Which Movies Did Steven Soderbergh Watch in 2014?

If you can't decide on which films to watch this year, you might want to take a look at what director Steven Soderbergh watched during 2014.

Below is just a list of the films Soderbergh saw last year, but he names every TV show, play, and book he saw or read as well. You should absolutely take a look at his blog and read the full thing -- and then start making plans to start watching and reading the same exact things, because Soderbergh has great taste, guys.

• THE GREAT BEAUTY
  • THE GODFATHER
  • THE KILLING
  • THE GODFATHER PART II
  • CARNAL KNOWLEDGE
  • NASHVILLE
  • MICHAEL CLAYTON
  • RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (B&W)
  • MAGIC MIKE XXL
  • THE IPCRESS FILE
  • FUNERAL IN BERLIN
  • TOP FIVE
  • THE LAVENDER HILL MOB
  • THE RETURN OF W. DE RIJK
  • GASLIGHT

Soderberg watched 111 different films in 2014, although there are several repeats. That's quite a feat, but it just goes to show that watching movies is imperative to being a student of cinema (as well as a filmmaker).

How many of these titles have you already seen? Are there any films that you're surprised are on the list? Let us know in the comments.

Did he not see Interstellar?

January 6, 2015 at 8:02PM

Peter Phillips
Filmmaker

Lol that was my very first thought as well Peter.

January 6, 2015 at 10:03PM

Mine as well. I'm shocked.

January 7, 2015 at 3:40AM

Alessia Cremenescu
Film Student

This makes me feel slightly less embarrassed for keeping a similar list. Though I definitely do not go as far as logging every individual TV episode, book, and play. Kudos, Mr. Soderbergh. Out-nerding the best of us.

January 6, 2015 at 10:55PM

Oren Soffer
Director of Photography

He should just get a Letterboxd account haha. It's a lot less tedious and people can see what you've watched in real time!.

January 7, 2015 at 1:10AM

Tim Brennan
Big Boss

January 7, 2015 at 11:46PM

Micah Van Hove
Writer
director/producer

That's pretty awesome. It looks a lot like my first log back in 2009/2010, though mine has become pretty excessive (/obsessive) since then...

If anyone is interested, I've uploaded the backbone here: markeriksen.com/logbook.html

January 7, 2015 at 4:52AM, Edited January 7, 4:52AM

Watching 111 films a year is not imperative to being a filmmaker.

January 7, 2015 at 10:30AM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

Gonna agree to disagree on that one. I don't think you can really consider yourself any kind of artist - filmmaker, musician, etc - unless you keep up with the work of your peers, fellow artists and predecessors. We don't live and work in a vacuum!

January 7, 2015 at 9:04PM, Edited January 7, 9:04PM

Oren Soffer
Director of Photography

I'm going to disagree with your agreement to disagree :)

If you watched 0 films in 2015 and only spent time working on your own creative projects you would cease to be a filmmaker? You would consider that "taking a step back" in your craft?

There are exceptions to every rule and there is NO absolute blue print. That my friend, is an indisputable fact. I think you can consider yourself a filmmaker if you make videos. I think you can consider yourself a musician if you make music. It's quite simple. No pre-requisites.

January 14, 2015 at 10:59AM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

I'm going to disagree with your agreement to disagree :)

January 14, 2015 at 10:59AM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

Gonna have to disagree with this one. I don't think any artist in any field - filmmaking, music, etc - can really consider themselves an artist unless they are fully immersed in that world, keeping up to date with the work of their peers and fellow artists as well as the past masters that came before them. We don't live and work in a vacuum.

January 7, 2015 at 9:06PM

Oren Soffer
Director of Photography

Yeah I thought it was a little light too

January 7, 2015 at 11:48PM

Micah Van Hove
Writer
director/producer

You're right, that's not nearly enough films, especially for an industry director. I'd say at least 600 to 1000 a year is imperative.

January 8, 2015 at 5:26PM

You're right, that's not nearly enough films, especially for an industry director. I'd say at least 600 to 1000 films a year is imperative.

January 8, 2015 at 5:28PM

January 8, 2015 at 5:31PM

You voted '-1'.

January 8, 2015 at 5:36PM, Edited January 8, 5:36PM

January 8, 2015 at 9:24PM

Exactly! It's all about what gear you use, everyone knows that.

February 11, 2015 at 12:11PM, Edited February 11, 12:11PM

Cassidy Hilton
Freelancer

Am I the only one who noticed that you can't actually watch 111 2-hour movies in a year? There's only 8,760 hours in a year, so if you did nothing but watch movies and you didn't sleep at all, you could watch 73 movies back-to-back. So watching 111 movies in a year is physically impossible and Steven Soderergh did not actually do this. However this list still looks like a good bucket list of movies, just not a prerequisite for being a great filmmaker. This past year, I saw The Armstrong Lie, Boyhood, and Fury and they were game changers for me. Loved them each in their own way.

January 12, 2015 at 1:18PM

Sarah

umm...you may want to check your math.

January 12, 2015 at 10:08PM

There is something wrong with your calculations (they got me interested as I watched 300+ movies past year, not that I'm proud of that or something).
While there is, indeed, 8760 hours in a year, you could watch far more than 73 movies in that time. Say, we subtract 8 hours of sleep from that amount: 8760-(8*365)=2920 hours left. Say, we subtract 3 hours a day for your food needs etc: 2920-(3*365)=1825 hours for watching movies without doing anything else while having time to sleep and eat. That's roughly 900+ 2-hour movies.

January 13, 2015 at 12:19AM

R B

I can't believe what i just read...i can't even...moving on.

February 11, 2015 at 6:44AM

Stela P
director/producer

Awesome! How do you manage to live on the planet Mercury?

February 11, 2015 at 10:46AM

Jeeze, just one movie a night=365. You're dropping a few zeros on your math there lady.

February 11, 2015 at 11:08AM

January 13, 2015 at 6:35AM

Daniel Delago
Film Critic

When I had time off school for summer just recently (in the southern hemisphere) I watched 64 movies in 42 days
Here is a list: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls073786491/

Also it would be interesting to talk to Soderbergh to see his thoughts on some of these movies.

February 11, 2015 at 2:40AM

and which ones did he like?

February 11, 2015 at 5:25AM