If you're a new writer in Los Angeles, and the local coffeehouse just isn't working for you anymore, you should apply for the 6-month free fellowship from theOffice.
What do you get with a 6-month fellowship to theOffice? You get free, premium 24/7* access from May 1, 2015 to October 31, 2015 to a quiet space with 25 workstations ranging from single desks with ergonomic Aeron chairs to sofa chairs with writing tablets, all with their own power outlets. You also get free wi-fi, complimentary coffee and tea, access to Bose noise-cancelling headphones -- oh yeah, and parking (*theOffice is closed to all members Mondays 6pm to 11pm, Saturdays 8am to 10am, and Sundays 8am to 10:30am due to outside rentals, so almost 24/7).
This means if your most productive writing time is between 2am to 5am on Wednesdays, theOffice has a place for you to write with this fellowship.
The deadline to submit for the fellowship is April 15, 2015 (so be sure to do this along with your taxes). Here's what theOffice says they need in a submission:
- An email with your contact information: Full name, phone, and email address. We will contact the winner via email.
- In the body of the email, please explain why you need this fellowship and what you hope to gain from it. (200 words or less, please)
- A 10 page .pdf writing sample of your work. Attach this to the email. Your best 10 pages. Do not submit pages that need to be set up or explained. Send 10 pages that stand alone. Only pdf submissions. All other attachments will be deleted.
Submissions should be emailed to theOfficeFellowship@gmail.com by 11:59 pm PST on April 15, 2015.
Here are few more details about the submission process from theOffice's blog:
- Do your research on theOffice. Don’t submit if you’re not local, if you’re not sure you’ll be available, if you don’t like writing in a room with others. Be honest, if you live in Pasadena and won’t want to drive across town to write every day, then this fellowship isn’t for you. If you don’t flourish in a quiet space, skip it. We want this to be of major value to the winner. Serious submissions only please.
- If you’ve never been to theOffice and would like to try it out before submitting, please do! You’re welcome to do the FREE WEEK. Just be sure to call first for availability. Contact info here. More photos of the space here.
- The field is open to ALL new writers. Submit 10 pages of your screenplay, play, short story, novel, memoir, poem, article etc. We’ll read it all.
- By “new writers” we mean you can have no feature film credits as a writer on IMDb (short films are okay) and no more than 1 hour of television credit as a writer on IMDb. For fiction writers, we just want to make sure you’re not someone with a three book deal and money to spare. Key words here are new/aspiring/struggling.
- DEADLINE to enter is April 15th, 2015. No submissions accepted past midnight PST.
- You must have sole writing credit for the sample pages you submit. This fellowship is for one (1) free membership and is non-transferrable.
- If you have any questions, please comment here, email the fellowship gmail address listed above or ask us on Twitter: @theOffice_LA. theOffice staff will NOT be able to assist you with the fellowship so please DO NOT call, email, or drop by theOffice with questions.
- Winner will be announced and notified by April 30th.
New writers in LA, you have less than a month to apply to theOffice fellowship, and it's free to apply, so why are you waiting?
As for the rest of us, it's back to The Daily Grind.