February 17, 2015

Here's Your First Look at the Stunning 6K Footage Taken with Kinefinity's KineMax 6K Camera

Kinefinity made a big splash last year with their KineMax 6K, which is not only powerful enough for professionals, but offers internal 6K, 4K, golden 3K/2K, and 1080p with 14 stops of dynamic range at a relatively affordable price.

With the camera's release inching ever closer, Kinefinity has not only significantly lowered the price (more on that later), but they've released the first footage shot with the camera in 6K, as well as free downloads of the RAW material. (You can get them here.) Here's the list of the gear used in the video below:

• Camera: KineMAX 6K Prototype, KineMOUNT+ PL mounting adapter
  • Lens: Zeiss Compact Prime Set
  • EVF: Cineroid Retina EVF
  • Tiffen ND Filters

And here are the updated specs:

One big thing that has changed since we spoke with the Chinese company at the NAB 2014 are the prices. Originally, they ranged from $10,000 to $15,000 depending on the package, but Kinefinity has reduced them by quite a bit. Here's a quick pricing breakdown of the different packages:

• KineMax Body: $8,000
  • Starter: $9,000
  • Standard: $11,000
  • Professional: $13,000

The Starter, Standard, and Professional packages include a bunch of add-ons, like the KineAudio/Pro Audio Module, integrated battery plate, KineGrip, KineMag-120GB/240GB SSD, and much more. Both are $1000. You should also keep in mind that the prices for the first 100 units are marked down $1000 for each package. Unfortunately, 6K RAW, 4K 4:3 Anamorphic, and HiSpeed options are not included, but you can purchase KineMAX 6K RAW and KineMAX HiSpeed upgrades.

For more info on the KineMax 6K, head on over to Kinefinity

I think the image looks absolutely fantastic and the fact the the camera has so many internal codecs and crop or non crop modes is amazing. Form factor and everything just wonderful. My only gripe is the 2:1/3:1 lowest uncompressed setting, you can barely squeeze any recording on a 240GB SSD @ 4k, so basically you're never going to be recording anything 4k+ :/

February 17, 2015 at 9:07AM

Exactly my thoughts.

February 18, 2015 at 12:41PM

Gordon Robert
Blog Reader Posing as an Important Filmmaker

The KineMini, using the .KRW format, can record around 45 minutes 4K on a 256GB SSD. So it'll be around the same on the KineMax. Plus you always have the option of using a bigger SSD.

I use a Samsung 850 pro 512gb on my KineMini and it works great. that would give roughly 90 minutes 4k recording. Also, since owning the camera, I've found that Kinefinity are constantly updating and improving the cameras firmware. So they could add more compression ratios in the future for 6k recording.

February 20, 2015 at 5:50AM

Color is nice, even though DR is a bit on the weaker side.

February 17, 2015 at 11:16AM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

To be fair, 14 stops is on the stronger side if you are looking at all cameras on the market.

February 17, 2015 at 1:05PM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

Ever heard of the Arri Alexa? Google the Alexa's DR and tell me 14 stops is weak.

February 18, 2015 at 12:42PM

Gordon Robert
Blog Reader Posing as an Important Filmmaker

Look at the fucking video, not the specs.

February 18, 2015 at 11:56PM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

If you're looking at the opening shot alone you can see the higher DR. Those bright spots in the sky would be gone in most lower end cameras. Epic MX might even have trouble hanging onto them.

I see nice roll off too. Looks pretty cinematic.

February 19, 2015 at 1:28AM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

The 'fucking' video is graded, which makes the actual DR of the camera's RAW footage difficult to tell, so your point in moot.

February 19, 2015 at 8:34AM

looks pretty nice. Colors are good.. Image is clean!

February 17, 2015 at 12:21PM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

Looks pretty gorgeous! So curious about this company and trying out one of their cams. Wish they would come to U.S. :(.

February 17, 2015 at 1:05PM

Ben Meredith
Cinematographer/Filmmaker

Same here. I have been trying to get one for a long time but was hesitant to buy with no sample footage to see. They make great cameras but they need a little help in the marketing department IMO...

February 17, 2015 at 1:54PM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

Looks beautiful. I'm excited to see the results that come from real world use in the field.

February 17, 2015 at 2:57PM

William Stewart
Director of Photography

What is Golden 2k and Golden 3k? Can't seem to find any info anywhere...

February 17, 2015 at 3:28PM

Anthony Reese Schneider
Lead Editor

It uses pixel binning and an advanced algorithm to create more dynamic range without increasing the crop factor. I assume it uses some kind of gain shift in half of the pixels to create the added dynamic range.

February 17, 2015 at 11:10PM

Jon Mercer
DP/Gaffer

Goddamn, I think this may be the cinema camera that I invest in.

February 20, 2015 at 8:05AM

Geoff C. Bassett
Director of Photography

The download link for the CineDNG files failed me 5 times in a row, I'll retry it later....

February 17, 2015 at 3:46PM

Fernando Henrique de Sousa
CEO, Evil Genius, Steadycam, editor & jack of all trades

What's "Golden 2K" ?

February 17, 2015 at 6:06PM

Cosmin Gurau
Director

Very nice colors, though I've downloaded the 4k version and there's quite some moire in the boys cap sixteen seconds into the video. Maybe it has to do with slomo? Or pixel binning?

February 18, 2015 at 3:04PM

Álex Montoya
Writer/Director

I looked into their 4k camera last year but I could only find 3 sample videos posted and those were from the company itself. I liked the features and the price of the camera but since their website was only in Chinese it was difficult to get any information about buying one. It almost seemed that the company was building the cameras one at time and filling prepaid orders for them as they came in. This made me feel leary about actually following through and buying one and with no user posted examples of footage captured with the camera I bought a different camera. The footage above looks nice but until there are more user posted examples, I really would not take this seriously. The footage above looks very good as did their 4k examples.

February 19, 2015 at 5:23PM

Did you see this from their 4K camera? As good as any camera at any price:

February 19, 2015 at 9:18PM

Lance Bachelder
Writer/Director/Editor

OK- THAT is the demo footage they should be showing! That looked truly beautiful and really showed off incredible dynamic range as well as texture detail.

February 19, 2015 at 9:23PM

Douglas Bowker
Animation, Video, Motion-Graphics

Very nice footage as well. I really did like the sample footage I saw. But, when contacting the company it was not easy to get an exact price in dollars or determine when the camera would come. This was also a year ago so this situation may have changed.

February 20, 2015 at 5:34AM

I took the risk last year and bought the KineMini. The only Digital Cinema camera I had used before then was the BMCC. I'm glad I took the risk though, it is an awesome camera and they are updating it quite often.

It came with a bit of learning curve since the BMCC is pretty much just a 'hit rec' sensor in a box. This one has quite a few advanced features that put it between BMCC & RED cameras (much closer to RED imo, but price point close to BMCC).

Before I bought I was trying to find footage like you, but ended up taking the risk. Though there is now quite a bit of footage on YT or Vimeo when searching 'KineMini'.

February 20, 2015 at 5:59AM

This kind of product, if it is as good in production as what they are claiming it will be (and that's the REAL test) could be a serious "giant killer". I'd like to see some more unedited, non-graded footage - but it looks pretty amazing so far.
Still, even if I had the $10k just laying around, I'd be hesitant to buy into the very first batch- even if they featured a 90 day return policy. That's a LOT of money to sink into a new product from a new company. I'm assuming they will try and get some known filmmakers to try them out for a real-world production, the same way RED did in the early days.

February 19, 2015 at 9:18PM

Douglas Bowker
Animation, Video, Motion-Graphics

Only if they have wised up in the last year. KiniMINI: great cameras but horrific marketing. Seriously they need to send the camera to Philip Bloom and Shane Hurlbut, get the word out on these cameras and have them be more than a damn spec sheet.

February 20, 2015 at 8:11AM