October 6, 2014

Hey Audio Noobs! This Video Will Have You Editing Sound like a Pro in No Time

We've talked about the history as well as the fundamentals of the science and engineering of sound, and now it's time to get into the common tools utilized when creating and editing it.

You might be a rockstar at editing video footage in your NLE of choice, but if you're like me and you get a little anxious every time you look at all of the options in audio, then this video is definitely for you. This is the third installment of Filmmaker IQ's incredibly informational and accessible series, and host John P. Hess walks you through several basic effects, like equalizers, compressors, and noise reduction to give you a better understanding of how to work with audio in post-production.

Probably one of the first audio effects I ever tried to create was one that mimicked what a voice sounds like on the other end of a phone, which, thanks to my purile, teenage brain, was a complicated, and ultimately unfruitful endeavor. Years later, while editing the audio for a short film I worked on in college, I combed the internet for tutorials on how to make one of my tracks sound like it was coming from an old radio from the 1940s. I couldn't replicate my process if I tried, but most of that is due to the fact that I didn't learn the basics of 1.) the science of sound, and 2.) how to edit it using the tools professionals use in their work -- which is what Filmmaker IQ is offering to teach us in their 6-part series.

Of course, watching a 15-minute video won't automatically make you Walter Murch, but it'll certainly familiarize you with the techniques and tools that will set you on the path toward professional sound editing/design.

Again, if you've missed the first two installments, it might do your brain some good to start from the beginning to lay a solid foundation. Check out our coverage below:

Renee, love you kitty!

Please can we also haz a lead-in to this article "Hey Audio Noobs! This Video Will Have You Recording Sound like a Pro in No Time"?

I have a recorder, booms, shotguns, and lavs, and I need mad skillz to ensure my audio aint killin the production. I know the theory, etc., but I always pull my hair out when I review the audio I recorded.

Help! <3

October 6, 2014 at 8:54PM

Alex Zakrividoroga
Director

Hey Alex,

This is the fourth instalment of FilmmakerIQ's definitive guide to audio for film.

You can view the rest of the series here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZXQp_XoNBBOe06xDRJgOPUadRTWnhzRt

October 6, 2014 at 10:21PM

Rode, thanks!

Do you guys have anything more practical?

I mean I have 'nuf academia knowledge to give the same lesson; what I dont have is the practical experience of working the audio.

Can you guys put together a lesson starting with the most common setting the student film directors deal with -- a bare wall apartment?

I want to benchmark my results against the pros'. Much love <3

October 6, 2014 at 10:51PM

Alex Zakrividoroga
Director

V,

"Puerile" means childishly silly or trivial. In the words of the great philosopher, Inigo Montoya, "I don't think it means what you think it means."

"Callow" is probably the better choice.

October 6, 2014 at 11:28PM

Well that was disappointing. There were a few useful tidbits, but by and large it was mostly just terminology which was pointless unless you're planning on becoming an audio engineer. Even adjusting his audio accordingly as he described the effects would have been much more helpful than this.

October 7, 2014 at 4:52AM

Nick Brown
Filmmaker/Putz

I found his first 3 installments to be pretty useful. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZXQp_XoNBBOe06xDRJgOPUadRTWnhzRt

Nothing better than a walkthrough tutorial, but playing around with the tools mentioned with something you've recorded is the best way to find out what works best.

October 8, 2014 at 10:10AM

Dre Kahmeyer
Director

Thanks Rode and Filmschool.

October 7, 2014 at 6:02AM

Ragüel Cremades
Film producer and director

This was pretty awesome!
You guys collect the best film articles on the web <3 & in a beautiful layout too!

thanks!