May 7, 2015

Cinevate's Upgraded Duzi 3 Slider Has New Features & Is Ready for Action

Cinevate Duzi 3 Slider
There aren't many sliders on the market that most everyone seems to like. The Cinevate Duzi is one of the few, and it just got a major update.

The Cinevate Duzi has always had a reputation for being stupidly strong despite its small size and minimal profile. However, older versions of the slider also came with some minor annoyances -- like a strangely placed carriage brake. In the newest version, Cinevate has addressed those issues.

Video is no longer available: vimeo.com/126281678

Video is no longer available: vimeo.com/126964097

Here are the new features of the Duzi 3:

• Upgraded lock secures the camera anywhere on the rails
  • Now available in two lengths: 24 and 32 inches
  • Compatible with timelapse add-on
  • Load capacity of 120 lbs
  • Integrated bubble level
  • Price: $420 for 24" and $470 for 32"

Though they're squarely in the middle of the market in terms of price -- they're neither the cheapest or most expensive -- the Duzi sliders are built to take a major beating day after day and still operate as smooth as butter, and by all accounts, they accomplish just that. This alone makes them a great tool for filmmakers who are constantly traveling and on the run, and whose relationship with their gear is perhaps less than loving at times.

You can order the new Duzi v3 sliders over at B&H

What's the name of the timelapse device used in the video? Never seen it before, and having trouble finding anything except the Moco at the Cinevate site, which seems to need belts.

Or is that just a part of the whole Duzi 3 kit?

May 8, 2015 at 12:05AM, Edited May 8, 12:26AM

Adrian Tan
Videographer

Can't find any info on the website either, but looks like it's not included in the new kit. The idea of having a non-electric timelapse system is amazing and I hope it won't be expensive

May 8, 2015 at 3:40AM

Timotion
Videographer

Adrian and Timotion,

We haven't listed Duzi's motion timelapse feature on the website yet. We're still finalizing the pricing and availability, which we're hoping to have live on the website some time next week. In terms of price, we're shooting for under $200. I'll be sure to share all the details as soon as they're finalized :)

---
Dan Walter
Team Cinevate

May 8, 2015 at 7:39AM

Dan - hope to hear more on the time-lapse module sooner rather than later. I'm about to pull a trigger on a Kickstarter campaign for a product from your competitor (incidentally campaign ends in 12 days), specifically because of the time-lapse function they have.

Your product just might change my mind and go for the Duzi3 along with whatever this time-lapse module you're teasing us with. Thanks!

May 10, 2015 at 12:02AM

Alexander,

I wanted to let you know that we've just launched Modo - Motion Timelapse for the Duzi Slider. You can watch it in action as well as learn more about it at http://cinevate.com/modo .

I'd be happy to answer any questions that you have :)

Dan

May 15, 2015 at 12:51PM

Dan thanks for responding (again) and sharing the new details. I suspected the clock-type mechanism so this is truly innovative! Still have a ton of questions, especially around speeds, synchronization with my intervalometers, etc. I'll look for updates as you make them available on your site - I'm sure many others will be interested in the same info.

May 15, 2015 at 10:26PM

I was really excited when I bought the Duzi v2 last year. It ended up being a massive disappointment as it was rocky when it passed through the middle, no matter how I adjusted the center plate and the brake came loose constantly. This was all in the first week of use. I spoke to a Cinevate customer service rep who blamed me for not locking the brake properly and was just not very helpful or nice. No more Cinevate for me.

May 12, 2015 at 11:11AM, Edited May 12, 11:12AM

Jeremy Pommier
Writer/Director/Editor/Photographer

That doesn't sound like your typical Duzi or Cinevate customer service experience. I apologize for both and would love the opportunity to make things right for you Jeremy. Feel free to send me all the details of your experience (dan @ cinevate.com) and I'd be happy to figure out a solution for you.

Thanks for the feedback
Dan

May 13, 2015 at 11:33AM, Edited May 13, 11:34AM

I have the original Duzi. Great stuff.
Envious of the lock mechanism.

May 14, 2015 at 1:15PM