April 23, 2016
NAB 2016

GL Optics Brings Rehoused Still Glass to a Cinema Form Factor

GL Optics brings popular still camera lenses into cinema production standards.

The GL Optics rehoused 18-35mm t.20 Sigma becomes parfocal (maintains focus while zooming), PL mount with interchangeable mount with 360° focus throw for $3,500. A set of Leicas is $30,000 for a set of 6 (about $4,000 a piece). For those who can't afford to buy, these rehoused options will be in rental houses and available at rentcinemaglass.com

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

More of No Film School's coverage from the NAB showroom floor:

Why do y'all keep saying the original 18-35 isn't parfocal when everyone keeps saying its is?
So many other videos proving it. Plus I have one and it stays tack sharp through the I tire focus throw.

If yours isn't then back focus is off or faulty lens.

April 23, 2016 at 1:46PM

Timothy Cook
Self employed storyteller.

"A set of Leicas is $30,000 for a set of 6 (about $4,000 a piece)."

I chuckled when the guy said this in the video and I think it's funny that you actually quoted him, because $30,000/6 is EXACTLY $5,000, lol. Also, looking at their website it's actually a 300 degree focus throw, and that's actually an $850 option. The stock focus throw is 120 degrees.

I need to look into these more. They sound pretty great, especially their zoom lenses. Unless I somehow missed it, I'm pretty disappointed that NAB hasn't revealed any new cinema lenses in the Rokinon/Veydra/Xeen price range.

April 23, 2016 at 2:04PM, Edited April 23, 2:04PM

David West
Filmmaker

I'm thinking about sending my Sigma 18-35 in to get it all blinged up.

April 23, 2016 at 4:32PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

Someone on Youtube wrote "Cinema 'housing quality' at cinema glass price points... ehhh"
I kinda agree with him!

BTW what about lens breathing?

April 24, 2016 at 6:58AM

Rayhanur kabir
Director, DP

He said about $4k because they dropped the price on the site. 25k leica set.

If you want more affordable their zeiss contax are 13k for set of 5.

April 24, 2016 at 7:56PM, Edited April 24, 7:59PM

I have the 18-35 in the 300 degree version and I absolutely love it. I shot an entire short on this lens, minus three shots in a 50 and 85. Cuts extremely well with my CP.2 lenses and is one of the best purchases for my Dragon. Covers 5k all the way through, and 6k HD from 21 on up. Love this lens.

April 23, 2016 at 4:35PM

Thomas Koch
Director/DoP

I can't wait for them to rehouse the new Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 Art. That lens paired with the 18-35 could replace an entire set of T2.0 cinema primes!

April 23, 2016 at 11:42PM

Rich Brown
Director, Producer

I'm sorry they can't be compared to Cooke s4's or Arri Ultra Primes. The sigmas are great lenses, I own a couple of the primes. But they don't have the same characteristics of those lenses, especially the cookes

April 24, 2016 at 1:31AM

Absolutely, the big budget glass will always be the go-to on big budget projects. It’s funny you mentioned those lenses, I plan on testing Ultra Primes, Cookes, and Sigmas on my next project. If (after post-processing) the Sigmas look good enough, it will save me quite a bit of money that can be used in other areas of the production.

April 24, 2016 at 3:16AM

Rich Brown
Director, Producer

Don't forget to share the results Rich Brown

April 24, 2016 at 9:43AM

kicap

Sorry to revive a long dead thread, Rich Brown. Did you ever complete these tests? It would be great to see a comparison.

December 11, 2016 at 7:04AM

Adam Hale
Lighting Camera / Shooting PD

Nick, I wanna use Cooke primes so badly on my next project. Ghuh.

April 24, 2016 at 2:55PM