July 7, 2014

Canon 7D Drops to Lowest Price Ever

Canon 7D Body OnlyWhile we recently saw a dramatic drop in price for the Canon C300, another Canon camera is getting a significant price reduction. This time it's the Canon 7D, which is now being offered for just $1,000. The APS-C camera has seen a ton of use for both filmmaking and photography since its introduction in 2009, and was even given some extra life as a RAW-shooting DSLR with the Magic Lantern video hack (It's also capable of up to 2.5K RAW in a cropped shooting mode). There have been plenty of rumors, but does this drop mean a 7D Mark II is on its way very soon?

While the camera's price has fluctuated a bit in the last year or two, $1,000 is the lowest it has ever been for just the body. If you're looking for a lens in addition to the body, it's also available with the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM for $1,100. The 7D might be rather old at this point, but the image quality from newer Canon DSLRs in this range isn't significantly better (if at all), though they may have a few new features like autofocus during video. The 7D still stands out because it was originally designed as a pro APS-C camera, so it is built much stronger and is more resistant to weather than the lower-end Rebel series.

So is this new low price indicative of a newer model coming soon? It's definitely possible, as there have been some recent rumors suggesting that the replacement may be announced as early as September, and has apparently been used during the World Cup. Rumors are rumors for a reason, and until press releases and press photos are leaked, we can't be positive when we might see the next model or what will be in it. Either way, five years is a long time for any piece of technology, so a replacement this fall wouldn't be that surprising.

For the deals on the current 7D, check out the links below.

Links:

[via Canon Watch]

There is no point even if 7D mark II comes, unless, someone expecting dual pixel sensor and 24MP (from 18MP).

With equipped with Magic Lantern, 7D is a charm even today.

July 7, 2014 at 2:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Bushan

Still the best DSLR canon ever made for photo/video combo. 7DMII is supposed to drop in September.

July 7, 2014 at 4:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VinceGortho

Meybe canon will match somehow the video specs of panasonic gh4 with 7d m2... that would make me still want to buy canon. But don't think they will give us 4k as they have 1dc that does that....time to either move into gh4 or wait for canons response and see. Fingers crossed

July 7, 2014 at 5:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

The 1DC has been out that long and seems like a flop, at least I only know one person that has one. Canon has had time to realise the way its going. With the GH4 and A7s out Canon 1DC sales will all but stop I think.

So really do they have a choice?? Question is can any of the other Canon DSLRs cope internally with the demands of 4K?

July 7, 2014 at 7:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Canon is steering video shooters toward it's Cinema series, so I wouldn't expect too much. Video on DSLR's will go back to being a bonus feature for photographers unless another fluke discovery occurs or ML substantially expands the functionality of upcoming. With all of the options currently available the last place I am looking anymore is Canon's DSLR line.

July 7, 2014 at 12:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Marc B

Canon is going to have to do something to step up to the plate or lose a lot of ground they've gained over the years to the GH4 and the A7S, and that's just on the consumer front. They've got other problems in the pro arena as well with many other new start ups trying to deliver 4k pro camera, much cheaper than Canon's current crop of pro line cameras. The problem is historically Canon doesn't respond well to competition as they are so large they have their hands in so many industries.

Another issue is that we're hitting kind of the peak/end of 1080p technology. That is to say that The sensor on a 7DmkII is probably going to offer better sensitivity, but probably still be the same APS-C-size sensor, albeit with probably slightly higher resolution; 20MP vs 18MP, as an example. Even if 4k is offered, it certainly will be nerfed. The really good thing about a new 7D is that the tech inside will filter down to the 650d/T5i level eventually, raising the bar for most indie filmmakers; the ones that can afford a $700 camera, like the T5i, but not a $1,700 one, like the GH4, or the 7DmkII.

July 7, 2014 at 5:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Neil

Hell will probably freeze over before Canon brings out a Rebel series DSLR with equivalent stock features to even the cheap Panasonic G6 which is available right now. (the G6 is the "successor" to the famous GH2: http://www.eoshd.com/content/10824/panasonic-g6-review-the-gh2-redux http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6788/panasonic-g6-topic-gh2-re... )

So I would not bother waiting for "tech to filter down" with Canon.

July 15, 2014 at 4:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Canon's DSLR scene for film makers hasn't been good for years, the only camera worth getting is the 5DM3 and that's just because it shoots 1080p Raw and even that has nothing to do with Canon, If It weren't for Magic Lantern, I wouldn't even get the Mark 3. Apart from that, Canon aren't interested in improving their DSLR video and haven't been for years. You'll never get Raw video on a DSLR from Canon because they don't believe Raw Video belongs on cheap tiny cameras. EVen though I hate the size of the M4T sensor, Panasonic are definitely where it's at regarding film making on a DSLR, forget Canon, unless your interested in the likes of the C300/100. For Film makers, Blackmagic, Panasonic and other companies emerging are where my money is going. Canon has nothing to offer me.

July 7, 2014 at 7:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shaun Fontaine

To be fair no one else except blackmagic thinks raw belongs on a cheap tiny camera either, and the 7D has ml raw, not just 5d3. I think 6d and/or 60d does too in fact

July 7, 2014 at 8:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ryan

While they have ML raw, few of them actually contain any truly useable RAW features like a pro camera. The 60D can't even handle 720 raw, let alone 1080. I think the 50D, because of its CF card, can handle something close to 1080. But they often require certain cropped modes, and their are major limitations (recording length, reliability, etc).

5D3 stands apart because it has pretty constant 1080 raw

July 8, 2014 at 3:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chris

...and the 50D is useless for any video uses outside ML Raw, which makes it an all or nothing option. So not a very practical camera to buy at all!

July 15, 2014 at 4:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Just get a RJ Lens Turbo for not much more than a hundred bucks:

Then your GH4 (or any other m4/3) camera will have an equivalent of a "Super 35mm" sensor! (a bit bigger even than Nikon or Canon's APS-C)

July 15, 2014 at 4:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

A year ago I bought a Canon T3i for doing video work. My logic was to invest in an EF lens mount ecosystem. I got lucky with a steal of a bargain with my first lens purchase ($50 for a 28mm f/2.8 lens at a mom and pop camera shop). Then the venerable nifty-fifty, and a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.

In that time I've learned I hell of a lot more about what's out there for me. I dreamed of moving up to a 7D, 5DMIII or a C100/300. I used to have extreme reservations about the smaller sensor in something like a GH4.

However, 1080p just isn't cutting it anymore. I love the detail range from a 4k image. I was afraid that I'd be locked into a family of lenses that would make any camera jump just that more expensive. Aside from that Tamron EF lens I never use any native Canon glass anymore. My go to lenses are Nikkor AIS primes (35mm f/2 and 85mm f/2) using simple adapter rings for Canon.

So there isn't a lens collection holding me back. Awesome (nikkors can be adapted to anything). I deliver 1080 for web. Most of my work requires good low light sensitivity. Go with a GH4 and light the stage better, or go with an A7s, and add in an external recorder for 4k. At least I'll have a full frame sensor and cleaner high ISO imagery. As it stands, nothing from Canon appeals to my needs anymore (that's under $10K).

July 7, 2014 at 9:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Canon wont upgrade their DSLRs to be better than a C100/C300/C500 these cameras are selling very well. And there is no need for a 4k dslr when you have the C series outputting 4k to 1080p already- which is exactly what you're going to do with your GH4k.
Me, I'm done with canon. I dislike the company. I'm barely holding on to Blackmagic for the interview they gave with Joe about the 4k camera not having any problems. Fortunately their 2.5k and pocket are a bit more solid which have 12bit color/ better dynamic range and color science than Canon's punchy looking color science.
I don't get it. We finally have cameras that shoot Alexa-ish, why are people still looking forward to 8bit dslr's? I understand there are some work arounds with Blackmagic but the final thing that matters is the output, not how cool it looks, right?

July 7, 2014 at 11:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VinceGortho

damn. Sorry Luis. This was not meant to be a response to you.

July 7, 2014 at 11:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VinceGortho

Agreed. Don't even bother looking to Canon for innovation when it comes to video, they wouldn't know it if it him them in their face :-P

Go with Panasonic GH4 or Sony A7s or Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera etc

July 15, 2014 at 4:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

@Luis "However, 1080p just isn’t cutting it anymore." LoL, don't mix up resolution with poorly compressed files.

July 7, 2014 at 2:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Marcus

Marcus, you hit the nail on the head. So many videos in extremely compressed, degrading formats are digested through the web. 4k definitely has it's place, but maybe it should be second priority.

July 8, 2014 at 12:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Paul

1080p isn't cutting it anymore...for whom? The millions and millions of people watching 360P youtube videos on their 5" smartphone screens?

July 7, 2014 at 7:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Swissted

'1080P isn't cutting it anymore' is a statement made by people who have no real connection to filmmaking in the real world.

