January 5, 2016

Does Size Matter? Check out This Hilarious Short Film About Gear Envy

It's not the size that counts -- it's how you use it. I'm talking, of course, about gear.

When you see your buddy rocking a shiny, new C-300, while you're still kicking around an HVX-200 (me), it's enough to make a gal go crazy. But don't fret, you're not alone. We've all experienced gear envy at one point or another, so when director Dare Stevens sent us his short film Size Matters, which depicts two photographers trying to impress a beautiful woman with their packages -- camera packages, we knew we had to share it. Check it out below:

This is a true (and super embarrassing) story: I bought my first camera because of its size. Yeah. Of course, it had a lot of great features that I wanted, and the price was right, but if I'm honest, a lot of the reason why I chose it rather than some DSLR with interchangeable lenses was because I "wanted people to know I was a filmmaker, not a photographer." Ugh -- the hubris of youth, huh?

In the end, no, it really doesn't matter that much about what gear you're rocking. If you somehow got your hands on something awesome from the Canon C-series, sweet! (The filmmakers of Size Matters used a C-300. Ironic? Kind of?) If all you've got is the camera on your smartphone, sweet! The gear doesn't make the filmmaker. Imagination, creativity, ingenuity, and a ton of patience truly does.

In an age when people are making Sundance hits with iPhones, I think the excuse of "my gear sucks" has become quite tired. So get up,  dust off your shitty camera, and go out and shoot some stuff.

I guess it was funny when he kept extending that lens, but wow that was terribly shot.

January 5, 2016 at 4:11AM, Edited January 5, 4:11AM

mine's 300mm f5.6
top that...

January 5, 2016 at 7:30AM

Ben McAllister
Compositor

January 10, 2016 at 2:14PM, Edited January 10, 2:14PM

I think you mean the Canon C series :)

January 5, 2016 at 7:50AM

Glenn Thomas
Music video director and editor.

Man, I wish they pulled out the Sigma 200-500mm 2.8 at the end:

January 5, 2016 at 8:11AM

Michael Schmucker
Producer, Cinematographer, Animator

You can't convince me that's not a bazooka.

January 21, 2016 at 12:30PM

Part two will probably involve RED Weapon and ARRI Alexa...

January 5, 2016 at 8:56AM

Well, Arri's bigger, but Weapon is RED hot.

January 5, 2016 at 1:54PM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

Depending on the lens... the Red 18-85 Zoom is pretty much the biggest lens I have ever handled.

I sometimes work as a camera assistant for a production company who owns one of these monsters, and every time people see it they come looking at it because it is just such a monster. But usually the people looking are men, women don't seem to care so much ;)

January 8, 2016 at 4:23PM

Why is it that everyone who insists gear doesn't matter always has $$$ invested in their own gear? It's like: all others need is an iPhone, but I need an Alexa. Funny short though.

January 5, 2016 at 11:39AM

Because they've spent the money and come to the horrifying realization that they *still* can't tell stories. ;)

January 5, 2016 at 11:55AM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

Because they can be more relaxed about it. I often shoot for tv/documentary on a big ass broadcast camera, because it is just the best camera for the job. Recently I shot some kids who were making a short film with an EOS dslr and they were so envious of my camera and like "if we only had such a camera..." and I told them: kids, if I was shooting your short film right now and not a tv docu, I'd go home and get my EOS as well, because it is the better camera for the job!"

People with access to expensive gear know what the gear does and they know why they bought it and why it was a good business decision for them. But they don't expect magical things from that expensive gear like the newbies who think that if only they had a better camera...

If you want to shoot on a super expensive camera, you just have to convince somebody that your film is gonna be worth it. Once a certain amount of money is paid for a film, you can choose whatever equipment you like. But until you get there, you have to convince people that you are the guy for these more expensive films - and you can do that on a much less expensive camera. Today better than ever!

January 8, 2016 at 4:37PM, Edited January 8, 4:40PM

what is the point of this?

January 6, 2016 at 8:00PM

keith

Funny, but I think it really revealed some of the major reasons why we turn into gear whores. We have to impress that customer with our gear. I have yet to book a $2000.00 wedding video using my iPhone. Even though I have done them (for friends and they love it) and show them as samples, folks don't know it is phone footage. The client is looking for that quintessential production "look" even though they don't know what they are looking at. IMO.

January 7, 2016 at 1:22PM, Edited January 7, 1:44PM

There are big differences between iphone footage, dslr footage, and Red or Alexa footage. You might not see them on a smartphone screen, but if you shoot for big displays or cinema, and if you want to professionally grade the footage, then having a "real" camera with good lenses helps a lot.
Not saying you can't shoot really nice movies on a phone or a dslr. But if a customer wants a commercial for cinema, I'd highly recommend using a real cinema camera for the shoot. If they can't afford it, then a dslr is fine - but you are gonna see the difference.

January 8, 2016 at 4:29PM

Although I appreciate the message of this post, it totally ignores the more interesting aspects of the short, which maybe Mr. Stevens didn't elaborate on when he sent it to NFS. Clicking on the link and checking out his site, the short was shot Night-for-Day. Not that I'm a pro, but I watched that whole short without suspecting that. So, given that, yeah, gear does matter sometimes... I'm not shooting Night-for-Day with my iPhone.

January 7, 2016 at 5:41PM