January 31, 2016

Want a Cheaper Alternative to the Ice Light? Meet Yongnuo's $62 YN360 Light Wand

Choosing lighting equipment is difficult mostly because decent lights tend to cost a pretty penny. But Yongnuo's new YN360 light wand costs just $62 and provides a lot of the same features found in tools that cost 8 times as much.

Yongnuo is touting their light wand as the industry's "first LED video light made from full color RGB SMD lamps, as well as LED lamp beads," made up of 40 full color RGB SMD lamps, 160 LED lamp beads with 3200k color temp, and 160 lamp beads with 5500k color temp. It offers colors red, blue, and green, which can be modified remotely through their smartphone app. Furthermore, the YN360's luminance levels can be adjusted on the wand itself, as well as on the app.

What does this all mean? Well, it means that thanks to Yongnuo's ability to manufacture what PetaPixel calls "near-identical clones" of Canon and Nikon's most popular camera lenses at a much cheaper cost, you might have a great alternative to the Westcott Ice Light, which offers many of the same features, but at a much higher price tag of $500.

Yongnuo doesn't provide a whole lot of information about the YN360, but we were able to pull some specs from FlashHavoc:

• Color temperature: 3200K, 5500K and RGB full color
  • CRI: greater than or equal to 95
  • Mobile APP Remote distance: less than 15 m
  • Power: 19.2 watts
  • Lumen: 2560LM
  • Weight: 489 g illumination angle: 55 degrees and 110 degrees
  • Applicable battery: A lithium battery NP-F series
  • External DC power supply: 8 V DC power supply 5 A
  • Size: 583 * 48 * 24 mm
  • (Note: This product only supports phone APP remote control, NOT 2.4GHz wireless remote control)

Yongnuo is touting their* light wand as the industry's

*its

January 31, 2016 at 9:51PM

Gareth Ng
Cinematographer

I feel like a few of these could be rigged up to look like fluorescent fixtures. The biggest question will be if they are durable at all.

January 31, 2016 at 9:57PM

Jeremiah Kuehne
Filmmaker

I have their lights and yes they are durable

February 1, 2016 at 4:40AM

James Davis
Freelancer

Good to hear. I have some of their photography gear and it's all very plastic-y, but still a good value for the price.

February 1, 2016 at 10:44AM

Jeremiah Kuehne
Filmmaker

You mean the Ice Light or the Yongnuo?

February 1, 2016 at 1:33PM

Joe O
Videographer/Editor

That's awesome. I love this company. Working tools for the masses.

January 31, 2016 at 10:41PM

Vidrazor

I'll take a dozen!

February 1, 2016 at 4:06AM

Even if the CRI isn't as high as claimed, and they can't be used as a key, there are like a million uses for these suckers. The inflated price of the Icelight (and the Flex lites) has always kept me away from Wescott,

February 1, 2016 at 8:50AM, Edited February 1, 8:50AM

Joseph Moore
Director

I'll have to pick some of these up. I'd bet they are awesome for lightpainting photography too.

February 1, 2016 at 10:51AM, Edited February 1, 10:51AM

I can tell you the Ice Light is build like a brick, has an internal STRONG battery, and the light is straight up beautiful. For some applications this other light might work, but in some cases, you truly get what you pay for.

I often try to get the lowest cost on everything, even at the risk of a bad product, but I went for the Ice Light and honestly really love it. One of the most versatile lights I have.

February 1, 2016 at 11:03AM

Jordan Mederich
Documentarian / Filmmaker

Is this really going to be only $62? I haven't seen pricing details anywhere else. $62 is like $400 too low in the photo/video industry.

February 1, 2016 at 1:40PM

LukeP

I wish light companies would stop with the half 5600k and half tungsten. Just pick a temp and go with it. That's what gels are for. I would rather gel 5600k than sacrifice a full stop of light.

February 1, 2016 at 4:04PM, Edited February 1, 4:05PM

You wouldn't get twice the output anyway, unless you're willing to sacrifice half of your battery life. But that all depends on the wiring of the light. The only benefit to less diodes (by removing the tungsten ones) would be a smaller light.

February 2, 2016 at 11:27AM

Joe O
Videographer/Editor

The CRI is a discredited measure of lighting color. Come on, guys, we're supposed to be using the TLCI now: https://www.cinema5d.com/led-light-accuracy-tlci

February 6, 2016 at 6:37AM

David Gurney
DP
1959

This is actually great and so is the feature of adjustment by an app.

February 11, 2016 at 7:22AM

So... How do I buy this? I tried their website with no luck.

February 26, 2016 at 5:32PM

Jacob Cipriano Mendez
Director

It is finally here but for double the price (but possibly still worth it).

March 20, 2016 at 3:01PM, Edited March 20, 3:01PM

Cary Knoop
Member

It is available for purchase at yongnuo store
price mentioned in post is totally wrong. However, still worth that price. Received mine yesterday, looks really good

March 26, 2016 at 11:37AM