Blackmagic's DaVinci Resolve 12 is Out of Beta & Available for Download
The latest version of Blackmagic's powerful editing and color grading app is finally out of Public Beta and ready to download.
DaVinci Resolve 12 is the biggest update in the history of the software with over 80 new features, the most impressive one being the fact that they've turned it into a full-fledge NLE. We talked to Blackmagic during this year's NAB event to learn what's new in this latest iteration, and if you haven't looked into it yet, here are the most exciting new features:
- Slick New Interface that's Cleaner, Easier on the Eyes
- Multicam Editing with a Host of Sync Options
- Improved Trimming including Advanced Simultaneous Multi-Track Trimming
- Nesting Timelines for Working on Large Projects with Multiple Complex Timelines
- On-Screen Controls for Manipulating and Animating Motion paths of Graphics
- Highly Customizable Transitions Using Curves Editor with Bezier Handles
- Real Time Audio Mixing by Recording Fader Moves
- VST and Audio Unit Plugins for Full Control of Audio
- Export to Avid Pro Tools for Professional Audio Mix
- Improved Media Management and Bins
Davinci Resolve 12 is free to download, but you're going to have to shell out $999 for DaVinci Resolve 12 Studio, which includes a bunch of powerful features that larger companies might need, like temporal and spatial noise reduction, optical quality motion blur effects, support for multiple GPUs, DCI 4K, 3D stereoscopic tools, multi-user collaboration tools, and remote rendering. However, if you don't need all those bells and whistles -- hey -- you've got a really beefy and really free NLE/color correction program with the standalone Resolve 12.
That's not the only software announcement Blackmagic came out with today. According to BM's Twitter page, their compositing software, Fusion 8, is now in Beta 2 testing. They didn't offer a whole lot of information on new features, but they've said that they've added "general performance improvements, recommended for all Fusion 8 Beta 1 users."