September 5, 2014

SLR Magic Just Released the Perfect Wide Angle Cine Prime for the Panasonic GH4

Despite the nearly universal praise for the Panasonic GH4, many people still can't get over the small micro 4/3 sensor. "The crop factor is too high," they say. "You just can't get extreme wide shots!" Hong Kong-based lens manufacturer SLR Magic begs to differ. Their new 10mm T/2.1 HyperPrime might just be the perfect wide angle companion for the GH4.

SLR Magic is already well known for their series of HyperPrime lenses, all of which offer stupidly fast maximum apertures, excellent optical performance, and reasonable pricing. They have also offered cine variations on most of their lenses, which feature de-clicked apertures, longer focus throw distances, and integrated focus/iris rings. Their newest offering, the 10mm T/2.1 HyperPrime CINE is not only one of the fastest wide angle lenses currently available for the Micro 4/3 format, but it pairs extremely well with the Panasonic GH4, as can be seen in this beautiful video from Seb Farges

So here's all of the technical jive that you'd want to know about the new SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 10mm T2.1:

SLR Magic 10mm HyperPrime CINE
  • Optical design: 13 elements in 12 groups
  • Distance range: 0.20m to ∞, combined scale meter/feet
  • Aperture: Manually controlled diaphragm, 11 aperture blades, Lowest value 16
  • Bayonet: Micro four thirds
  • Filter Mount: Internal thread for 77mm filter; filter mount does not rotate.
  • Surface Finish: Black anodized
  • Dimensions: Length to bayonet mount approx. 79.45mm (approx. 3.12in)
  • Largest diameter: approx. 80.00mm (approx. 3.14in)
  • Weight: approx. 420g (approx. 14.8oz)

With a lens this fast, you can get some incredibly shallow depth of field, which is surprising considering the 10mm focal length. With the fast aperture, however, it becomes necessary to have a conversation about neutral density filtration, something which most lenses this wide have trouble with. Luckily, SLR Magic is also introducing a brand new variable ND filter with 77mm threading that works beautifully with the 10mm HyperPrime.

The SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 10mm T2.1 will have a suggested retail price of $799, and the Variable ND will have a suggested retail price of $179. Both should be available and shipping at end of October.

Not exactly a fan of the content (http://www.mtv.com/news/1837578/why-you-should-not-wear-headdresses/), the video and lens look wonderful.

September 5, 2014 at 1:50PM

Alex Smith
Documentary/Cinematographer

Good lord MTV? The naked dating people? The jersey shore? 16 and pregnant is worried about offending anyone? That's the problem with the PC police they ruined it for the midgets and now they're trying to ruin the Native Americans. It's a million dollar industry they have making native costumes for the white man. Don't ruin it for them too bro

September 5, 2014 at 5:49PM

Anthony F. Marino III
produce shoot edit

Native American weighing in here. Totally not offended / don't care. She might as well be wearing Air-Jordans.

September 5, 2014 at 8:25PM

Derik Savage
Producer / Director / Editor / Camera / Colorist / Audio Engineer / Sales / Marketing

I could have linked to plenty of websites. I'm sure there are plenty of people who might not be offended by it, that doesn't change anything.

September 5, 2014 at 11:46PM

Alex Smith
Documentary/Cinematographer

As a member of a federally recognized tribe in California who has danced in ceremonies. That picture is in extremely poor taste. A headdress is an honor to wear and the person who wears a headdress must be prepared spiritually or risk bringing bad medicine down.

This is the time of year that my tribe does it's sacred dances so seeing another tribes headdress displayed as just a colorful hat is offensive to me and to anyone who participates in tribal ceremonies.

Can this site please focus on the art of filmmaking and stop doing something that is offensive to a people in the name of "art."

September 6, 2014 at 12:52AM, Edited September 6, 12:52AM

George Nelson
Director / Cinematographer

Personally, I think there are more important things to worry about in this world other than a tacky souvenir headdress - after all, ISIL just beheaded a lebanese 20 yr old. Minor offenses occur every day (both personal and cultural), and it doesn't always mean someone was deliberatly trying to do that. This world is a tough, dangerous place - there is only an attempt at civilization - it has not been achieved in any real sense or there would be no starvation in the world - after all there's plenty for everyone, but people aren't getting it, now are they? Save your energy for when it really matters - such as when someone is being assaulted or attacked - you have to pick your battles, or you will wear out fast. A thick skin helps too -

September 6, 2014 at 10:44PM

Ed Wright
Director, DP, Writer

Your argument in this debate is not valid. You committed a "Red Herring" logic fallacy.

September 7, 2014 at 9:57PM

George Nelson
Director / Cinematographer

George, I see you have an excellent intellect - now try try for a heart that feels something. You know damn well what I'm talking about....:)

September 8, 2014 at 5:03PM

Ed Wright
Director, DP, Writer

That's an Ad Hominem. Attacking my character to undermine my argument. Your point is still not valid.

September 9, 2014 at 3:49PM

George Nelson
Director / Cinematographer

Ok, I'm Dr. McCoy arguing with your Mr. Spock - we may never understand each other. But I'll try to explain.
First, what annoyed me about the original comment is political correctness. A commentator disapproved of the filmmaker's work because his actress put on a cheap Native American headdress replica. This means we must all carefully edit the content we produce so that we never run the risk of unintentionally offending anyone. But that's impossible! Can any one person know all the things that could offend someone else? And could we make anything of value when held to such constraints? Indeed, some films must show very offensive acts in order to condemn them.

Second, I get it George. It's the suggestion of a sacred headdress being defiled that offends you. But you're not alone. My values (and what I hold sacred) are violated on a daily basis by this indifferent world. I can complain about plenty right now - but I came here to escape from all that...to enjoy film...Instead, you (and Alex) bring all your pain, politics and offense in here and dump on another filmmaker...I can do that too...but I choose not to...man up, my friends...that's all I'm saying. If I can take this cruel world, so can you!

September 10, 2014 at 2:20AM

Ed Wright
Director, DP, Writer

The reason I went into filmmaking was my experiences with internalized and externalized racism and I want to help do something about it. If you feel that your rights are violated then you should do something about that, or stop complaining that other people trying to make a difference.

I'm an OEF OIF veteran (GI Bill for film school) and there is always going to be strife in the world due to hate, politics, and racism. Perhaps though understanding of another person's culture we can help prevent some of the anger and conflict.

If you want to live in your privilege then ignore what myself and other people are talking about because our message is not for you.

Live long and prosper,
George

September 10, 2014 at 11:53PM

George Nelson
Director / Cinematographer

If you already own wide lenses for Nikon or Canon mounts, a speed booster would be less expensive and a better investment IMO. My Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is now an f/2.0 lens with the speed booster (not sure what the T rating would be).

September 5, 2014 at 2:04PM

Fahnon Bennett
Director/DP

Am I the only not impressed at all by this footage ?

Also Olympus has a great 12mm f2.0 for about the same price... so I'm not sure how "perfect" this wide angle lens is :/

I guess if you want to go extra large you can get a Pana zoom 7-14mm, and if you're looking for the shallow dof, maybe the speedbooster is a better option...

But that's just my thought.

September 5, 2014 at 2:14PM

Personally I`m good with my Rokinon 7.5mm f3.5 (I don`t mind the aperture, still getting what I want). If I would get an extra wide lens I would get Rokinon 12mm f.2.2 with speedbooster. Still, I haven`t tried a SLR Magic lens u.u

PD: Not impressed with the footage neither :P

September 5, 2014 at 3:32PM

Amaury Salas
Director, Director of Photography, Colorist.

You can only get the Rokinon 12mm in MFT, EF-M, or Sony E mount - none of which are compatible with Speedbooster. I have the 12mm in MFT mount, and for cinema applications, I can't imagine ever needing anything wider.

September 5, 2014 at 10:54PM

Brynn Sankey
Filmmaker

Certainly, almost no use for cinema applications. But in fact there is all this wide angle lenses from Rokinon for EF-M Mount (http://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-Compact-System-Cameras-RK12M-M/dp/B00JD4TA...), but are regular and not cine lenses (:

September 6, 2014 at 5:20PM

Amaury Salas
Director, Director of Photography, Colorist.

Yes, but an EF-M mount won't work with a speedbooster, isn't that what you were wanting to do with it?

September 6, 2014 at 10:39PM

Brynn Sankey
Filmmaker

Eaaaaasy on the Hipster Headress, there guys.
I am a big fan of this site, and also a big fan of respect to Native American culture.
You should probably change up that picture. Might as well be someone in blackface.

September 5, 2014 at 2:20PM

I bet you have a maori tattoo.

You do realize No Film School didn't shoot this, right?

September 5, 2014 at 3:13PM

Just because they didn't shoot it doesn't mean they can't be sensitive to the subject matter.

September 5, 2014 at 3:47PM

Alex Smith
Documentary/Cinematographer

The uncredited photo is Seb's. He shot the video and lives in Southern France.

September 5, 2014 at 3:45PM

Charlie K

What? In Santa Fe new Mexico and across all the plains Native Americans sell all kinds of this stuff...they make and sell the shoes, belts, saddles, drums and even headdresses. Next time I'm in a Native American Casio I wont pay the $25 bucks to have my picture taken with an authentic headress.

September 5, 2014 at 5:44PM

Anthony F. Marino III
produce shoot edit

I've used a Nikon 14 with the Metabones Speedbooster and GH4 combo. That worked great.

However, I'm not a huge fan of the image that camera makes. Tried it for a week with tons of great glass and just wasn't impressed. Probably won't use it again.

September 5, 2014 at 2:24PM

Josh Paul
Most often DP, Direct or Gaff

Hello Josh,

I'm curious, what didn't you like about the GH4? I heard it look pretty video-ish. Thanks!

September 5, 2014 at 7:01PM

Samuel Zerbato
Aspiring Filmmaker / DP

Straight out of the box, it will look video-ish. But the great thing about the GH4 is that it allows for a lot of internal adjustments - for one thing, you can turn down the sharpness for a much softer film look while retaining clarity. These settings are called "picture profiles" and one of the most popular has been developed by James Miller which you can see here: http://vimeo.com/95589923
You can leave the profile as it is, or grade it in post later.

Here is an example of someone tweaking Miller's profile to get even more out of the camera: http://vimeo.com/95721024 - really great looking stuff.

September 6, 2014 at 10:11PM

Ed Wright
Director, DP, Writer

Hi Ed,

Thanks a lot for the insight, James Miller's picture profile really does make the GH4 footage shine. Definitely something to keep in mind.

September 8, 2014 at 12:23PM

Samuel Zerbato
Aspiring Filmmaker / DP

As an admitted GH4 fanboy (yuck) I'm cheerfully accusing you of not trying hard enough - it's not about the glass, it's all about the internal adjustments (picture profiles). Check out out these internal tweaks http://vimeo.com/95721024 - would these make a difference?

September 6, 2014 at 10:26PM

Ed Wright
Director, DP, Writer

Did you try the cinema-like profiles and tweak the settings? This is where the GH4 is really versatile. Right out of the box you will just get a default video like image however.

September 8, 2014 at 6:27PM, Edited September 8, 6:27PM

Erwin Hartsuiker
CineVideo-NL videographer

"IF" you could put this 10mm on a full frame camera what size would it be? Boosted by .6? I know crop factors are holy territory atm, but just for interest sake. :)

September 5, 2014 at 3:36PM, Edited September 5, 3:36PM

Rean Combrinck
Film Maker

A 10mm on a full frame camera would be 10mm. No negative crop factor. A 10mm on a GH4 in 4K mode is ~23mm.

September 5, 2014 at 10:56PM

Brynn Sankey
Filmmaker

Looks cool. I love how the other SLR Magic lenses look on my GH3. They have a distinctive look to them. The GH cameras have a clinically sharp and neutral image, so when you match them up with modern Canon or Nikon glass which is also designed to be clinically sharp, it doesn't look very good. But get some vintage glass or SLR Magic / Voigtlander M43 and it looks great.

September 5, 2014 at 5:13PM

Frank

its a little too late since i moved on to bigger camera. i was still pretty happy with the 12mm m43 for my gh2 back in the days tho

September 5, 2014 at 10:12PM

Kazu Okuda
Filmmaker

I like Seb's tests, a lot of test usually involve the regular locked off tripod shots of landscapes, Seb actually tries to make something of it. The lens looks great, the video is great. Another option for film makers.

September 5, 2014 at 10:51PM

Gvickie Xiong
Editor/Cinematographer/Director

For cheaper alternatives, couldn't one consider used 16mm c mount glass? Or would it not cover the GH4's 4K sensor area? Cause there's quite a lot of 10mm lenses out there, being such a popular focal length for shooting 16mm wides. Found this angenieux 10mm 1.8 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ANGENIEUX-10mm-1-8-C-mount-/231324210543?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item35dbff556f&_uhb=1

September 6, 2014 at 12:52AM

Benjamin Chan
Filmmaker / Video Productions

would someone please answer this?

October 31, 2014 at 2:48PM

Douglas Boe
filmmaker

I've got the SLR Magic 12mm and it's a great lens - on both my BMPCC and GH3. If this has similar optics, it'll be a great lens. As a wider option (the 12mm is around a 35mm ff equivalent on the BMPCC) I've also got the Kowa LM8HC 8mm C-Mount (24mm equivalent), which is pretty decent - if a little fiddly - and needs modding for most cameras.

September 6, 2014 at 4:28AM

Alex Richardson
Director

Wonder how this would do on the BM Pocket cam. Have a Tokina 11-16 and use an EF to MFT adapter and it is not wide at all. Thinking of purchasing a Speedbooster but it seems like You need a different speedboster for every camera, is that about right? Or is there a speedbooster that works on the Pocket Camera, BMCC, and the GH4?

September 6, 2014 at 6:17PM

Luna Videography
Videographer

Speedbooster ef to m43 works on all 3. There is also an ef to bmpcc, which widens .58x instead of .71x and it brigthens 1 3/4 stops instead of 1.

September 6, 2014 at 10:50PM

Benjamin Chan
Filmmaker / Video Productions

Well thank you, I will have to check that one out.

September 10, 2014 at 5:41PM

Luna Videography
Videographer

Not that impressed with the footage (it's in 4K - you'd think they'd stabilize it). I'd be curious to compare the field of view and DOF with my Rokinon 14mm open at t/3.1 with my Metabones Speedbooster (EF-MFT). I would imagine they'd be quite similar.

September 6, 2014 at 6:45PM, Edited September 6, 6:45PM

Valentina Vee
Writer/Director/Editor/Photographer

This footage is absolutely gorgeous! As a brand new GH4 owner, I'm really glad to see fast & wide Micro Four Thirds lenses without being extremely unaffordable. That said, however, I already own the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 and have ordered a Metabones Speedbooster. Considering the ~1.5x crop with the speedbooster (along with the extra light) using the Tokina around 13-14mm would be very similar in length to the 10mm SLR Magic lens.
I'd love to see some comparisons between the two, and see if it's really worth getting considering my current kit.

October 28, 2014 at 9:48PM