August 2, 2014

You Probably Wouldn't Have Guessed Strapping a GoPro to a Tire Would Look This Beautiful

You may already be familiar with putting cameras on spinning objects and what the footage looks like afterwards, but a recent video of a GoPro duct-taped to a car tire is pretty fantastic, as long as it doesn't make your head spin too much. Ryan Fox, creating a video for a summer course, decided to rig the camera to his car one night, and the results are simply gorgeous.

Ryan Fox explained how he rigged the camera for the video, which was shot for his University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee 'Video Sketchbook' summer film course:

Believe it or not just duct tape. Tested it on slower roads at first and the camera wasn't budging so I took it in the city going 45mph.

My first thought when it really gets going is jumping to hyperspace in Star Wars, so if you're trying to get a low-budget space effect, this would be an interesting place to start. I think the low-end rhythmic sound of the tire spinning also helps give it that sci-fi feel. What's fascinating about the video is that each frame isn't necessarily that interesting, and the compression is really doing a number on those frames, but in motion, it all comes together really beautifully. The rolling shutter of the GoPro is likely contributing to the effect a great deal -- so this is a situation where a global shutter may not actually have been as interesting-looking.

Check out more of Ryan's videos over on his Vimeo page.

Link: Ryan Fox -- Vimeo

[via Fast Company & Reddit]

That was even cooler than I thought it would be. Wow! For added pleasure, hit replay with video muted and your choice of music playing in the background.

August 2, 2014 at 8:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Too much rolling shutter

August 2, 2014 at 8:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Marcus

Oy, can ya believe this guy? ^^

August 2, 2014 at 8:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ben

Its just utterly disgusting! Way too much rolling shutter. Oh my god! that darn rolling shutter on that darn GoPro. I want to be refunded for my time watching it (Sarcasm) But on a serious note - Omg! Too much rolling shutter... :\ I actually thought it was pretty cool :) - Rolling shutter....

August 2, 2014 at 9:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

matt s

On an even more serious note: was there even rolling shutter in that test?

I'm puzzled. What I see is the motion blur from the camera spinning. Rolling shutter should severely screw that, but it's not happening here: it stays a nice, circular motion blur.

I'm not even sure this is a gopro. It seems to be a similar camera with a global shutter CCD sensor.

August 3, 2014 at 6:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

This is the kind of thing you'd get with a rolling shutter:

August 3, 2014 at 6:50AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I was just yanking the guys chain. Its a go pro he has various other videos.

August 3, 2014 at 2:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

matt s

Yes, I know, but mine was a serious concern anyway :)

This similar video (shot six months ago, btw) does show the rolling shutter artifacts I was expecting:

August 3, 2014 at 4:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Wow, this is much better than the article's video!

August 3, 2014 at 7:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

MiguelFranco

And done 6 months ago, but it didn't get a Vimeo Staff Pick so nobody noticed. He does deserve a lot of credit, though.

August 4, 2014 at 5:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Oh my god.. if not for that awful rolling shutter.. this video could have been much cooler... that damn rolling shutter took off all the creative and artistic value of the video. Marcus my man you are a genius to notice that.

August 2, 2014 at 9:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

gult

lol im i the only who got it ?? ...good one

August 2, 2014 at 9:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Fix

Haha people get your sarcasm radar checked

August 3, 2014 at 1:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Marcus

Well , the effect is mostly created by the shutter speed, isn't it? I think it would be cool wih a global shutter too.

August 3, 2014 at 4:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Adrien

Im just not happy with the quality, will try this on an alexa

August 2, 2014 at 8:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Daniel

Haha. Best of luck with that.

August 2, 2014 at 8:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ben

It could become a standard in camera tests like the whip pans we see of telephone poles or the brick wall shots. You could test 4 cameras at once, gopro, the alexa you mentioned on another wheel, Gh4 on another, and an F65 ;)

August 3, 2014 at 7:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

It's an awesome effect ! Total hyperdrive sort of feel. That being said, I started getting motion-sick at :45...

August 2, 2014 at 9:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

The faster the better, I felt like I was going to fall through my iPad.

August 2, 2014 at 9:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Anthony Marino

This is for Gaspar Noé

August 2, 2014 at 10:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

JDG

That low tech effect would surely impress him...

August 3, 2014 at 1:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Toufek

I strapped a Red Dragon to my sons motorbike and just let him rip it down dirt roads yea. Looks ok.

August 2, 2014 at 10:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Bill

Last piece of footage is reversed - guy puts out cigarette in bin and finishes fueling up the truck - Is is legal in America to smoke in gas stations??

August 3, 2014 at 6:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Stu Fletcher

Smoking pots in the United States is still illegal under federal law. However, some states have created exemptions for medical marijuana use, as well as decriminalized non-medical marijuana use... It might however make you head spin : no good to drive, no good to engage in any filmic activities either.
Smoking pot in a petrol station is a bad idea (always), canabis makes you forgetful, sometimes (in rare occasions) you don't even remember the name of your mum.
In France it is illegal to smoke cigarettes in a public place like the vicinity of a train station even in fresh air wide open space. That's so unfair.

August 3, 2014 at 1:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Toufek

You should extinguish all flames before entering a gas station. A buddy I used to ride motorcycles with had a funny way of adhering to this rule. When we pulled into a gas station to fuel up, before he filled his tank, he would douse his lit cigarette with a shot of gasoline from the nozzle.

August 4, 2014 at 2:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Oh God, this is 2001's stargate sequence all over again! Heavenly or hellish kaleidoscope.

August 3, 2014 at 6:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Natt

Hahaha, indeed a lot of 'rolling' ;-)
I like it :-)
Cool idea!

August 3, 2014 at 8:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Someone must have gotten really bored to come up with that idea.

August 3, 2014 at 5:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Vox

Plane headache

August 4, 2014 at 5:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Einar

Wauw.... this will be perfect to watch while on shrooms......

August 4, 2014 at 7:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Torben G

It's a time travel machine

August 8, 2014 at 2:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM