November 20, 2014

Atomos Shogun Will Begin Shipping in November & Support Sony FS700 4K RAW

The 7" 1080p Atomos Shogun is a monitor/recorder capable of recording up to 4K through HDMI 2.0 or 12G-SDI, but we're now learning that it will be able to capture 4K RAW from the Sony FS700.

The only other portable recorder capable of doing so right now is the Odyssey 7Q from Convergent Design. Newsshooter is on the floor at Inter BEE in Tokyo, and they talked with Atomos CEO Jeromy Young:

As a reminder, here are the specs:

• 1920x1200 IPS Touchscreen Display
  • Records 4K (3840x2160) up to 30 fps
  • Records 1080p up to 120 fps
  • ProRes and DNxHD 10-Bit, 4:2:2 Encoding
  • Uncompressed Cinema DNG Raw 4K Support
  • UHD 4K-Capable HDMI Input
  • 12G-SDI Input and Loop-Output
  • Stores to Non-proprietary Single or RAID HDDs or SSDs
  • Rec. 709 Calibrated with 3D LUT Support
  • XLR Audio LEMO Breakout Cable Included
  • Availability: December 2014
  • Price: $2,000

The screen on the Shogun is very nice, and as far as 1080p screens go, there is nothing in this price range that also doubles as a recorder, either for high-quality ProRes files or for much smaller ProRes proxies from cameras that shoot RAW internally, like Blackmagic, RED, or even ALEXA XT. 4K ProRes would be fantastic for a camera like the FS700, but we'll have to wait and see if they can implement it. If you've got an a7S, the Shogun is your best bet for recording 4K, so I'm sure many are eager to start getting much higher quality files out of that low-light monster camera.

B&H states that the recorder will be available starting in December, so I would expect it to be in many people's hands by the end of this year.

Does it mean capture 4K RAW and record it in the RAW format, or does it capture 4K RAW and does the debayer and record into a different format? or... is it still unclear yet?

November 20, 2014 at 9:34PM, Edited November 20, 9:34PM

Mida Chu
independent filmmaker

"Records 1080p up to 120 fps"

Sorry for asking a dumb question, but if I connect the Shogun to a source which can't by itself record at 1080p/120fps (eg a Canon C300), will I be able to record at the higher frame rate?

November 20, 2014 at 11:24PM

Manning Bartlett
Children's Television producer

In a word, no. If it can overcrank in-camera it cant put it out either. But you will obviously be able to record at a higher bit rate in ProRes then the C300 offers internally. Im not sure if the C300 even outputs a 10 bit signal but Im sure someone else can answer that.

November 21, 2014 at 12:10AM

Bill Thomas
DP

Indeed, the C300 only outputs 8 bit via HD-SDI ! (which is a shame since HD-SDI standard is technically supposed to be 422 10 bit...)

November 21, 2014 at 7:55AM

Thomas Bazin
Assistant Camera

I don't think so. I think it means if your camera so happens to be able to output 1080p 120fps, then this device can handle it.

November 21, 2014 at 12:34AM

Miguel Sotto
Cinematographer

I don't think so. I think it means if you camera so happens to be able to output 1080p 120 fps, this device can handle it.

November 21, 2014 at 12:35AM

Miguel Sotto
Cinematographer

Negative:)

November 21, 2014 at 1:21AM

Riaan Myburgh
DP / COLORIST

I'm affraid that's not how this works, mate :)
You can record as fast as you want, but if the sensor only spits out 30 fps its gonna record 30 fps (or 4 times the same frame, each frame, at 120 fps?)

November 21, 2014 at 4:10AM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Animator - Videographer - Motion Tracking

CANON CANON CANON!!! Here is where it will become interesting on Canons next release of their c300. My guess is the price is going to be well over $10,000 yet I believe they will only offer 1080 120fps max. The criticism they'll probably receive is the SONY FS700 offered 2K@240fps & the price was less expensive when it came out, plus they offered multiple firmware updates. The 4K feature probably won't be a true RAW format with SSD drives. Will they change the HUD so the data is around the image & not on the image. Will the waveform be able to show up on an external monitor? If the body of their new c300 will remain the same will they go the way of RED & offer an upgrade solution? Everything I'm saying is pure speculation.

November 21, 2014 at 7:30PM

Any ideas on whether or not they can add faster framerates at 4k? We start seeing 4k 60fps cameras already. It will probably be not too long before people want a 4k xxfps recorder out there, where X is more than 30.

Other than that,...this little machine is lovely!

November 21, 2014 at 4:13AM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Animator - Videographer - Motion Tracking

The Odyssey 7Q can already do 4K RAW continuously at 60fps and up to 120fps in bursts. I have it for my FS700 but at the moment mostly use the 2K 240fps RAW mode when I need slow mo.

This recorder looks great and it's a good thing that it uses non proprietary media (that is one shitty thing with the Odyssey). The only thing I am afraid is the build. The Odyssey is built like a tank. I just put it through 2 weeks of Amazon jungle filming an ultra-marathon deep in the jungle. Sweat, dust, humidity, mud... no problem.

Now if the Odyssey does not get 4K on HDMI, the Shogun might be the only option for many camera owners. Would like to try it someday...

November 21, 2014 at 6:33AM

Haroun Souirji
Director / DP and Producer

Do someone know if the Atoms Shogun can also record the C4K (4096x2160) of the GH4 ?
In the specs they only talk about the UHD (3840x2160).

November 21, 2014 at 11:13AM, Edited November 21, 11:13AM

Frederic Monpierre
Filmmaker / Editor

If they support FS700 raw, will they also support FS7 raw?

November 21, 2014 at 2:55PM

Alex Munoz
Director / Photographer

I really like Atomos' CEO - his honesty in regards to delays, problems and capabilities is refreshing. I'm psyched to get my pre-ordered Shogun for my A7s.

November 22, 2014 at 1:25AM, Edited November 22, 1:25AM

Steven Huber
Director of Photography

Take my money Atomos! The development they made is mind-blowing, the first Atomos that I bought when they started had a horrible panel but now ...

November 23, 2014 at 10:35AM