridge where you live. Why are you even on this site?

May 12, 2014 at 10:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Julian Faras

I love my edelkrone v2 medium. The USA staff has been very helpful and supportive all along the way too.

The slider has been a big hit with all the producers I work with because it is so fast and easy to use, no setup headaches, and FAST to use even as a 1 man band. I have it attached to a 75mm bowl adapter and lightweight manfrotto head/Canon 5D3 and it is by far the fastest, easiest, and most results-oriented slider I've ever worked with.

May 12, 2014 at 10:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

eric

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your kind words.

We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your SliderPLUS. Feel free to contact us anytime you want.

- İnanç

May 13, 2014 at 4:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Why does the specs do not mention how much load is supported?
I have a camera with up to 10 kg.

May 12, 2014 at 11:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom DoP

Hi Tom,

You could find detailed information about the tech specs of our products from www.edelkrone.com

But if your cameras weight is about 10Kg you could check the SliderPLUS PRO which is a heavy duty slider carries up to 14Kg.

If you have further questions feel free to contact us anytime via info@edelkrone.com

- İnanç

May 13, 2014 at 4:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hey Tom Dop - you can view the weight capacity specs here: https://www.edelkrone.com/us/p/287/sliderplus-pro

basically it's 30lbs, 26lbs, and 22lbs supported respectively on the M,L, & XL sliders. It makes senses since the XL will have much more cantilever when fully extended.

I got my SliderPlus Pro XL with the Target and Craft Module and am loving it so far. Build quality is exceptional and very solid. I leave for Bali/Cambodia/Bangkok today and am taking it along, so we'll see how it holds up.

Here is a test I did yesterday with the reverse dolly with an upward pan:

May 12, 2014 at 11:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Arvin, İnanç

Thank you for your feedback.

May 13, 2014 at 9:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom DoP

Hi all

I've been looking at Kessler, iFootage Shark and Edelkrone sliders. I was initially put off Edelkrone because of the negative reviews and the fact that you can't do vertical timelapse. The negative reviews may indicate early design issues/quality control issues so leaving that aside, it's the lack of vertical timelapse that bothers me. Is there any work being done to address this issue ?

May 14, 2014 at 8:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

doubledark

Hi doubledark,

Thank you for your comment.

There are several reviews made by our customers which could be negative or positive. You could also check the independent reviews from our website about edelkrone products.
But anyway currently Action Module could assist you while making angled/vertical real-time shot however could not perform all alone. When we consider the time lapse the assistance could not be available.
But we shared this demand with our engineering and design teams.

May 15, 2014 at 5:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hey Doubledark. I was also intitially put off by the lack off unassisted vertical panning, and I have decided to work around the limitations.

I will be using it a lot over the next couple of weeks and will posting a full review soon from an industrial designer's standpoint.

May 17, 2014 at 5:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I have been using the new action module for a little bit now. Here is my review of the Action Module and the Slider Plus Pro. There is definitely room for improvement but the gear does what I need it to do. Not sure what the difference is between online reviews and what they call "Independent Reviews"

June 14, 2014 at 3:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM