September 12, 2014

Sony FS7: New Super 35mm E-Mount Camera with Internal 4K Up to 60FPS

Sony FS7 with 28-135mm F/4

At the IBC show this morning, Sony announced a brand new Super 35mm E-mount camera called the PXW-FS7

This camera was actually leaked in some previous photos and rumors, and as it turns out, all of the rumors we had reported previously were completely true (except for it replacing the FS700).

[Update]: Here is the launch video from Sony:

Here is our first look at the PXW-FS7, courtesy of the good folks at cinema5D (here is Sony's press release and brochure):

And the specs:

• Super 35mm Sensor
  • UHD 3840 x 2160 at launch (DCI 4K is planned for early 2015)
  • Dynamic Range: 14 Stops
  • Base Sensitivity: ISO 2000
  • Internal 4K XAVC 10-bit 4:2:2 (Intra/Long GOP) up to 60fps
  • 1080p up to 180fps
  • MPEG HD, 4:2:2, 50 Mbps (HD only)
  • Apple ProRes (with future upgrade and XDCA-FS7 extension unit)
  • 12-bit 4K or 2K RAW recording (with XDCA-FS7 extension unit and external recorder)
  • Slow & Quick Motion for over-and under-cranking
  • Dual XQD card slots (with dual recording support)
  • Supports S-Gamut3Cine/S-Log 3 encoding
  • Environmentally sealed electronics
  • Wireless operation with CBK-WA100, sold separately
  • Built-In ND Filters
  • Sony BP-U Batteries
  • Availability: October 2014 (XDCA-FS7 Extension Unit, VCT-FS7 15mm Rod System Available in December)
  • Price: $8,000 with EVF and Hand Grip (XDCA-FS7 RAW Unit Less Than $2,500, VCT-FS7 15mm Less Than $1,200)

Here is out first footage:

And a BTS video:

As seen in the video above, the XDCA-FS7 extension unit adds all sorts of functionality to the camera, including the ability to record RAW to Convergent Design's Odyssey 7Q recorder (in addition to recording RAW with Sony's solution the way the FS700 does currently). They also introduced a brand new powered zoom lens, a full-frame E-mount 28-135mm f/4, which has optical image stabilization and is going to be available in December and will cost $2,500, and will also be a package available with the camera:

Sony-28-135mm F4

Some prices may change as they are list (though the camera price should be street), but we'll update as we can. Clearly this is a big move for Sony, and while the FS7 needs a few workarounds to get RAW and ProRes, it's a huge step up from the FS700 in a number of ways, and is even a step up from the F5, which does not come with 4K internally and costs far more. It will be interesting to see what Canon is working on as a response to this camera, since this may be the run-and-gun large sensor camera under $10K to beat.

Lord the FS7 final design and features are even way more than I had expected. This truly is the first camera that is better than the C300 in terms of ergonomics, and image quality too if we can assume it will have the F5's image (which it will). This is one of the best camera designs I've seen in years with specs that extend 5-7 years ahead. And it's half the C300/F5 price. What have they done!

It seems Sony just made me 8000$ poorer in 2015. :)

EDIT: "look, Sony has provided a firmware update to the F5 which will enable 4K recording internal" Well that was fast!

September 12, 2014 at 6:01AM

Ebrahim Saadawi
Director, Physician (Radiologist)

Sony is listening.

September 12, 2014 at 6:12AM, Edited September 12, 6:11AM

not listening at all, what we wanted was internal 4k into the a7s, this camera is the reason why it'll never happen

September 12, 2014 at 9:02AM

September 12, 2014 at 9:02AM

I agree but who has been asking for XQD cards? They're my only skepticism on this camera.

September 12, 2014 at 11:31AM

Josh Paul
Most often DP, Direct or Gaff

I just bought an FS700 - was that a huge mistake?! Sony say the FS7 is not a replacement but I'm struggling to see their reasoning here.

September 12, 2014 at 6:39AM

Charlie Johnson
Documentary Filmmaker

I'd say if you waited 2 or 3 months you could have gotten it for much cheaper? so even though its still a great camera, and even if the FS7 isn't a replacement, it was probably still a mistake.

September 12, 2014 at 7:10AM

Riaan Myburgh
DP / COLORIST

Where did you buy it from? If it was really recent, perhaps they will allow you to return it and swap it for a pre-order for a FS7.

September 12, 2014 at 9:26AM

David Peterson
Wedding Cinematographer

Look at it this way, the A7s is practically an FS700, with only added nicer ergonomics and an internal codec. Nothing else. You'll produce the exact same images. The FS700 gains 240P internal over this. I see this logical when you look at it as an FS700 + ergonomic design + XAVC, therefore costing 2-4$ more. They make sense to co-exist, this is just a higher model with a couple more features. The FS700 is still an excellent camera if you don't need the shoulder design.

September 12, 2014 at 9:31AM

Ebrahim Saadawi
Director, Physician (Radiologist)

David Peterson, I assume you mean FS7, not A7s?

Not exactly true... the FS7 has better low light performance, is true 10bit, and is more expandable. Better internal codec (as you said), ProRes/genlock/etc. with an extra $2500, etc., etc. I'd say a significantly better camera. I'd also recommend returning your FS700, Charlie, unless you need the 240fps burst mode.

September 12, 2014 at 3:16PM

Scott Ressler
Director of Photography

Oops, Ebrahim, not David P. Apologies.

September 12, 2014 at 3:17PM

Scott Ressler
Director of Photography

Yes Scott Ressler the FS7 has a better internal codec and better ergonomic design, but remember that they have the exact same sensor, therefore identical low-light performance, and remember that only the internal codec on the FS700 is 8bit, whilst the external output is 12 bit.

The FS7 is a FS700 with a better internal codec (4K at 10bit) and shoulder design, therefore costs a bit more. I see no reason for the current FS700 users to be upset, this is just a higher-end camera with a couple more advantages and a couple more thousand dollars.

September 13, 2014 at 1:16AM

Ebrahim Saadawi
Director, Physician (Radiologist)

There is a huge difference between 8 and 10bit image capture. Especially given that Slog2 and now I guess Slog3 needs so much data available to get your proper color back - its a huge change working in 10bit color space on the FS700, as it will be with the new FS7. There are also no proper audio inputs on an A7S- which for someone like me is a huge selling factor.

September 12, 2014 at 5:29PM

Scott Selman
Content Creator | Filmmaker | Producer

Ebrahim,

It's my understanding that the default minimum iso in log mode on the FS7 is 2500. In my limited experience with the FS700, it wasn't so great past 1600. Perhaps this is due to improved noise suppression circuitry? In any case, I'd love to hear what Adam Wilt or anyone else with experience with the prototype has to say about the usable iso of the FS700.

The internal 10-bit is a huge advantage for me, as is the ProRes and genlock. I stand by my previous message. Plus if Charlie can return the FS700, he'll retain resale value for longer and improve rental rates for longer.

Just my opinion, and I'm not saying that the FS700 isn't a great camera. The fact that Sony is still making it says a lot.

September 13, 2014 at 6:56PM, Edited September 13, 6:56PM

Scott Ressler
Director of Photography

FS700 is still a great camera, and I believe that it has better slow motion capabilities. Could always do RAW to an external recorder.

September 12, 2014 at 4:22PM

Matt Simon
Director, Director of Photography, Editor

The FS700 is awesome! Price just dropped a couple days ago to $5,999!! If you can, return it ASAP and buy it again to save yourself a couple grand. I actually bought one last night. At that price it's a steal and you will definitely not feel bad not getting an FS7. A few things to consider about the FS7 is it won't ship with a battery ($270), no microphone, and the XQD media will be a fortune. I also read somewhere that internal 4K won't be available until 2015 via firmware update, so who really knows. Plus the FS700 has 240fps and FS7 only 180, which is actually a huge difference. You can always add a 7Q or Shogun and be in the same place as the FS7 but with more change in your pocket.

September 20, 2014 at 12:32AM

Kaster Troy
Director, DP, Editor

Thats badass..It almost makes me want to be logical and not buy a RED..

September 12, 2014 at 7:08AM

Riaan Myburgh
DP / COLORIST

> "...and is even a step up from the F5, which does not come with 4K internally and costs far more."

The Sony F5 got a firmware upgrade today to do 4K internally :-) So at least that is some consolation for F5 owners.... but it costs, nearly $1k for the 4K update for the F5!

September 12, 2014 at 7:12AM

David Peterson
Wedding Cinematographer

Does this new camera have the same sensor as the FS700 or the F5? I believe they are all called Exmor sensors but maybe their are tweaks between them.

September 12, 2014 at 8:49AM

I read it is "similar" to the F5. So possibly it is based of the F5?

September 12, 2014 at 9:24AM

David Peterson
Wedding Cinematographer

Sweet camera! I bet those new XQD cards with the 440MB/s write speed will be very expensive. I wish it would just record to SSD. SSD is faster and SO much cheaper.

September 12, 2014 at 9:06AM

Yeah it's a bit worrying.
I hope slower cards like the N series can be used when filming in less demanding format.
Anyone know if it's usually possible with sony?

September 12, 2014 at 9:17AM

According to the girl at the stand today the 128gb versions of the fastest XQD cards was just under 500 euros.

September 12, 2014 at 12:51PM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Animator - Videographer - Motion Tracking

The problem is that SSD's aren't as reliable. This is the problem that Blackmagic faced an why they chose the CFast cards - different SSD's have different speeds and reliability factors and so one size doesn't fit all. Where with standardize XQD or CFast - you might be paying more, but if it carry the proper speed/class rating then you know it will work properly for you. I just did a whole shoot with the BMPC4k and we could barely record RAW because even the best SSD's are just not great at handling it. I would have spent any amount of money needed to have the proper cards on hand to know Id have reliable recording when I needed it!

September 12, 2014 at 5:33PM

Scott Selman
Content Creator | Filmmaker | Producer

this is going to be a really wonderful camera - but before we all salivate - we need to really test it - dynamic range, s log, recording, rolling shutter, skin tones - all that fun stuff. But I am pumped for this!

September 12, 2014 at 9:24AM, Edited September 12, 9:24AM

Ed David
Director of Photography

We already know the image. It's indistinguishable from the FS700 and F5 at 4K. Lovely image indeed.

September 12, 2014 at 9:26AM

Ebrahim Saadawi
Director, Physician (Radiologist)

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY

September 12, 2014 at 9:36AM, Edited September 12, 9:36AM

Caleb Rasak
Camera Operator / AC

The image looks absolutely stunning, I've always been a huge fan of the Sony aesthetic. I just really dislike the E-mount.

September 12, 2014 at 9:50AM, Edited September 12, 9:50AM

Vladimir Druts
Founder & Director at Intangible.co

Why?

September 12, 2014 at 11:07AM

seanmclennan
Story Teller

It's a shame it is not full frame... not that i'm one of those full frame look fanboys, but with that 28-135 lens it would have been really cool thing. Now it is bit too tight to be all rounder. Anyways this camera is good in so many ways and I'm really happy Sony had balls to do it. I can see Canon executives crying about actually having the need to make a camera that is competitive in other aspects too than just having lens compatibility for everyone stepping up from DSLR. Anyways, full frame would have been nice with this 'kit' lens. Apart from that only thing I can complain is that the raw output requires that extra module, this is kinda disappointing compared to FS700. But i'm pretty sure I'll get this one. It's perfect all rounder that can do good quality but is still cheap enough to be used in most of the jobs.

September 12, 2014 at 10:00AM, Edited September 12, 10:00AM

And just to add about the lens.. it looks like the filter diameter is going to be 95mm. This is a shame as I can see many wanting to use this lens with A7S. While it is good with matte boxes and such, this large diameter is going to make it hard to use with Fader ND. Looking at that included sunshade, they could have probably made actual filter ring smaller without causing vignetting.

September 12, 2014 at 10:25AM

I don't think there is a market with professional shooters for a full frame camera because there has never been "full frame" in the film world. 28mm is still 28mm - we just see it the way its used to looking on a s35 sensor. Trust me, I should full frame DSLR all the time, and I love being able to actually get a wide angle shot without an 11mm lens - but I don't think you'll ever see full frame geared towards professionals.

September 12, 2014 at 5:37PM

Scott Selman
Content Creator | Filmmaker | Producer

I said i'm not full frame fanboy. For me S35 is enough as I didnt learn to shoot with 5D. But RED is full frame and it's professional so there is market and the most of new wave videographers did learn with 5D and most of them, seem to quite falsely think that only full frame can deliver cinematic quality. They want videos with super shallow depth of field. So the market is there too, these 5d fanboys would buy it. But what comes to your point of how you see it on S35 is same with me, and seeing it there is too tight beginning point for the for S35 if that is your widest option if you just want to run and gun. So it is shame the camera is paired with this lens because it kinda misses the mark for what this camera was designed for. Either then lens should be wider or the cam had to be full frame to get more useable all round range. Since it is only lens of this type, covering the wide angle is gonna require you to combine with different brand or going with different set of lenses from begin with. Other sony e lenses are trash for video due to their annoying focus system

September 12, 2014 at 9:59PM

Red is not full frame. The latest Dragon sensor is 30,7mm x 15,8mm (full frame sensor in still cameras is 36mm x 24mm).

September 13, 2014 at 6:03AM

Thomas Bazin
Assistant Camera

Yes, sorry Tuomas, RED is not full frame - but it does show you how awesome S35 can be!

September 14, 2014 at 11:47PM

Ed Wright
Director, DP, Writer

I just read on article on a cinematography magazine where the DoP shot a film on F65 and lamented that it wasn't fullframe or not even 4:3 (for anamorphics)

So there are DoP's that are after the fullframe look. An anamorphic s35 is basically fullframe with distortions (area wise)

September 15, 2014 at 7:09AM

Mikko Löppönen
Editor

It amazes me how much the pendulum as swung from Canon to Sony. When the 5D Mark II blew up, anyone and everyone was shooting on Canon DSLR's. As a long time Canon shooter (DSLR's and C100), I'll probably be switching to Sony myself. It's nice to see a company that isn't holding back in terms of features.

September 12, 2014 at 10:17AM, Edited September 12, 10:17AM

Surely the XQD media is at a pro level / pricepoint? It may well be a decisive factor for a potential customer. Probably too expensive for most I'd say... Otherwise, the camera looks fantastic!

September 12, 2014 at 10:25AM

Yemi Sawyerr
Cinematographer

It's the only skepticism I have.

September 12, 2014 at 11:28AM, Edited September 12, 11:28AM

Josh Paul
Most often DP, Direct or Gaff

It is much cheaper than the option SxS. Some people were using XQD cards with SxS reader on their F5s to lower cost. Can't remember how much it was but would expect it to be considerably cheaper as in half price or less. Of course not sure how these new faster XQDs would cost but since the old one were ok with F5, i bet they are ok here too.

September 12, 2014 at 12:29PM

Sony really is at the top of the game right now! Unfortunately, I just bought an FS700 2 months ago! Doh Ah well, I love my cam (w/Odyssey 7Q) and don't see it becoming obsolete any time soon. Out of everything on the FS7...I'm really most jealous about the Slog3.

September 12, 2014 at 11:06AM, Edited September 12, 11:06AM

seanmclennan
Story Teller

Nothing to say that the Slog3 won't trickle down the pipeline... nor do we know what kind of difference there is between 2 and 3. Especially given your setup I don't think there is anything the 7 offers that you can't do with your 700!

September 12, 2014 at 5:38PM

Scott Selman
Content Creator | Filmmaker | Producer

The video looks stunning and the price is on point. I think I might rent it a few times and get a feel for it before actually making the purchase.

September 12, 2014 at 11:42AM

Walter Wallace
Spokesperson/Entrepreneur

Hey Joe, why no post on the new v5 4K internal recording (+ more) for the F5?

September 12, 2014 at 12:04PM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

It's interesting to see how Sony and Blackmagic are going about their new cameras. The latter produced the URSA (similar-ish price range) with the intent for studio users to make use of its large even bulky design. Sony, on the other hand, went for a smaller docu-camera with the exact other user in mind. Ebrahim's comparison to the C300 is quite accurate. A lot of docs are using the C300 with various shoulder rigs, etc. to make it a docu-camera. The FS7 seems to be just that but with the rig included.

September 12, 2014 at 12:06PM, Edited September 12, 12:06PM

Ramon Galvan
Video Producer

Internal 4k, non obtrusive add on to get 12 bit RAW with odyssey or shogun, internal 10 bit 422, fantastic codec, ProRes down the road and it looks like a solid piece of kit. Nice design, easy to handle. Half the cost of the F5... I'm in! Seems like by the time the F5 cycles through we'll be looking at 6k. This will still be a hell of a camera as will the 12bit fs700/7q system for quite sometime.

September 12, 2014 at 12:51PM, Edited September 12, 12:51PM

Anthony F. Marino III
produce shoot edit

where have you read that the shogun will handle the RAW signal?

September 12, 2014 at 5:39PM

Scott Selman
Content Creator | Filmmaker | Producer

Keep in mind that the ProRes only comes when the add-on unit is attached. It is however sent back inside after encoding to save internally, so no recorder necessary.

September 12, 2014 at 6:07PM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Animator - Videographer - Motion Tracking

Not sure why im getting downvoted on this. Prores is listed as one of the positive points of this camera by anthony, but sadly it's not supported by the camera itself - only through a firmware update in addition to having the extra add-on pack attached.

September 15, 2014 at 11:40AM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Animator - Videographer - Motion Tracking

Looks awesome. The flexibility is the biggest selling point. Definitely going to rent this thing, probably going to end up investing in one.

September 12, 2014 at 1:04PM, Edited September 12, 1:04PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

Been loving my A7S, I wonder if the XDCA recording module will work with it? And is that new lens full frame compatible? It's finally time to dump my f3 lol.

September 12, 2014 at 1:09PM

This cam seems awesome. It's a bit more expensive to record raw with this camera though though according to what it says you need the XDCA-FS7(<$2,500) in addition to the cost of the external recorder. With the FS700, it goes straight from cam to the 7Q. The 7Q now has 4k pro res but to use it with this cam, again you need the XDCA-FS7 BUT with that, it allows internal pro res recording which then could possibly negate the 7Q to just a really nice monitor lol. This will be a very interesting configuration for some shooters. The most efficient setup could be a bit of a conundrum.

September 12, 2014 at 1:40PM, Edited September 12, 1:40PM

Dantly Wyatt
Musical Comedy & Content Creator.

It looks like a great VIDEO camera, just like the fs700. Given the option I wouldn't use it for any sort of dramatic piece though.

September 12, 2014 at 4:45PM, Edited September 12, 4:45PM

Adrian Wong-Ken
DP/Director/Producer

Im not quite sure what that means... I don't think a camera makes something dramatic - the talent behind and in front of the camera makes it dramatic. A camera is just a tool and dramatic work has been captured on far less before Im sure.

September 12, 2014 at 5:41PM

Scott Selman
Content Creator | Filmmaker | Producer

some useful info (in US dollars based mostly on B&H prices:

Sony PXW-FS7 w/ E-mount, pistol grip, EVF (Oct.): $8000-ish

Sony XDCA-FS7 adapter for V-mount, ProRes, genlock, 3G-SDI Raw out (Dec.): $2500-ish

VCT-FS7 baseplate for 15mm rods and shoulder pad: $1200-ish

XQD media (faster needed?): Sony N 125MB/s 64GB $189.95, Sony S 180MB/s 64GB $298.95

future XQD media (accdng. to Sony reps) 400MB/s: 128GB under 500euros ($647.58US 9/14)

Lexar card reader for XQD (USB 3.0): $39.95

Sony BP-FL75 V-lock battery: $509.95

Sony BP-U battery: BP-U90 85Wh $425, BP-U60 56 Wh $269.95, Switronix J65 $199.00

Sony HXR-IFR3 interface for AXSR5: $2200.00

Sony AXSR5 recorder for Raw: $5350.00

AXS media A-series for AXSR5 recorder : 512GB $1800.00, 1TB $3600.00

Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q: $2295.00

unlock option for Odyssey 7Q: probably same as FS700? $795.00

media for Odyssey 7Q: 256GB SSD $395, 512GB SSD $795.00

Sony FE PZ 28-135mm f/4 G OSS kit lens (dec.): $2500-ish

Zeiss E-mount cinema primes (dec. 31): Loxia 35/f2 $1299, Loxia 50/f2 $949

Data rates (to determine memory card capacities):

MPEG-2 HD (1080 & 720) - (all speeds) 50Mb/s

XAVC HD (1080) Intra 10-bit 4:2:2: 23.98p - 95Mb/s, 59.94p - 38Mb/s (why is 24 higher than 60?)

XAVC HD (1080) Long 10-bit 4:2:2: 23.98p - 120Mb/s or 170Mb/s, 59.94p - 120Mb/s or 170Mb/s

XAVC 4K (UHD) Intra 4:2:2 10-bit - 23.98p - 240Mb/s, 59.94p - 600Mb/s

XAVC 4K (UHD) Long 4:2:0 8-bit - 23.98p - 100Mb/s, 59.94p - 150Mb/s

ProRes 4:2:2 HQ 10-bit: 23.984p - 176Mb/s, 29.97p - 220Mb/s

AXSR5 4K (UHD) Raw 12-bit: 23.98p - 240Mb/s, 59.94p - 600Mb/s

Odyssey 7Q 4K (UHD) 12-bit Cinema DNG: 23.984p - 170Mb/s, 59.94p - 426Mb/s (?)

September 12, 2014 at 5:04PM

Scott Ressler
Director of Photography

So the FS7 with the Odyssey 7Q and 2 of each type of memory card and 2 of each battery (no lenses), about $19,586 US.

September 12, 2014 at 5:11PM

Scott Ressler
Director of Photography

My Odyssey 7Q data rates were completely wrong... They're MUCH higher. Here's the corrected data:

Odyssey 7Q 4K (UHD) 12-bit Cinema DNG: 23.984p - 2472Mb/s, 59.94p - 6180Mb/s
Odyssey 7Q 2K 12-bit Cinema DNG: 120fps - 6180Mb/s

September 12, 2014 at 6:14PM

Scott Ressler
Director of Photography

I've had a prototype since late Tuesday, and I'm posting my findings at . The first part is up now (more pix to be added later today), and an E-mount servo zoom just showed up along with the expansion unit, so I'll be looking at those over the next few days.

The TL;DR version: F5-like sensor and look; 14 stops DR in S-Log3; full-res UHD and HD 1-60 fps with binned HD 72-180fps (still technically full-res but a bit coarser with more aliasing). Menus and features are F5-like; the side panel is more NEX/HXR Handycam-like. Really sweet design (think Kinetta plus Knucklebunny), but a few things still need a bit of tweaking for the *perfect* handheld experience.

September 12, 2014 at 7:28PM, Edited September 12, 7:28PM

Adam Wilt

(Sorry, the comment code ate my URL: dvinfo.net. The 1st part is at http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquisition/sonyxdcam/first-look-sony-pxw-...)

September 12, 2014 at 7:31PM

Adam Wilt

This is my next camera for wedding cinematography, almost bit the bullet with 3 F5's 2 months ago... lucky me!

September 12, 2014 at 9:40PM, Edited September 12, 9:40PM

Isaac Alonzo
Photographer / Cinematographer

I was looking at the C100, now I'm interested in this camera, although the price of media and batteries are going to add up to another price range than the C100. I am very interested to see what Canon's next cameras will be like, call them the C200 and C400 haha.

September 12, 2014 at 9:48PM

Peter Staubs
Camera Assistant

Honestly I was interested in the C100 low light performance but right now I am more keen to put money in something that can record 4k and has proper ergonomics. The media is more expensive but also sturdy so there's that, once more manufacturers start jumping into XQD the price is going down. Thing is SD cards are used in literally everything so why they are dirt cheap.

The batteries are going to be expensive but I'd rather get a big battery and not worry about running out of juice in the middle of a wedding ceremony or having to charge 3 or 4 batteries per dSLR. Seriously considering the V-mount plate to use Anton Bauer big batteries and shoot non-stop in a tripod during ceremony in some cameras. Adding the shoulder POV is going to be refreshing in a market where everybody shoots from below eye level (more like mouth level) in a video monopod. Is going to be really easy dive into the dance floor later at night and less cumbersome than the monopod rig.

September 12, 2014 at 11:49PM

Isaac Alonzo
Photographer / Cinematographer

*heavy breathing*

September 12, 2014 at 11:06PM, Edited September 12, 11:06PM

Yusuf Amin
Director, Writer, Editor.

PL mount?

September 13, 2014 at 2:31AM

Ed Jones

Ergonomics! Exciting! :D (Oh, and all the other stats are nice too.)

September 13, 2014 at 8:31AM

Kevin Erhard
Content Strategy

Are there any reliable EF mount adapters that work with the electronic aperture?

September 13, 2014 at 11:53AM, Edited September 13, 11:53AM

Vladimir Druts
Founder & Director at Intangible.co

I just think this is gonna be a very fun camera to shoot with. Especially being able to access so manny controls and settings from the right hand grip. I'd probably get te powered zoom if I did buy this camera although f4 might be the deal breaker there. Although if the low light is good then it would probably be ok in most situations. In my dreams they would make it 24-120 f2.8 and sharp as hell with nice bokah that would be nice.

September 14, 2014 at 3:45PM

Peter Staubs
Camera Assistant

Wow - this may be the camera I was hoping the Cion would be! And for a lower price point. Trouble with the Cion is that it has the Blackmagic 4K Cinema camera's sensor - which isn't good in low light and may even have some artifacting problems (hopefully they've been cleared up by now) - but still, this cam looks like the winner to me. SONY has more money for better research and development - AJA and Blackmagic can't quite compete on their level, but I'm still glad they're in the game - it keeps everyone on their toes and we get better (and cheaper) cameras.

September 14, 2014 at 11:54PM

Ed Wright
Director, DP, Writer

XQD are not expensive.

They are much cheaper than SxS

September 15, 2014 at 1:41AM

Imnusg

Someone earlier mentioned that you'll need a new variety of XQD, 400Mb/s, which will likely run around $600US for a 128GB card.

September 15, 2014 at 11:58PM

Scott Ressler
Director of Photography

Sorry, MByte, not Mbit.

September 15, 2014 at 11:59PM

Scott Ressler
Director of Photography

Test it before believing stuff. FS7 max is 60 Mbits per second. You shouldn't need 400 MB /s card for that. I bet it works fine with 100 MB /s cards

September 16, 2014 at 3:42AM

Imnusg

60Mb/s in 1080, up to 600Mb/s in XAVC 4K Intra at 59.94p. Even the ProRes HQ (with the XDCA-FS7) at 1080 is 220Mb/s.

September 16, 2014 at 1:07PM

Scott Ressler
Director of Photography

600Mb/s on second thought doesn't seem likely. But there are some codecs that go up to 170Mb/s on the FS7.

September 16, 2014 at 1:31PM, Edited September 16, 1:31PM

Scott Ressler
Director of Photography

It was typo of course. I meant 600 Mb/s. You don't need 400 MB/s cards for that. 600 Mb/s only needs 75 MB/s cards. If safety margin is required, S series cards that does 160 MB/s should be more than enough.

September 17, 2014 at 3:00AM

Imnusg

YES. I've been looking to pull the trigger on a C300, but this may be the new option instead.

September 15, 2014 at 2:45PM, Edited September 15, 2:44PM

Philip Bradley
DP | Editor

Thumbs up Sony..

September 15, 2014 at 5:50PM, Edited September 15, 5:50PM

Do you think this would be a good camera to invest in? The Canon C series also appeals to me.

September 16, 2014 at 9:59PM, Edited September 16, 9:58PM

Lensroam Team
Editor / DP / Director

Was just about to buy a C100.... But now I know what I will get instead.

September 17, 2014 at 4:49AM

Viktor Ragnemar
Director/Cinematographer

You could get a c100, extra batteries, an atomos blade, some canon lenses and a decent tripod for $10,000 to get this camera to work out of the box will be at least $12,000 with that kit lens and extra batts and cards.

I am not prepared to buy at this point with so much changing, I am interested in both the C100, FS7 and any similar cameras that are released in the next year.

I would say that if 4k and slo-mo is not important to you(it's not very important to me, sure I'd love to use it if I had it.) the C100 is the better choice as in image quality, usability and value. The FS7 looks to have better ergonomics but the c100 is no slouch in that department.

September 18, 2014 at 1:31PM

Peter Staubs
Camera Assistant

For the first time I am actually excited by a fresh approach to camera design and concept. This looks great and fits a lot of criteria I was trying to achieve. Other then this I was looking at the GH4, which I will still properly get for the aerial and underwater stuff. But this camera out of the box is fantastic. Looking forward to getting a feel for it when they finally reach NZ. I did look and the Black Magic USAR but with their record…… Go SONY.

September 19, 2014 at 5:37PM

Warren Elliott
Director. Underwater Camera op.

Ehi I just saw your video , the one shot at the sony FS7 and I'm not amazed by the camera, but by your video ! Can you tell me how you shot it? sony a7s, lenses?settings?color correction?
my compliments
paolo

December 11, 2014 at 2:45PM, Edited December 11, 2:45PM

paolo borgato
director

How to get the best from your Sony Fs7 - Film Camera Blog

February 5, 2017 at 6:42AM

Camaleon Cinema Services SL
Camera , Lighting & Grip House Rental. SPAIN

Videolinea.com has the cheapest Sony pxw fs7 on the market, check it out!

June 13, 2017 at 3:54AM, Edited June 13, 3:54AM