April 18, 2016
Tribeca 2016

'Here Alone': Post-Apocalyptic DIY Flick Wins Audience Award at Tribeca [PODCAST]

Here Alone film

Here Alone is a post-apocalyptic DIY film that won the Audience Award at the 2016 Tribeca Film Festival. On this episode of The No Film School Podcast we break it down.

DIY filmmaking methods often yield a finished product characterized by a small number of characters in a small number of interior locations. Here Alone is an exception: a genre film incorporating a mix of survival, zombie, and post-apocalyptic influences, it is set almost entirely outdoors. While the film does feature a small number of characters, it also involves action, violence, effects, and, yes, zombies (or as the filmmakers characterize the infected, "almost zombie-like").

For this podcast I sat down with Director-Producer Rod Blackhurst and Producer Noah Lang just before their Tribeca Film Festival premiere. We discuss the frustration of trying to make films via established industry means, the desire to break out of that and just Do It Yourself, and the challenges encountered in the making of Here Alone.

Below are some production and behind-the-scene stills from the excellent Here Alone website, followed by some the shorts Rod has had selected as Vimeo Staff Picks.

Good photography, but don't get the appeal. Charas don't seem very interesting from both shorts; bit difficult for me to care about any of them :-/

April 19, 2016 at 6:32PM, Edited April 19, 6:38PM

Kahleem - Thank you for taking the time to watch our short films. We know that our work isn't for everyone but we're glad that you found something to enjoy in them. All my best - Rod

April 20, 2016 at 11:48AM

Rod Blackhurst
Director
Director | Producer

Just watched Night Swim. Loved it. Simple and effective. Out of interest how long did it take to shoot?

April 24, 2016 at 8:40AM

John Stockton
Filmmaker, Editor.

It's a shame this has been buried by all the NAB stuff, because this is a fantastic podcast. Detailed, in-depth and generous, this will definitely be something I listen to a few times.

I also think you guys have a really admirable attitude re: sharing knowledge and experience. I think this is something you could capitalise on once the film is available to buy - I don't know if you followed what Joshua Caldwell did with Layover, but he clearly marketed that film to other filmmakers, chucking in a load of BTS stuff so even if you weren't a fan of the film it was still useful as a guide to making something with very little. If later along the line you guys decide to do that it's definitely something people will be interested in.

All the best with the film.

April 21, 2016 at 3:57PM, Edited April 21, 3:57PM

Jon Mills
Filmmaker

Jon - Thank you for the kind words. We want to empower other indie filmmakers working to bypass the arcane barriers to entry that exist in the film world. Anything we can do to shine a light on how we've scrapped and clawed our way to where we are, we're happy to share. Thanks for the love, and best of luck with your own work. R

April 22, 2016 at 12:46PM

Rod Blackhurst
Director
Director | Producer

Wonderful shorts. The Life is a real visual metaphor:) A really powerful indi filmmaking.
Respect!

April 24, 2016 at 2:28AM

NoOne
Film

They're a great demonstration of skills. They look and sound amazing. The only difference between those shorts and a big budget movie are the named 'A' list celebs that usually inhabit those roles. You could imagine Kirstin Stewart in that role. But that's a good thing for me as I love movies with unknown actors in them. I find it adds to the interest and is one of the reasons I love foreign TV and film like the recent Nordic Noir films such as "The Girl With The Dragons Tattoo" and TV shows like "The Bridge" "The Killing" and "Follow The Money" which I'm watching now and is brilliant. I'll watch your future productions with interest.

April 24, 2016 at 8:28AM, Edited April 24, 8:28AM

John Stockton
Filmmaker, Editor.

I am, generally speaking, not a fan of short films. Story components of plot, action, character development and arc and other ingredients typically need a certain amount of real estate to exist, play and properly resolve -- it is tough to build a mansion on a 1,000 square-foot lot, if you will.

That being said, I would be more of a fan if more of them delivered to the extent that Rod's do here (this is my first exposure to Rod's work). Every short film (or features, for that matter) should be this damn good.

I will be looking for HERE ALONE.

April 24, 2016 at 11:58AM