December 6, 2015

Tips for Conquering Writer's Block (& Other Things That Keep You from Writing)

"I would be so much closer to finishing my screenplay if it weren't for this damn writer's block."

Hey, we've all been there. We've all suffered through creative droughts, staring at a blank page while our screenplays collect dust. But don't despair -- there are ways to overcome writer's block (some more unusual than others). Darious Britt offers up some tips on not only getting your creative juices flowing again, but on identifying exactly what stopped them up in the first place.

Reality check time. Is it really writer's block or is something else going on?

• Are you a lazy procrastinator?
  • Are you George Clooney pre-Amal (super afraid of committing to one project or idea)?
  • Are you totally out of creative juice?
  • Is your inner critic is Armond White?

Once you figure out what the root cause is of your waning creativity, you can start finding solutions on how to jump start it. Britt suggests a ton of different methods for each of his 4 types of creative stagnation -- change things up, write a list about what you like about your screenplay, get accountability to keep you focused, just like Nathan Fielder from Nathan For You:

How do you combat writer's block? Which symptom do you suffer from the most? Let us know down in the comments!

Darius makes some amusing blog type videos but has he ever made a film? Checked out his IMDB and there is 1 short listed. If he knows so much about it, why not write and produce a film for a change?

December 6, 2015 at 12:54PM

Harold

Maybe you should try proofreading your search in order to find the right guy: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3950093

December 6, 2015 at 1:39PM

You voted '+1'.

You beat me to it. Also, here is the site for his first feature film. http://www.unsoundfilm.com/about.html

December 6, 2015 at 1:47PM, Edited December 6, 1:47PM

José
Writer/ Director

LOL...

December 11, 2015 at 1:39AM

Kayode

I think what Harold was trying to say was, "Thank you, Darious, for providing some of the best filmmaking advice on the internet...for free.

I second that, buddy. :)

December 7, 2015 at 12:20PM

V Renée
Managing Editor
Writer/Director

Poor Harold the Troll can't even troll right...

December 8, 2015 at 10:58PM

Virani
Content developer

Good advice. Often times I'll just take a walk and listen to inspiring music, or at the very least, work on ANY other project to get my mind fresh.

December 6, 2015 at 3:57PM, Edited December 6, 3:57PM

Justin Gladden
Producer

Thats one I use a lot... if I am writing a romantic piece, I listen to all the romantic songs over and over again

December 11, 2015 at 1:41AM

Kayode

Especially like the line about how you cant edit it if its blank.

December 6, 2015 at 8:09PM

Sean Voysey
Creative Director

True true. Same here. When I deal with other writers I often tell them write something, push through it, even if it's garbage. You can always go back and edit it, but you can't just sit there and expect magic to come out of your fingers every time.

December 7, 2015 at 6:30PM

Justin Gladden
Producer

I have a friend who edits every script I write, that way I convince myself I don't have to edit as I write.

December 11, 2015 at 1:44AM

Kayode

Mundane physical activities are the best way for me to develop ideas. When I vacuum the drone of the motor drowns out all distractions and I can focus and go deep into a thought to flesh it out. I keep my phone handy to jot notes as I think of them. Instead of trying to write the details, I write summaries that jog my memory when I sit down to write. My notes are more like outlines that I can use to fill in details later when I have time. Getting the idea down helps prevent the freezing that comes from trying to remember everything.

December 12, 2015 at 12:59AM, Edited December 12, 1:01AM