June 19, 2015

Sigma's New 24-35mm f/2 is the Fastest Full-Frame Zoom Lens Ever Made

Sigma 24-35 f2 With Lens Hood
Sigma is once again proving that even smaller lens companies can innovate.

[Update]: This lens is listed at $1000, and is shipping right now.

Adding to their impressive lineup of zooms and primes, they've announced the 24-35mm f/2 DG HSM Art lens, the very first zoom capable of covering full-frame sensors and maintaining a constant f/2 aperture. This zoom is the newest in their Art series of lenses, which aim to give tremendous performance at affordable prices. Though they've already got a full-frame lens in the Art series that covers this range (the 24-105mm), that lens is an f/4 throughout — a full two stops slower. It's certainly nothing to scoff at, but it does put the speed of the 24-35mm into perspective. Essentially, Sigma has set out to create a zoom that can replace primes in the 24 to 35mm range, with image quality that's just as good and an aperture that's nearly as fast.

Here are the specs:

• Focal Length: 24 - 35mm (Comparable 35mm Equivalent on APS-C Format Focal Length: 38.4 - 56 mm)
  • Aperture: f/2-f/16
  • Mounts: Canon, Nikon, Sigma
  • Angle of View: 84.1° 63.4'
  • Minimum Focus Distance: 11" (27.94 cm)
  • Maximum Reproduction Ratio: 1:4.4
  • Elements/Groups: 18/13
  • Diaphragm Blades: 9, Rounded
  • Image Stabilization: No
  • Autofocus: Yes
  • Tripod Collar: No
  • Filter Thread: 82 mm
  • Dimensions: 3.4 x 4.8" (8.64 x 12.19 cm)
  • Weight: 2.075 lbs. (941 g)
  • Availability: July 2015
  • Price: TBA

Though image stabilization would have been nice, it's less important in this focal length range, and I'm sure it would have added to the complexity (and likely the price). One great feature the lens does have is internal focusing (with instant manual override), so the front filter thread does not rotate. Specs are certainly one thing, but image quality is really where it matters. Sigma already has a beautiful and sharp zoom in this range, the 18-35mm f/1.8, but it's limited to Super 35mm/APS-C sensors, whereas the 24-35mm can cover full-frame. If you shoot a lot of video with full-frame cameras like the Canon 5D Mark III, Nikon D810, or Sony a7S (and the new Sony a7R II when that's released), this one is certainly looking interesting, especially if it's just as good or better than the 24mm and 35mm f/1.4 Art lenses.

There are plenty of lenses that cover this range, but most are a bit slower at f/2.8 or f/4. That's really the big advantage for this one, combined with the relatively light weight. This could be a great lens for gimbal or drone work, as it enables you to get the most out of a full-frame sensor while still being able to adjust focal length a bit.

We don't know the price yet, but I'm expecting it to be in the same range as the more expensive Art full-frame and APS-C lenses (which are around $800-$900). It should be available sometime in July, and will have versions in Canon, Nikon, and Sigma mounts.

The zoom range is fairly limited which I hope means this lens will perform well at full aperture.

24 -35mm f/2.0 Full frame is a great range for stills and video.

June 19, 2015 at 2:08PM, Edited June 19, 2:08PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

If it delivers similar quality as Sigma's recent art lenses I'll run to buy it as soon as it's available. I've dreamt of a lens that would cover something like 28-40 at fast aperture... and this is probably even better!
I think I'd find the limited range very motivating. more thinking, less zooming... but still with some ability to change the focal length.

June 19, 2015 at 2:17PM

Clap clap, sigma, clap clap.

June 19, 2015 at 2:29PM

Edgar More
All

I'm still unsure about this lens! Yes, it "could" remplace a set of 24mm, 28mm and 35mm primes but at the cost of size (82mm filter) and weight (a bit over 2 pounds which is more than 1.5x the weight of either the 24mm 1.4 A or 35mm 1.4 A)

Advantages I could see is if this zoom cost as much one of these prime, then of course, if you can't afford two primes and you are looking the get the zoom function, then it's a no brainer.

But the size and weight still turns me a bit off...
I own a Canon 35 f2 is and I love the size and weight so I'd rather buy a small 24mm prime.

June 19, 2015 at 2:55PM, Edited June 19, 3:01PM

Danny T
Photographer

I wonder how long it will be before Sony mounts start being offered as a standard option. It's a hungry market these days- especially for full frame. I'm surprised Sigma didn't jump on it.

June 19, 2015 at 3:14PM

This lens is kind of odd. I mean for APS-C there's the 18-35mm f/1.8. I think that makes this the first lens that only makes sense for Full Frame.

June 19, 2015 at 7:11PM

Zachary Will
Cinematographer

That's got to be the shortest zoom range of all time too, isn't it? 11mm?

June 20, 2015 at 12:58AM

seanmclennan
Story Teller

Tokina 11-16mm.

June 20, 2015 at 5:28AM

Yes but the wider you go, the more dramatic of a change each millimetre has. My guess is the field of view change on each of those two lenses would be pretty similar.

June 24, 2015 at 1:50PM

Looks tempting. I don't have a 35mm for my A7s yet.

June 20, 2015 at 5:29AM

June 21, 2015 at 7:26PM

Alex Zakrividoroga
Director

Good point, this thing will still cost more than the rokinon. I'll check some reviews thanks.

June 21, 2015 at 10:29PM

Happy the C100 is Super 35, been loving the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8.

June 20, 2015 at 6:22PM

David Doel
Director, Camera Operator, Editor

I've been using the Sigma 18-35 1.8 for a while now throw it on my BMPCC and the companies RED all the time love it. Have no real reason to doubt the image quality of this lens but man the range is limited. Only downside I see

June 22, 2015 at 1:46AM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

Sigma should get into Cine lenses. What they have to loose?

June 22, 2015 at 10:52AM

I would love that haha

June 22, 2015 at 3:58PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

I've been following you guys for years now but you guys can't be putting out bad info. The Optimo 17-80 is a f/2 (T2.2) zoom and has been around for a while. Along with the Fujinon HK3 and HK4 which are both cine zooms with even faster stops at T2.0. Sorry to break up the party =[.

June 27, 2015 at 12:20PM

And none of those lenses cover full frame. How about you read the article before you criticize it?

July 14, 2015 at 9:08AM, Edited July 14, 9:08AM