July 8, 2014 at 12:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

You don't know much about video... And you probably don't understand half of what you know... Several films were shoot in 1080p and were released in movie theatres.

July 8, 2014 at 2:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Oups I think you were actually replying to someone... There is a reply button...

July 8, 2014 at 2:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Very sensible about getting the Nikon F mount lenses!

I keep on telling everybody they need to do that, instead of buying Canon EF.

As buying Nikon F mount lenses keeps your lens investment relatively "future proof" so you can go to wherever the latest tech developments come from, no matter who the brand is, without being tied down and locked into just one brand.

July 15, 2014 at 4:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I seriously doubt the image quality in video is going to beat the Mark iii.

July 7, 2014 at 9:38AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

moebius22

Canon has clearly stated in a lot of press that they plan to keep their still camera lines and their pro video lines separate. Unfortunately I think this means no 4k in their DSLR line for a little while yet.

July 7, 2014 at 9:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jacob

The only thing that us stopping magic lantern to make the camera better is the limitation in hardware.

If the new models came equipped with Cfast cards 14 dynamic range 4k sensor. Vp9 or h265 internal codec Canon would have made a hell of a little machine monster.

July 7, 2014 at 10:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

edgar

cfast is worthless right now. The cards are just way too damn expensive.

July 8, 2014 at 10:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Bertzie

Canon wont upgrade their DSLRs to be better than a C100/C300/C500 these cameras are selling very well. And there is no need for a 4k dslr when you have the C series outputting 4k to 1080p already- which is exactly what you’re going to do with your GH4k.
Me, I’m done with canon. I dislike the company. I’m barely holding on to Blackmagic for the interview they gave with Joe about the 4k camera not having any problems. Fortunately their 2.5k and pocket are a bit more solid which have 12bit color/ better dynamic range and color science than Canon’s punchy looking color science.
I don’t get it. We finally have cameras that shoot Alexa-ish, why are people still looking forward to 8bit dslr’s? I understand there are some work arounds with Blackmagic but the final thing that matters is the output, not how cool it looks, right?

July 7, 2014 at 11:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VinceGortho

Yes, Canon should know by now that if they don't start "cannibalizing" their own gear, someone will do it for them. There is only one way to go for a protectionist mindset in this rapidly shifting industry, and that is down baby down. So dropping prices might be a small price to pay in order to dominate the market once the dust has settled. Kodak time is over, we're in a brave new world. Oh, and Nikon just might be getting round to realizing that the moving image is the future of stills.

July 7, 2014 at 12:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

William

Myself I don't think Canon will put 4K in a DSLR you a year or so. I'm still learning a lot to. Started with a Canon VIXIA HF G10. Witch I still have, but got a 70D back in last Sept. I have invest in an EF lens mount to. I will give it a year and see if I need to go with a GH4.

July 7, 2014 at 3:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Michael Bishop

There are two major trains of thought with regard to this -
one - the new Canon sensor technology is so good that it will make their xurrent prosumer and pro lineups obsolete virtually overnight.
two - they will revamp their complete prosumer and pro lines anyway. Some models - 1D C is the likely candidate - will go away entirely while others will linger on due to the previous models popularity (5D III, C300).
Chances are are we'll see a lower end 4K model similar to GH4 (whether or not, it's actually called 7D II), with a typical staggered feature set at higher price points such as the recording bitrate, sensor size, sensitivity, media, etc. Still in question are a total number of models that Canon will have out. Their camcorder style products may have something to do with this as well.
As a side note, on some tests, A7s showed white dots at high ISO with the noise reduction off. URSA and Cion, which use the same sensor as BMPC4K, seem to have similar FPN problems.

July 7, 2014 at 4:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

I predict Canon will NOT break any new ground when it comes to their dslr video line. They unknowingly started the revolution and have since fallen way behind.

July 7, 2014 at 4:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Actually it was Nikon who "unknowlingly started the revolution", as the first ever DSLR to add HD video was the Nikon D90 (a camera I've used quite a lot myself, but I'm glad we've advanced on since then!).

Nikon are now back in the lead over Canon when it comes to HDSLRs, when you look at the Nikon D5200/D5300/D7100/D3300 etc

July 15, 2014 at 3:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

if one has to stay with canon (and that's definitely a big if), for the same money the 70D is a much better buy than the 7D. not just the AF either, the 70D is way cleaner in high iso too and has the handy flip screen.

July 7, 2014 at 7:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Yup!

I mean they put the same chip the 70D has as a paid upgrade for C100 and C300... it has to be pretty decent!

