June 30th is the Deadline for Upgrading Your RED Camera to the DRAGON Sensor

RED EPIC DRAGON PL Mount Black Background
Time is running out to upgrade your RED if you haven't already.

We knew the time was going to come sometime this summer, and with little notice, it's nearly upon us. If you own a RED, you should have already gotten an email, but the company has announced that Tuesday, June 30th will be the last day that a RED SCARLET or EPIC can be sent in to get a DRAGON sensor upgrade. While theoretically they have the ability to continue doing upgrades as long as they want, what they've said is that not only does it get more expensive as the volume of upgrades decreases, but that they need to make room for all of the WEAPON upgrades that are going to begin soon.

Here's the text from their email:

RED will be halting the RED DRAGON® sensor upgrade line at the end of this month. Cameras must either be sent directly to the Irvine, CA facility or dropped off at a RED global location, with an arrival date no later than June 30th, for upgrade processing.

Upgrading to the 6K RED DRAGON sensor allows for:

• Future upgrade path through WEAPON®
  • Modular OLPF system allowing for even greater flexibility and creative control
  • Compatible with the REDCAST™ Module—allowing for both streaming 4K broadcast and 3D LUTs
  • Ability to pull 19 MP stills from motion footage
  • Over 100 fps at 6K, ensuring that you never miss the perfect shot
  • Our most advanced color science ever, with improved dynamic range and low-light capabilities

Be sure to contact your Bomb Squad rep to place your RED DRAGON upgrade order before time runs out.

They seem to indicate here that it actually needs to be in their hands by June 30th, and not just paid for, so be sure to contact your Bomb Squad rep immediately to make sure that if you want to upgrade, the camera is sent out or dropped off as soon as possible. I'd be surprised if they weren't a little lenient a day or so depending on extenuating circumstances, especially if you're money is paid in full, but either way, if you want to upgrade your MX sensor, this will be the last chance.

Check out the link here for more.

No comments ? Isn't this a big thing, since it is the stepping stone to Weapon, or are other camera technology advances making people think "Meh " ?

June 27, 2015 at 4:10PM

Saied M.

I assume most people have already upgraded to Dragon?

The Weapon does look pretty badass! Just wish it had some built in ND filters and better low light performance. Other than that, can't really ask for more without getting ridiculous. Price is definitely getting up there though.

June 27, 2015 at 4:57PM

C'mon second hand epic mx price drops!!!

June 28, 2015 at 1:21AM

Dean Butler
Writer Director Shooter Editor

If you plan to "stay in the game" and already own an Epic MX or a Scarlet Dragon, you should upgrade to Epic Dragon imo. Which I did. Weapon right now is only 10% better than a regular Epic Dragon, that does not justify the 15K+ price increase for me. We'll wait and see what Weapon will become and I like to have an opportunity to upgrade when and if it becomes significantly better than my Dragon now. As for Alexa Mini - a nice little camera that I had a chance to play with, but I would advice anyone not to invest into first generation products, especially with no upgrade paths in sight. There are several things that they need to improve with mini that will make it a great camera like Epic, and my bet is they are coming with a mini XT in a couple of years.

If you don't own a camera get yourself a Sony A7S and shoot the hell out of it. Investing $50-60K into a camera is a very risky business these days. I wouldn't buy a new Dragon or Mini if I was on a market for a camera today.

June 28, 2015 at 7:53AM

The issue with the dragon though is increased vertical smear and red orbing around bright practicals and hotspots in the shot - the Weapon seems to fix this. But it seems like upgrading to dragon is not a clear cut way to go, hence I think the quick introduction of the Weapon which addresses these pretty large issues. Also for me, I feel that the motion cadence for overcranking does not feel natural to me, even with the correct shutter applied. It's a costly decision. I think it would be best for everyone to wait until the Red Weapon comes out, is thoroughly tested, and then a decision should be made. I would not advise people to upgrade to dragon - I don't think the lowlight filter gives much more to the image, well hurts it, and the highlight filter forces you to shoot at a 200 or 320 ASA to make sure the footage is clean. It's better and easier to just keep shooting on the Epic MX, and yes, no one cares much if it has a dragon on it or not, and they won't really notice in the imagery. Financially it doesn't seem smart. Just trying to help people save some money.

July 2, 2015 at 2:47PM, Edited July 2, 2:50PM

Ed David
Director of Photography

When the Scarlet was first released I was weighing my options between that and the Canon C300. I chose the scarlet because I loved the idea of shooting in raw, 4K, and the ability to upgrade the camera over time felt like I was getting more for my money. Over the years I've really come to love the Scarlet, and everything I can do with it. But as time has gone on and I started to consider the idea of upgrading, I noticed the cost of that upgrade came out to be nearly the same price as what I originally paid for the camera. It was like buying a car where they tell you that you can upgrade the engine in a few years, but that new engine costs as much the car did originally.

Now as I said, I love the Scarlet, but Red lost me for now. The whole "you must buy now", "your time is almost up", "we are giving a upgrade discount" (which was the same price as the original after a price increase) does not sit well with me. With other companies like Black Magic out there, I certainly don't have to be brand loyal. Not saying one is better than the other, just that there are more options available. And when I do decide to buy a new 4K Raw camera, it might be another company that is cutting edge and doing an upgrade for a more reasonable price.

June 28, 2015 at 9:42AM

Jeff lower
Videographer

I agree, didn't sit well with me either. I'm just waiting for the epic x battle tested and second hand price drops, it's pretty old tech now (still great though) but am looking seriously at the KineMax and c300 mk II now. The main drawcard for me with RED is redcode. 6:1 - 8:1 compressed raw is a good place to be, file size / quality wise... Would love the high speed of a red epic though... I'm in Australia (close to China) so a trip there is like a trip to Sydney or Melbourne for me so finding the Kinemax enticing. Just a shame it doesn't record cineform raw at 6k and you have to conform it later. Can honestly say I am in no rush to invest or upgrade my current setup. Things are moving so fast it doesn't seem worth spending HEAPS on a camera right now (unless your business model requires and supports it). I'll be investing in new lights, filters and lenses first as well as "upgrading" my a7s to UHD with an Atomos Shogun. Much cheaper!

June 28, 2015 at 11:17PM

Dean Butler
Writer Director Shooter Editor

The KineMax looks amazing. I'm also very interested.

June 29, 2015 at 8:51AM

I'm sorry....who else gives you an upgrade path at all?

June 29, 2015 at 8:45PM

Scot Yount
Director/Editor/Photographer/Motion Graphic Artist

It's a fair point Scot. I think if they had stuck at the original 6 grand for the dragon upgrade (from epic) people would have been stoked. That's gone up considerably and considering the new players that are shaking up the status quo, the way RED did beautifully back in the day at much more accessible price points, it does lead people to look elsewhere where they can get a new camera with a full 1 year warranty and still have money left over.

Let me be clear, I love my Scarlet. But as the need for higher frame rates is hitting me (for the work I do), better low light etc I find myself looking elsewhere where previously it was a no brainer to upgrade. There are now competitors to RED that didn't exist a few years ago. BMD and maybe Kineinfinity to a degree (not yet really).

To be honest I see myself either going Epic MX second hand (for the frame rates) or looking elsewhere. I think the images from Dragon are stellar! But my clients wouldn't know/care about the difference between that and the MX. Though I would love the latitude of the dragon for shooting outdoors.

June 29, 2015 at 11:45PM

Dean Butler
Writer Director Shooter Editor

Dean, I think you nailed it on the head. I think most people are happy with their Epics or Dragons. I don't own one, but I do know people that do and they are jumping ship. $20,000 is a lot for an upgrade for a camera and some RED users almost have to upgrade because they are in the rental market and if you don't have the latest and greatest you lose out on money.

It also makes the decision real hard to spend $20,000 on a RED upgrade when you have other stellar choices in Sony F55, BMD Ursa cameras or an Arri Alexa Mini.

June 30, 2015 at 8:12AM

Joseph Lindsay
Director of Photography/Motion Designer

Future proof? Isn't that what RED sold me? Liars.

July 10, 2015 at 2:14PM