October 15, 2015

DJI Is Now Offering the Osmo 3-Axis Gimbal Pistol Grip on Its Own

DJI Osmo with Zenmuse X5
Just a week after DJI announced the Osmo, an all-in-one 4K camera and pistol grip gimbal stabilizer, the company gave buyers the option to purchase each component separately.

With this announcement, DJI has alleviated any concerns that filmmakers looking to utilize the Osmo stabilizer with a more powerful camera would have to purchase the full Osmo bundle to do so. This means that owners of the DJI Inspire 1 will be able to take advantage of the Osmo immediately without having to shell out for a lower-end camera that wouldn't get used anyway. It also means that once DJI's highly anticipated Zenmuse X5 cameras hit the market, filmmakers will be able to purchase the camera and stabilizer separately.

The Osmo pistol grip and camera are expected to begin shipping alongside the bundle package in the next few weeks. The handle kit, packaged with battery, charger, and phone holder will sell for $270. The price for the Osmo handle without the additional accessories will be $220. The Osmo camera, without the handle, will be $440.

I wonder if a BM Pocket Mini could be fitted to this? Or is this going to be for DJI proprietary cameras only, requiring special fittings?

October 15, 2015 at 9:03PM

Ben Howling
Writer / Director

Lookin' like the connection it will require is DJI only. The cameras themselves come with the gimbals to lock this in.
However another great option in a Team Rebel Design Beholder (DS-1 or MS-1) with the Blackmagic Pocket or mini.
I'm using that and getting some insanely smooth gimbal shots. Can basically take it anywhere; almost barely need my tripod/slider/rig/etc. unless the shoot specifically calls for it. Best purchase I ever made.

October 15, 2015 at 10:29PM

Ben Meredith
Cinematographer/Filmmaker

would that work with a light lens and a a7s as well?

October 16, 2015 at 5:29AM, Edited October 16, 5:29AM

Gerbert Floor
DP / Director / Camera / Editor

How expensive are the x5 camera's and how are they performing? DJI is doing some exciting stuff lately. Too bad I hear all these bad stories about there customer service.

October 16, 2015 at 5:30AM

Gerbert Floor
DP / Director / Camera / Editor

I broke the gimbal on my P3 and it was back repaired in 6 weeks. I don't think thats bad considering I've waited 2 months before for Nikon and longer for Sony.

If you want to use this kind of gear professionally you need a backup. When I damaged my gimbal I bought a second P3 and the peace of mind of having a backup is great. If the work justifies it of course.

October 16, 2015 at 8:39PM

I wonder what cameras can be used with it?
Can i use the panasonic gh4?

October 16, 2015 at 5:38PM

no, only the dji x3, x5, and x5 raw

November 23, 2015 at 6:35PM

keith testerman
Video analyst

Not bad, but I feel like its more of a toy then a tool... the lens is so wide to begin with it's already so stable... I feel like you could handheld a prime 20mm lens and be as stable, and, faster, and sharper, etc...

October 18, 2015 at 7:04PM

Roberto Serrini
Director • Editor

it isn't built to replace real cameras its built to be a lightweight steady tool. And I doubt your handholding of a 20mm lens is as stable as a motorized 3 axis gimbal. But maybe you're superman. Think of how awesome something like this is to have on a backpacking trip where how much you carry really matters. I won't be putting away my M5 and a7s but I would consider buying this as a separate tool.

November 23, 2015 at 6:43PM

keith testerman
Video analyst

It seems to be so lightweight that they have this translatory movement in their shots from not keeping the hand steady. At the handover (bar window) scene it's moving up/down/right/then left again. Next step could be y/z-stabilization.

October 23, 2015 at 9:51AM