7D had its time... that time has come and gone.

July 7, 2014 at 11:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom

looks like canons trying to clean out there warehouse full of paper weights

July 8, 2014 at 1:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Although it's out of my range, I'm curious what will happen to Canon at the top end ie a possible replacement for the C500. They know how to keep people guessing.

July 8, 2014 at 12:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Saied

Hi ! I've been working with a T2i for 2 years now. My camera operator studies will be over in a year now and I plan to continue making shorts as much as I can with my association.

In order to do that I would now like to upgrade my gear to something a little bit better so I have a good equipment to start properly ! At first I was dreaming about the 5D or even the brand new Panasonic GH4 but they are a little bit over my budget and frankly I don't really need to shoot 4K yet. I've looked at the 7D since its price dropped and I was wondering if this camera would still be a good investment right now ?

In short : My T2i have served me very well, I love it, but I now need something a little bit better that will allow me to keep up for the next 3 or 4 years without lacking to much possibilities.

What do you think of an upgrade from my T2i to a 7D today ? Knowing that it shall be used almost exclusively for making video. If it doesn't seem like a good idea to you, could you explain why and maybe propose another solution with an acceptable price ? (Let's say under 1000$ for the camera since I'm also looking for new top of the range lenses.)

Thank you !

July 9, 2014 at 5:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Cys

I've seen it for couple hundred less when canon had some refurb sales. $1000 isn't that great of a price for the 7d, even if new.

July 11, 2014 at 6:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

closeupman

If you are a filmmaker with not much cash then the Panasonic G6 is the blatantly obvious choice to make, just go for it!! :-)
(however... I wouldn't ignore the option of getting a Panasonic GH4 if you can afford it just because you are not going to use 4K, as the GH4 is still the finest hybrid camera ever made for shooting 1080 with!)

The #2 choice after the G6 in its price range would be the Sony A6000, #3= choice after that would be the Nikon D5200/D5300. But I'd say a Panasonic G6 is clear winner over those if you're fairly new to this, due to its features. As for Canon... *NOTHING* Canon makes in this price range comes anywhere near as good as the ones I just mentioned.

For myself, I personally most recently went with getting a Nikon D5200. But if you're total new to this I'd still recommend you go with the Panasonic G6 instead. I only went with a D5200 instead because I knew very very specifically what I wanted and what trade offs I'd find acceptable, but it *still* was a tough choice for me between the G6 vs A6000 vs D5200! So if you're starting out with not much experience with the many different kinds of cameras, don't worry about that and just get the Panasonic G6.

For those who have slightly different budget requirements who might be reading this, if you've got a lot more money to spend then the Panasonic GH4 is an easy choice over the G6 (but double check your budget! As the body is a *small* part of the overall budget, once you add it up... you might realise a G6 is a more sensible choice for you), and if you've got a much smaller budget then the clear winner here is to get a second hand Panasonic GH1 (which is what I did myself for my first camera, it served me very well!).

I highly recommend taking a look at this webpage:

I found it very useful when I was starting out, and it is still broadly applicable to anybody starting out with any other Micro Four Thirds camera. The key difference I'd note is buy all your lenses for a Nikon F mount (as is the best way to "future proof" your investment) and use the RJ Lens Turbo (it isn't mentioned in the webpage before, because focal reducers didn't exist back then for m4/3, it is a relative recent development which is a huge game changer):

July 15, 2014 at 3:55AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Just waiting that C100 price drops too :-D

July 9, 2014 at 12:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

It already had a price drop back in January. Don't hold your breath for another one before it's replaced.

July 9, 2014 at 12:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

$5999 now, including the updated dual pixel autofocus system ($500 charge) and a 24-105mm F/4 lens that retails for $1,150.

July 9, 2014 at 8:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Why on earth would anybody buy a Canon C100, unless they've got too much money, when a Panasonic GH4 is out now!

July 15, 2014 at 3:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Just for the record - the weather sealing is good but doesn't survive a 2 year old with a full cup of sprite...
Whoa! Still love my 7D so I had it repaired...

July 9, 2014 at 7:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jer

This thing survives being frozen into an ice cube, then breaking that ice with a machine gun, then sitting it on fire. Still works. It's insane how tough the 7D is.

July 12, 2014 at 4:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ebrahim Saadawi

Wow, incredible blog layout! How lengthy have you ever been blogging
for? you make running a blog look easy. The entire glance of your web site is magnificent, as smartly as the content material!

July 16, 2014 at 11:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM