January 2, 2016

Canon C100 Mark I Price Has Dropped to Just $2,500 & Mark II to $4,500

Canon C100 Mark II with Lens 1080p 60fps 50fps
The Canon C100 series has been a workhorse among many shooters, especially at lower budget levels.

The first low-budget large-sensor cinema camera from Canon, the C100 Mark I (which was announced in late 2012), has come down in price substantially to just $2,500 for the body only (thanks to Jeremy for pointing this out). If you want that version with Dual Pixel AutoFocus, it will cost another $500 for a total of $3,000 body only. As far as the newer C100 Mark II, while there is a decent improvement in image quality with the same sensor, most of the improvements are in usability. Better EVF and LCD made it a much nicer camera to use, and now you can get it for just $4,500 with Dual Pixel AF.

It's unclear whether these price drops will be permanent, but it does make sense as the original C300 Mark I has dropped to $7,000. This puts more space between these models, since the C300 was always meant to be in a higher class above the C100. As for future products, it seems like Canon has some daylight between the C300 and the C300 Mark II around the $9,000-$12,000 mark. It would not be surprising if they filled this hole with a new 4K model, or even released a 4K model somewhere even lower, but we'll just have to wait and see.

For all of these deals, which also include some lens and body packages, head on over to B&H

The Canon XC10 is now 2,000 dollars. Five hundred off.

January 2, 2016 at 5:26PM

A replacement to their current 1DC 4K professional DSLR will be announced very soon, which could become that "missing camera" in the EOS cinema line.

January 2, 2016 at 6:53PM, Edited January 2, 7:27PM

Saied M.

These cameras are a steal.

January 2, 2016 at 8:05PM

Kenneth Merrill
Director

Hard to believe that 2 years ago the C100 cost over $7000!

January 2, 2016 at 10:38PM

They must have a 4K camera coming out that they feel good about. Certainly something better than the horrid picture coming from that XC10 thing.

Apparently the a7's have been a boon for Sony. This price drop may also be a response to that.

January 3, 2016 at 1:57AM, Edited January 3, 2:06AM

C100 mark II ... no Competition to the FS5 - sadly i would love to add a Canon 4K for a reasonable price to my Collection...

January 3, 2016 at 3:16PM

Lorenz Schuster
One-Man-Band

about time. too bad already on the sony train. even if i wasn't, i still wouldn't pick up the c100 for $2500/3000.

January 3, 2016 at 8:56PM

Do you mind elaborating on why you wouldn't? Just curious.

January 4, 2016 at 6:08PM, Edited January 4, 6:08PM

What people on NFS don't realize is that specs aren't everything. You really have to use a camera before you can make an informed decision. I owned a Sony A7s for a year, and I've shot frequently on Canon C100 MK I's for the past couple years. On paper, the A7s looks like a much better camera--higher data rate, better DR, more features, etc.--but if you told me to go shoot something and then put both cameras in front of me, I would go with the C100 MK'1 every time, unless slow motion was necessary. The C100 is so much easier to use, easier to color. The dynamic range might not be as good, but the rolloff is nicer. Yes, you can do S-Log with the A7s, but it gets noisy real fast; the footage falls to pieces at the touch of a grade; you have to kit the camera out the wazoo to make it useable.

I digress. Anyway, I'm just saying people put too much stock in specs and features. There's more to cameras than that. There's a reason the C300 rented/sold way better than the Red Scarlet, even though they launched for the same price.

January 5, 2016 at 2:52AM

Kenneth Merrill
Director

I plan to at this price. It's a workhorse for wedding videography.

January 9, 2016 at 1:33PM

Luna Videography
Videographer

$4500 for the C100 Mark II.. MP4 35Mb/s

Last year's specs at this year's prices!
Sony is crushing Canon in the video market.

January 3, 2016 at 10:35PM

Derek

I love the camera but the below 50mbs for HD broadcast standards is a bummer.

January 4, 2016 at 11:40AM

Sony - This year's Sony colour and image is the same as last year's. Meh.

Canon - This year's Canon colour and image same as last year's. Thank God!
And just keeps getting better with the Alexa like colour and image of the C300MKII

Sony crushing Canon everywhere except colour and image. Who cares about those trivial things when you have specs, specs and SPECS!

January 8, 2016 at 12:04AM

James Manson
Photographer

Has anyone else noticed that on B&H it lists all of Canon's EOS Cinema cameras as "non-returnable"? Is that a common thing? At first I took it as a sign that maybe Canon is about to phase out all of these cameras for something new but if this is a normal thing with EOS cameras could someone let me know?

January 4, 2016 at 6:07AM

The Canon cine cameras have always been listed that way. Probably part of their distribution agreement.

January 4, 2016 at 4:07PM

Kenneth Merrill
Director

I bought my c100 mkii mid Nov. I emailed B&H about a price adjustment refund and they're now sending me the difference! This is what they said "We can honor a price drop within the return time and at this time we do have an extended holiday return policy that is if you buy something from 11/01/15 you can return it till 02/01/16 we will honor the price drop for that time as well".

January 4, 2016 at 12:31PM