HP Joins the 5K Game with New 27" Monitor

HP Z27q 5K Monitor with Laptop
HP has now joined Apple and Dell with their own 27" 5K monitor.

While Apple's is an all-in-one, those from Dell and HP are standalone monitors with a resolution of 5120 x 2880. HP also introduced a few other monitors at CES, including two new 4K displays. Here's what's new that you might find relevant:

HP Z27q 5K Monitor

HP Z27q

• Screen: 27" IPS w/LED backlight, 5120 x 2880, 10-bit & 99-percent Adobe RGB Gamut
  • Ports: Four USB 3.0, Two DisplayPort 1.2
  • Response Time: 8ms
  • Release Date: March 2015
  • Price: $1,300
HP Z27s 4K Monitor

HP Z27s

• Screen:  27” IPS w/LED backlight, 3840 x 2160, 10-bit 60hz
  • Ports: 4 USB 3.0, 1 HDMI 1.4; 1 MHL 2.0 /HDMI 1.4; 1 DisplayPort 1.2; 1 Mini-DisplayPort (HDCP support on all inputs)
  • Response Time: 6ms
  • Release Date: January 2015
  • Price: $750
HP Z24s 4K Monitor

HP Z24s

• Screen:  23.8” IPS w/LED backlight, 3840 x 2160, 10-bit 60hz
  • Ports: 4 USB 3.0, 1 HDMI 1.4; 1 MHL 2.0 /HDMI 1.4; 1 DisplayPort 1.2; 1 Mini-DisplayPort (HDCP support on all inputs)
  • Response Time: 14ms
  • Release Date: April 2015
  • Price: $550

Though Dell's 27" 5K monitor might have a few more features than the HP, it's also about $1,000 more expensive. This makes the HP a much more realistic possibility for more people, though you'll need the GPU power to make it work as 5K requires two DisplayPort cables. One interesting feature of these displays is the ability to accept inputs from two different sources at the same, and do a picture by picture (in addition to picture in picture). When you've got enough pixels, those things start to become possible.

I'm sure we're going to see plenty more 4K and 5K displays in the near future (maybe even this week), so stay tuned.

Just one world.

Excellent work guys from hp you.

I most say, I would buy this monitors instead of the TVS.

January 5, 2015 at 8:09AM

Edgar More
All

Ok, but why do I want this?

High resolution with low screen real estate is an oxymoron no?

Don't I only care about this if my display is wall-sized? Otherwise how will my eyes resolve the extra detail?

January 5, 2015 at 10:28AM

According to several graphs I found, you'll resolve the extra detail on a 27" screen if you sit closer than 3ft from your monitor. On a 24", you'd need to be a bit closer, but quite frankly my comfortable distance is around 2ft 10" at my dual-screen desk, and I'd bet yours is similar, so I think we both would fall in the category of still maintaining full visual acuity for 4K content on a desktop monitor.

That is, of course, assuming that we both have 20/20 vision!...

January 5, 2015 at 2:03PM

According to several graphs I found, the extra detail afforded by 4K resolution on a 27" screen will be fully visible if you sit closer than 3 feet from your screen. On a 24" screen it would be closer to 2 feet.

At my desk, my comfortable viewing distance is between 24-34", and I'd bet yours is similar, so assuming we both have 20/20 vision we would benefit from the extra real estate.

Any distance further than 3ft and you start to lose acuity for the extra pixels.

January 5, 2015 at 2:08PM

There is a different point of view from talking about sports to actually playing them. I spend little more than 40 hours working with 3D UI this week. From sketch art, model, sculpture, retopology, bones, textures, animation. Then after effects, then sound design, then photo shop, FC.

This new screens allow me to resize my windows without losing a drop of resolution. Very sharp! fixing my trauma of having to zoom in to check crucial detail and check errors.

You most be exited too. This new screens are meant to make even better screen later on. What's wrong with more options?

Notice that I can export 8K Raw float point color space files.

January 6, 2015 at 12:34AM

Edgar More
All

Noice.
However, as in the cameras I favor, a more important item on my checklist is true 10 bit color rendering and extreme contrast ratios.

January 5, 2015 at 4:16PM

Harry Pray IV
Director of Photography/Lighting Technician/Colorist

aaaand I am an idiot. This IS 10 bit. Let the celebration begin.

January 5, 2015 at 4:17PM

Harry Pray IV
Director of Photography/Lighting Technician/Colorist

I agree. I recently purchased the HP dreamcolor 24" (on sale recently for only $600 at BH) which is only 1080 x1200 but WOW. The colors and full range RGB and REC. 709, DCP, etc is just mind blowing. I compare it to other monitors and they don't even come close to the color depth and detail which is much more important if you plan on putting anything on the big screen.

January 5, 2015 at 9:51PM, Edited January 5, 9:51PM

Brad Watts
Filmmaker/Creative Director - Redd Pen Media

Right, as we're talking about monitors, can anyone recommend a good 1080p 27" studio monitor, or a recent post about good monitors? Looking for good colour reproduction, good contrast, good image quality, fairly fast response. Overall a 'trustworthy' (not exact 'grading' monitor) image to use as a reference. I'm looking under £300/$500.

January 15, 2015 at 2:12AM, Edited January 15, 2:12AM