February 10, 2015

Sigma Is Going Fast and Wide with Their New Art Lens, the 24mm f/1.4

Sigma 24mm F1.4 Art Lens
In recent years, Sigma has won over photographers and filmmakers alike with their high-quality Art lineup of lenses.

Today Sigma announced a new addition to that lineup, one that is sure to please lovers of wide-angle lenses the world over. It's the 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM, and like the other two high speed primes in Sigma's Art lineup (the 35mm and the 50mm), the new 24mm will cover a full frame sensor. For APS-C sensors, the effective focal range of this lens will be roughly 38mm. Like Sigma's other Art lenses, the 24mm will be available in Sigma's proprietary mount, as well as Nikon and Canon mounts.

Here are the basic specs from Sigma's website:

• Lens Construction:15 Elements in 11 Groups
  • Angle of View: 84.1º
  • Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9
  • Mininum Aperture: f16
  • Minimum Focusing Distance: 25 cm / 9.8 in
  • Filter Size (mm): 77mm
  • Maximum Magnifications: 1:5.3
  • Dimensions (Diameter x Length): 85mmx90.2mm / 3.3inx3.6 in
  • Weight: 665g / 23.5oz.

Sigma's mechanism for switching to manual focus simply by rotating the focus ring is also making it to this lens. This way, the lens can be kept in auto-focus mode for the bulk of your shots, but quick critical focus changes can be made manually without having to flip the focus switch on the lens barrel back and forth.

While we don't know the pricing or expected shipping dates of the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 at this point, this is certainly a lens that filmmakers and photographers should get excited for if it meets the same phenomenal quality standards as Sigma's previous high-speed primes in the Art lineup. The 24mm focal length is an extremely versatile and useful one for filmmakers in particular, especially those who shoot lots of handheld or with various types of stabilizers.

In Norway it's priced at the same spot as the 50mm f1.4 - at about 950 USD. Already placed an order for it.

February 10, 2015 at 12:48PM

Martin Håndlykken
Freelance ENG, videographer and editor

Pretty much just want a full set of these and sell all my Nikon lenses.

February 10, 2015 at 1:16PM, Edited February 10, 1:16PM

Brooks Reynolds
Director/DOP

I just bought a used Sigma 50 for photography and wow. Is it ever sharp. For those using this for cinema though, how do you manage focus pulls? The focus throw is incredibly short!

February 10, 2015 at 2:58PM

Sigma is missing out on the cine market with that electronic aperture and short focus throw.

I owned a set of AI-S, sold most of them, then begrudgingly bought a set of Rokinon Cine DS lenses (24T1.5, 25T1.5, 50T1.5, 85T1.5) because no one offers a reasonable competitor. Sigma would do well to fill that Rokinon niche because I am sure this new line of glass is better suited to a high resolution, sharp image.
Nikkor hasn't released a truly manual lens in quite a while if I am not mistaken. Their AI-S line is OLD. I'd love it if they brought their image quality to that world as well.
Zeiss should create a cine line for its Otus stills glass. The CP is based on the ZF design, which while sharp and creamy, is nothing compared to an the Otus or even an Ultra Prime
I wonder if a cinevised Otus would be sharper than a Master Prime with the same FoV.

February 10, 2015 at 9:30PM

Harry Pray IV
Director of Photography/Lighting Technician/Colorist

how do these compare to rokinons, who have more lenses to choose from?

February 10, 2015 at 4:39PM

Vincent Gortho
none

It matched up very well compared to the Zeiss Otus 50mm I rented. I think for the cost of the 50mm AL and how well it did for my shoot it is a bargain.

February 10, 2015 at 8:37PM

Walter Wallace
Spokesperson/Entrepreneur

I can honestly say my 50mm AL is my favorite lens of all time. If the 24mm AL is anything like the 50mm AL it will be a winner hands down.

February 10, 2015 at 4:50PM

Walter Wallace
Spokesperson/Entrepreneur

Silly question, for handheld filming, isn't image stabilisation a pretty crucial omission from these lenses? Or are we all using rigs anyway?

February 12, 2015 at 5:39AM, Edited February 12, 5:39AM

Greg Latham
One Man Band

Its not a silly question. I think it would be cool to have IS on more lenses it does help those who are shooting handheld. Canon has a wider prime with IS... I believe it is a 35mm. Although IS on these photo lenses does work in video mode, it was designed to work in photo mode and allow photographers to use slower shutter speeds to capture picture in low light or with long zoom lenses just to make images free of motion blur from moving the camera.

On the other side of that is that no cine style lenses have Image stabilization, for the big boys and girls they use steadicam's and stabilized heads for that purpose. For shooters using cameras with canon or nikon mounts lenses with IS can be utilized. I love using the canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS when using a C100 or DSLR at a wedding or Docu situation. The down side to that lens(and all Canon EOS mount autofocus lenses) is the focus ring throw is short and does not have hard stops, makes it difficult to pull focus or use marks as once you go to close focus or infinity you lose your marks.

I think it could be a good thing to see a cine style lenses with IS built in, I think it would be useful for zoom lenses, and as long as it has an on/off switch. I think that the reason it is not done on cine style lenses is that it would add too much weight and that the way cine lenses are made doesn't really allow for it. Anyone who actually knows about how lenses are built can chime in if they know more about this.

October 18, 2015 at 3:46PM

Peter Staubs
Camera Assistant

I tried this lens on a 5D Mk3 at CP+. I'm not familiar with the other lenses in the Art lineup, but the focus ring felt a bit rough to me...not the kind I would want to use to pull focus when shooting video. Takes beautiful, sharp pictures though, and is a welcome alternative to the more pricey Canon 24mm L. In terms of video, though, the cheaper Rokinon still takes the cake for me.

February 15, 2015 at 9:42AM